BUG - Explosive Minigun is actually broken

Post » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 am

When I say 'broken', I don't mean 'ridiculously overpowered' (It is, by the way), or 'makes the game way too easy' (occasional self inflicted insta-gibs aside)... When I say 'broken', I mean to say that the Explosive Minigun is not working as intended.

When I compare the Explosive Minigun to other weapons with the Explosive Prefix, it seems the Explosive Minigun does far more damage than it is supposed to, according to the game's damage mechanics.

All comparisons are made with a character who has maximum skill points in Commando, Heavy Gunner, and Demolitions Expert. For simplicity, I will leave out Lone Wanderer. I don't have Bloody Mess.

A fully upgraded Submachine Gun (Powerful Receiver) does 32 damage per shot with 5 points in Commando.

Add the Explosive Prefix (15x2, with 4 points in Demolition Expert), and a fully upgraded Spray n' Pray does 62 damage per shot, as I would expect.

A fully upgraded 10mm Pistol (Powerful Automatic Receiver) does 44 damage per shot with 5 points in Commando.

Add the Explosive Prefix (15x2, with 4 points in Demolition Expert), and an Explosive 10mm Pistol does 74 damage per shot, as I would expect.

A Minigun does 16 damage per shot with 5 points in Heavy Gunner.

Add the Explosive Prefix (15x2, with 4 points in Demolition Expert), and the Explosive Minigun should do 46 damage per shot, which would still make for a very powerful weapon.... yet it says 76 on the tooltip.

I believe the Explosive damage is being added in twice. I don't think it's just an error on the tooltip... as anyone who's used this gun knows how ungodly powerful it is.

I finally got a hold of one of these bad boys at over 750 hours played (I don't use any save-scumming exploits, as I feel it would've made me bored of the game much sooner)... and even using the Tri-Barrel attachment in an attempt to make it less stupid... the Explosive Minigun makes the game a bit of a joke. I'd love to keep using it, but I don't think I will.

As an aside, I'd also love to see the Minigun get Receiver (or equivalent) Attachments so that other variations of the Minigun might be viable at high levels/difficulties. Fixing the Explosive Damage and giving it higher base damage through Attachments would make the Minigun more useable in general, while also bringing the Explosive Minigun more in line with other Legendary weapons.

^_^

Return to Fallout 4