Cursed Ring of Hircine

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 am

How does the cursed ring work? As I understand, you already have to be a werewolf for the cursed ring to work, correct?
Another thing: How often do the transformations happen? I was hoping the cursed version would work like lycanthropy in Morrowind.
Teghan Harris

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 am

When you're a werewolf, you get one transformation per-day and it is completely at-will. You can never transform if you don't want to transform. The ring allows you to transform multiple times in one day.

There is also a way to get the ring and the Savour's Hide; side with the werewolf. After you talk to him after killing the last hunter, kill the werewolf and take his hide. Hircine will reward you with the Hide inside the cave and let you keep the ring.
Stephanie I

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 5:50 am

Btw interesting bug i found with the ring of hircine that made what people have been saying about being a lvl 4 vampire and unable to feed make sense if you cure warewolf with the ring of hircine on it wil bug and you wil be able to transform into a warewolf once a day with the ring

However if you become a vampire once you use the warewolf transform once you will be unable to feed ever again and permanently stuck as a vampire / warewolf that no one will talk to lol i dont know if finding the bottle of blood from jarl in whiterun takes you down to stage 1 so that u can cure it hopefully but if not bye bye save
Haley Cooper

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm

When you're a werewolf, you get one transformation per-day and it is completely at-will. You can never transform if you don't want to transform. The ring allows you to transform multiple times in one day.

There is also a way to get the ring and the Savour's Hide; side with the werewolf. After you talk to him after killing the last hunter, kill the werewolf and take his hide. Hircine will reward you with the Hide inside the cave and let you keep the ring.

This is true for the ring once it is not cursed anymore (by completing the Ill Met By Moonlight quest). Before you complete the quest (and as far as I know if you are already a werewolf) the cursed ring will randomly make you transform into a werewolf.
Johnny

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 9:13 am

Hm. Interesting. I have to say that the cursed ring has had absolutely no effect on me, and I've had it for a long time now. I was a Vampire when I got it, so I wonder if that's what broke it?
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 pm

This is true for the ring once it is not cursed anymore (by completing the Ill Met By Moonlight quest). Before you complete the quest (and as far as I know if you are already a werewolf) the cursed ring will randomly make you transform into a werewolf.
Yes, but does the cursed ring have any effect when you're NOT a werewolf?
Ebou Suso

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 pm

I can't confirm 100% on this. For myself, I was not a werewolf when I did this quest. What happened is that the screen started to turn red one time and I heard a howl (just like when you transform when you are a werewolf) but I didn't actually change. I don't know if that was just a random luck or if I could have actually transformed fully.
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 pm

I acquired the ring when NOT a werewolf and it had no effect whatsoever.
Kat Ives

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 8:38 am

I've had the cursed ring equipped for about 6 or 7 ingame days now and I haven't transformed yet. I'd actually forgotten I had it until I saw this thread.
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 pm

I am in a bit of a situation here:

I have completed the Companios quest so I am not still a werewolf.

Enough with background details now on the specific quest. I spared his life cz I really dislike Hircine and now I am stuck with a ring on my finger. A ring that probably does nothing. I can not even be sure if it causes random transformations if you are not a werewolf.

Is there any way to remove it from my finger?
Teghan Harris

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Enough with background details now on the specific quest. I spared his life cz I really dislike Hircine and now I am stuck with a ring on my finger. A ring that probably does nothing. I can not even be sure if it causes random transformations if you are not a werewolf.

I got the ring, when i was a werewolf, the description on the ring said i could turn into a werewolf more often, dont remember the exact words. Then i completed the Companions quest and cured my self. The description on the ring changed and said: Lets you turn into a wolf once a day, i wore the ring, looked in "magic" and viola, there it was, beastform. I am cured, but i can turn into a warewolf anytime i want, just by equiping the ring.
Silencio

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Yep I looked into magic as well. Ill reload a few times and see if smthng appears there.
Amiee Kent

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

You cant remove it until you leave the cave, once you are out Hircine will meet you and start a dialogue, take the ring and return a cured version. Depending if you spared the Werewolf ofc and killed the hunters instead.
Bellismydesi

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 am

Whats the deal with this ring? I have read that with it, you can change as many times as you want in some threads, and in others I read that it only lets you change one more time a day.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 am

There's a bug - basically, with the ring on, when you transform, the ring is unequipped with everything else.

Putting it back on allows you to transform again, whereupon it's unequipped again.

It appears the game is unable to keep track of how many transformations a day you perform because of this.
JESSE

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Updating what happened for me, I hope some people might find it useful and put the pieces together:

As I said I have been a werewolf once but now I have cured the lycanthropy by completing the "throw heads in fire" quest. Then I went to do the Hircine quest and decided to spare the life of the werewolf. Thinking that the quest was over, inside the cave, I try to equip another ring but this is not possible. The only way to pull the ring out is to drop it and retake it from ground. I did exactly that and walked out of the cave only to meet with Hircine who pretty much was pleased, as Chris above already mentioned. Now the ring is completely useless to my character, but it could come in handy if I was still a werewolf.

I do have one more question though. Trying to kill the hunters for the first time, I was with Mjoll and of course the werewolf dude. So even if I rarely loose an opportunity for melee combat, at that particular moment I felt like supporting and healing. You can imagine where this is going. The hairy dude did not enjoy my healing hands AT ALL. Had to reload the save file. Why is that? Is lycanthropy considered some kind of undeath in TES?
victoria gillis

Return to V - Skyrim