Artificial Intelligence: Soldiers shouldn't be that dumb...

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 am

Come on guys. Great game, but quite often the in game AI has brain dead moments. Guys in a group not noticing when a sniper has taken out a teammate. Guys lobbing grenades that kill their own guys. Guys throwing grenades from the top of a building and trying to blow me up when I'm on top of ANOTHER BUILDING.

The CELL soldiers need to be MUCH smarter. So do the aliens.

Don't just make them more bullet proof and me less bullet proof. Make the game harder by fixing the game AI.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Agreed. The enemies in this game need to react faster, a lot faster. I loved this game and am almost done playing through the game on Post-Human Warrior difficulty, but the AI reacts too slowly a lot of the time, making the game a cake walk.
Sarah Kim

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:32 pm

There have been many many times I've had a grenade thrown at me, which was actually thrown at a wall he was standing next to and then he ends up killing himself and a few others too. I try to count my blessings, mind; haha! I need to try the game on Supersoldier (atm only on veteran) to see if the AI gets any tougher.
Jynx Anthropic

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm

There have been many many times I've had a grenade thrown at me, which was actually thrown at a wall he was standing next to and then he ends up killing himself and a few others too. I try to count my blessings, mind; haha! I need to try the game on Supersoldier (atm only on veteran) to see if the AI gets any tougher.

The "game" gets tougher, but it's not because of the AI. Enemy is more accurate with shots and you die quicker. Opponents scripted "intelligence" routines do not improve with difficulty level. Not that I've seen.
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Also, one thing I want added.

Have some AI labelled as 'twitchy'. If you step on a physics object, jump, or make any kind of noise, he will instinctively spin and around and spray bullets everywhere.
Lory Da Costa

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 am

I haven't experienced even one of your listed issues of the CELL-soldiers. AI is working great for me. Only a lonely Ceph sometimes stands aroung, doing nothing.
James Shaw

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:07 am

they A.i is not dumb...just buggy
quinnnn

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 pm

they A.i is not dumb...just buggy

I would say "flawed" compared to a game like Halo.

Doubt me, there are probably 50 other people posting in the following 155 page GAF thread that would say the same.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424630&page=155

Great game, but the AI ain't much. Reportedly the AI in Warhead was much better. I can't verify because I haven't played Warhead.
Daniel Brown

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:22 pm

yeah, thats why i play with another players online.
i was dissapointed when i noticed that AI opponents shoot at me through walls (i picked a perk showing tracers) when i turn off invisibility. but rambo-style gameplay is fun even if your enemy is stupid :D
Lizzie

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Did anyone else notice cell soldiers randomly committing suicide? There was one level (toward the end), where cell soldiers would randomly scream and then collapse on the ground. I even watched a group of 4 of them just fall over. It was like they tripped on air. Not to mention how often they get stuck in walls, stop working altogether, or kill each other. The aliens are even worse because you can obviously tell they jaggedly run to nodes/waypoints on the ground then attack you instead of making a smooth transition to you.

This was all on the Xbox 360, but I assume it is the same on all platforms. Other than these issues, I enjoyed the SP a lot.
Cccurly

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 am

I know the A.I. can goof sometimes, but come on good A.I. is hell to write, especially when they are given a large area to randomly find cover or change positions. Most other games the A.I. is confined to a small space and cover, and don't react to many elements. Give em' some credit, may be buggy, but it's really advanced for a game not focused on A.I.
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 pm

yeah, thats why i play with another players online.
i was dissapointed when i noticed that AI opponents shoot at me through walls (i picked a perk showing tracers) when i turn off invisibility. but rambo-style gameplay is fun even if your enemy is stupid :D
They don't shoot through walls, the suit simply shows you the shots, even though they stop on the other side. You'll notice that beams go straight through you, but you take no damage.
Natasha Callaghan

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm disappointed, I beat Halo Reach on legendary and that was challenging. Crysis 2's Supersoldier is a walk in the park in comparison. I'm actually looking for ways to make the campaign more challenging, all do now is rush enemies now.

What annoys me the most is the alert status, if I take down a soldier and they find the body they should stay on max alert, call for reinforcements! Call in a chopper to do a scan or something to make this a little more interesting
Erin S

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

It was like they tripped on air.

Tripping on air is a problem IRL too; happens to soldiers all the time.

/sarcasm

It's quite detracting from an otherwise brilliant brilliant SP experience when a guy starts (what can only be described as) disco disco all over the place (acceptable, though, if they have just killed me). Another annoyance is that they don't retaliate if you shoot them from too far.

I remember realistic being a nightmare in Far Cry because the AI was competent. I have to continually keep myself from exploiting the AI in Crysis 2.

Edit: thinking back more, the AI in FC was completely unpredictable - even in the first 5-10s after a savegame reload. What happened Crytek?
Mark Churchman

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm

I was a bit disappointed when I started playing on Supersoldier and realized that they increased enemy bullet damage and made them more accurate. However, they do make the soldiers react quicker so it's not just cheap damage increases.

And while fixing the AI bugs won't make the AI the most amazing AI ever, I would much rather have this AI than COD veteran AI. That stuff is just BS and not fun at all.
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:47 am

They don't shoot through walls, the suit simply shows you the shots, even though they stop on the other side. You'll notice that beams go straight through you, but you take no damage.
i know. this beams are showing the direction they shoot. at me. just after the wall. when i turn my cloak off. :D
gandalf

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 am

i know. this beams are showing the direction they shoot. at me. just after the wall. when i turn my cloak off. :D

Was this on the Dark Heart level where Hargraeve is directing you to the City Hall and there is a train station with a corpse lying in a chair? Because I noticed that too. At first I thought maybe the floor was grated instead of solid and they were seeing me through that, but the floor was indeed solid. I hope they fix that.
ezra

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Deneme
Claudia Cook

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Was this on the Dark Heart level where Hargraeve is directing you to the City Hall and there is a train station with a corpse lying in a chair? Because I noticed that too. At first I thought maybe the floor was grated instead of solid and they were seeing me through that, but the floor was indeed solid. I hope they fix that.
i think you can see it on every level, i guess its just the way AI works
Juanita Hernandez

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

What annoys me the most is the alert status, if I take down a soldier and they find the body they should stay on max alert, call for reinforcements! Call in a chopper to do a scan or something to make this a little more interesting

This. quite often after a certain amount of time I'll hear someone say "all clear" even though I've killed two of their guys. Come on now. They should then be on high alert until they get me.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 pm

i think you can see it on every level, i guess its just the way AI works

No, that was the only place in my game where the AI saw me through a wall.
Danger Mouse

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:31 am

LOL yes! There was one time a soldier screamed a came flying through a door, without any kind of explosion or gunfire. He just screamed and flew. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Almost every other battle I witnessed enemies continuously running into walls, some times clipping into them. Other times enemies will just stand their staring at the wall not responding to my gunfire. There were also a few times enemies will jump over cover where I AM TAKING COVER. This game was shipped incomplete. I am thinking of just trading this crap in for Black Ops.
carla

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 pm

This game shouldnt have been released with the campaign like his, its like a beta. i had to start all over again after getting stuck from a huge bug which i couldnt get past, tryed everything other people had it so i had to start all over again, but even then i did it on super and it was way oo easy because of the dumb A.I. This is like a beta.... the campaign was ruind for me because of this and all they had to to was test it proply and finish it off proply like almost all other games campaign's.... this is stupid i am not a games tester i paid for this game i want the game finished!
Emma Copeland

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Crytek! ! ! You MUST FIX THE AI in the upcoming patch! ! !
Robert Bindley

Post » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:08 pm

To be honest its too late to fix the AI for me. i cant see my self going through the campaign again and enjoying it like i should. they should have brought the game out finished or not brought it out. tw@ts. the least they can do now is hurry up and sort the online out and should buy dedicated servers but i doubt thats gonna happen as they're beeing very greedy with this game. Money>quality .
Kevin Jay

Next

Return to Crysis