do dawnguards main quests cancel out skyrims main quest

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 pm

possible spoilers

so im on a dawnguard mission to find a scroll, but i havnt got up to that part in skyrims main quest as i like to leave that alone, on skyrims main quest im at the cornered rat part, in dawnguard im at discerning the transmundane? will playing through the dawnguard quests cancel any out or ruin the main games main quests at all? thanks
megan gleeson

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 am

possible spoilers

so im on a dawnguard mission to find a scroll, but i havnt got up to that part in skyrims main quest as i like to leave that alone, on skyrims main quest im at the cornered rat part, in dawnguard im at discerning the transmundane? will playing through the dawnguard quests cancel any out or ruin the main games main quests at all? thanks

I'm on PS3 so no dawnguard for me yet. But from what I've read on the forums you actually need to do the main quest and get the scroll to be able to do the DG quests to completion.
Harry-James Payne

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:06 pm

You have to do the Discerning the Transmundane part, but that's it.
You don't need to do any part of the Main Quest before or after it.

It won't break the main quest either, if you come back and want to do it after Dawnguard.
Liv Brown

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05 pm

You have to do the Discerning the Transmundane part, but that's it.
You don't need to do any part of the Main Quest before or after it.

It won't break the main quest either, if you come back and want to do it after Dawnguard.

So wait is it part of the MQ line? I'd assume you have to do some quests to progress to it.

Or can you just grab that one randomly at any time?
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Or can you just grab that one randomly at any time?
Even without Dawnguard installed, that quest can be done at any time, by any character.
It's technically more of a daedric quest, but also ties into the main quest of Skyrim.
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Even without Dawnguard installed, that quest can be done at any time, by any character.
It's technically more of a daedric quest, but also ties into the main quest of Skyrim.

Oh never realized that. When I did it I just progressed to it naturally xD
Hot

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:28 am

Wait, wait, wait. I didn't quite understand. I play the game with MQ modded out (hate the main quest). Does this mean I won't be able to finish Dawnguard? :o
Fluffer

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Wait, wait, wait. I didn't quite understand. I play the game with MQ modded out (hate the main quest). Does this mean I won't be able to finish Dawnguard? :ohmy:

You'll need the dragon elder scroll, which can be obtained without doing the MQ, but you need the scroll for the MQ and dawnguard.
Rudi Carter

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 am

Wait, wait, wait. I didn't quite understand. I play the game with MQ modded out (hate the main quest). Does this mean I won't be able to finish Dawnguard? :ohmy:
Why on Nirn would you mod out a whole questline? It's dangerous because of other quests that might accidentaly get broken. Mods like Live Another Life that allow you to start the MQ and any point are better.

Anyway, in this case removing MQ changes nothing. Technically, Discerning the Transmundane is a daedric quest and can be done without starting the MQ.
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Assuming it modded it out by merely blocking off an early quest, you should have no problems. Dawnguard or not, you've always been able to acquire a Dragon Scroll via DtT. Since its a quest item you can't screw up by losing it, and since you can get it back if you sell it to the one person who accepts it, there's no problem.
WYatt REed

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 pm

ok thats cool cheers for clearing that up for me, i wasnt sure you guys would even understand what the hell i was trying to say at first, yeah it is weird that you dont have to progress in skyrims main quest to get to that specific quests, in dawnguard, but as long as it doesnt mean it will cut out the earlier skyrim main missions before that quest, that cool, i didnt think it would cuz otherwise cornered rat would dissapear from my quest log or just say complete or something
Chloe Yarnall

Return to V - Skyrim