Anvil Oblivion Gate

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 1:06 am

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler (honestly, I don't know) but if it is, sorry about that.

I'm level 17 now. Actually, maybe 18.

Anyway, I'm on that quest where
Spoiler
You have to gather Allies for Bruma, so you can open the SUPER DUPER Oblivion gate.

And, one of the
Spoiler
Allies for Bruma is Anvil.

The Anvil Oblivion Gate is probably the hardest, biggest, longest, somewhat fun, somewhat really tedious, Oblivion Gate I have ever seen!

Is it unique to Anvil, or is it because I'm a higher level?

SO MANY SPIDER DAEDRA'S! They are SO annoying. So this is how the Gate goes:
Walk in. Turn left. Go in Tower. Find out you didn't even have to and there's just a corpse at the top.
Leave tower. Walk along path, turn left again. Go in Tower, nothing at the top except some loot.
Exit tower. Walk along the path until you see a cave entrance. Think "It must be optional, I've never seen that in Oblivion before"; keep walking. Do a COMPLETE circle around the whole place, hit a dead end. Turn around and walk all the way back and go in the cave entrance.

Adventure in the cave killing at least 20 Spider Daders (my term) and probably 7 or 10 Big Daddy Daders (Daedroth's).
There are like 5 segments to this cave! Seriously! You find the door "out", and it's to more cave. After 3 or so, the land slopes up and you think you'll get out. You do, temporarily... you walk up, thinking you'll end up in that big giant tower in the middle, but no, more cave! So two or three more cave segments, getting progressively harder and you're in the big tower!

MORE SPIDER DADER! Spiders, Daedroths, Clannfears, Daedra(oth?) Kynave(?)'s! Admittedly, those guys aren't that hard.

Anyway. It's not that I'm complaining about the challenge. But oh man. I hate Spider Daedra's so much right now.

So is this now what OB Gates are like for my level?! I sure hope not. I hope that was unique.

Edit and note: I hope the Main Quest isn't just Oblivion Gates from here on out... I like me some dungeons way more than OB gates. How about some outside-fresh-air adventuring too?!
Lady Shocka

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 pm

I'd recommend reading http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion_Gate. The layout of Oblivion Gates are not determined by level.

The monster types you get are determined by level, but I've never had a case of so many Spider Daedra.
Jeff Turner

Post » Sat May 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Ah, I remember that gate :)

Although, I think the worlds are random for that Quest, aren't they? I know they are for other Gates. Apparently not, thanks for the link, Velorien :)
Either way, yep, those tunnels can be fun... :D
Jason Rice

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 am

I don't mean like all attacking at once, but yeah there were I'd say 17-20 Spider Daedra's in all.

So that gate was random, not specific to outside of Anvil?

PS: Are there a lot of gates like that to still go through? Guess I might have to get used to it... I still prefer dank, cool dungeons or ruins though.

Triple edit: Sorry, just checked that link. I understand now.
Felix Walde

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 am

Tired of Spider Daedra? Try http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36737. It is like Raid for Oblivion.
Joanne Crump

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 am

The locations of the gates are set, at least certain quest specific ones, but they take you to randomly generated interior cells.

In fact both the outside environments and the interior of the sigil keeps are randomly rolled when you hit the action button on either the oblivion gate or the sigil keep. In fact the sigil stones themselves are rolled from a random loot list. If you don't like the Oblivion gate, sigil keep or sigil stone you rolled, save before clicking enter and try again.

And of course the level scaling in unmodded Oblivion is truly atrocious and often crippling. If you're lucky enough to play on the PC several good user generated mods correct this. On the 360 you'll have to find other ways to cope like the difficulty slider.
Doniesha World

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 11:43 am

I beat the game about an hour ago. Woo!

Now, onto Shivering Isles.

I'm level 19 when done. Is that about average? Will SI be balanced pretty well?
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 12:57 am

I don't mean like all attacking at once, but yeah there were I'd say 17-20 Spider Daedra's in all.

So that gate was random, not specific to outside of Anvil?

PS: Are there a lot of gates like that to still go through? Guess I might have to get used to it... I still prefer dank, cool dungeons or ruins though.

Triple edit: Sorry, just checked that link. I understand now.

you don't actually have to close that many gates. of course having more troops helps at the burma gate battle helps. there is also the signal stone for enchantments for a reason to into the gates.

but you can get some extra help. if you are head of the mage guild, you get one of them to join you. if you are head of the dark brotherhood, you can get one or two to help you. at one of the DLCs, a NPC will help you.
Travis

Return to IV - Oblivion