Dragons are worse than Oblivion Gates

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 am

I actually like fighting dragons, but sadly I don't come across them very often. I need to go looking for dragon symbols on the compass to find them and their dragon walls.
Steve Smith

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 am

I have not seen a Dragon in days (real life days) in my game and I play about three hours a day. I'm rather sad.

And I don't miss those infernal gates one bit.
Myles

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 am

Oblvion Gates were just poor game design. They were so similar and boring.

Dragons are more like Cliff Races, too numerous, easy to defeat, and annoying

What I would do would be to make dragons 20% stronger and 20% less plentiful

:D
Maria Leon

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:43 pm

In the meantime, PC players can open the command prompt, click on dragon, type kill then enter

I will be definitely avoiding the main quest next play through
Jeff Tingler

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:10 am

Oblivion Gates were cool the first few times, but after a while when I saw a Gate out in the wilds I would just ignore it and move along. That is if I even bothered to get far enough in the main quest for them to spawn.

Now we have Dragons but the difference between them and Oblivion Gates is that if you ignore a Dragon it's going to follow you and kill every NPC you go near potentially ruining quests, killing shop keepers, etc. After dropping a Dragon for the 30th time it gets really routine. Dragons arn't a challenge, just like Oblivion Gates weren't, they are just time consuming but as I pointed out earlier if you ignore them the game will punish you for it.

All of this would be a lot more bearable if the game wasn't literally throwing Dragons at you by the bucket load.

All in all I feel that the frequency of Dragons needs decreasing somewhat with their difficulty increasing.

ok all i say is, play master, with Iron helm. boots, gloves and studded armour and banded iron shield... for roleplayability... and see if they're no longer challange ;P
james reed

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:17 am

They're the new cliffracers, I think that would be a better comparison

Epci comment!
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 am

Dragons are okay, i agree there far to easy and i play on master, tho most dragons arn't agressive to me, they just do there fly path's and are on there way.
Tom

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:11 am

I want dragons to attack towns and disrupt my game, I want them to give me a reason to want to take them out.
Usually though, if I run into a random dragon it's just out in the middle of nowhere, or they just do a fly by to say whats up before moving on.

All this talk of dragons swooping down and eating NPCs, lighting up towns. . it's friggen awesome. Wish it would happen to me.
KIng James

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 am

Dragons are a gimmick. A cool selling point, but lose their appeal quite quickly.
BethanyRhain

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Dragons seem a little too frequent, but mainly if you are fast traveling all over the place. The only reason I fast travel is because horses are garbage and i can run faster on foot than my fat ass lazy horse can run. He sprints for 5 seconds and then has to walk for an hour. I'm going to start shooting fireballs on his ass to speed him up, but then he thinks he can take me so that is a bad idea.

I play about 5 hours a night and usually get one dragon unless I'm seeking words of power then I might get a few. They are a little stronger with 1.2 patch I can feel their flames/frost now a little bit where before it was like catching a nice tan or cool breeze. "What was that, did you feel that honey?" "I think it was the wind".

OP had mentioned dragons breaking quests... I don't think so. Because when dragons are coming the guards yell "everyone inside" and also most quest givers are essential, and I'm pretty sure all quests are "unbreakable" unlike fallout new vegas.
Jon O

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 am

The appearance of dragons seems to be based on progression in the main quest, I'm not even sure if dragons appear before your fight against the one at the west tower of whiterun, other then Alduin's appearance in the intro of course. Just like how not going to Kvatch in Oblivion didn't spawn oblivion gates. As it goes, Dragons seem to have sweet spots, so as long as those sweet spots don't land in a city you can generally just avoid them...

As for oblivion gates, I use to speed run them, they were surprisingly easy to speed run considering that you didn't actually need to engage the deadra in battle most of the time.
Queen Bitch

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:51 am

Oblivion Gates were the worse thing about Oblivion :mellow: And Dragons are very fun but I want 2 of them to fight me at once more often.. I can take down dragons kind of fast now..
gandalf

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:22 am

I disagree with topic. Hated oblivion gates. Dragons encounters are not a problem for me at all. I fight a dragon every 4.5 hours of gameplay, roughly on average. (almost 90 hours played, absorbed 19 dragon souls, playing on expert) I wonder if some people are having more frequent dragon encounters. Once every 4 to 5 hours is totally acceptable as far as I'm concerned.
Russell Davies

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:24 am

Dragons don't appear frequently in my game. Besides, they don't spoil the scenery like those horrible Oblivion Gates.

This, i hated seen red sky and creatures coming from the gate attacking me and even if you wanted that gate gone you had to go in spend 10 min till you close it and than go out

While with dragons is like this:
1.Dragonend shout ( to force him to land)
2.Use 3-4 power attacks
3.Take his sould

A less than 2 min job, so yeah dragons do no bother me even a little plus i like to hear the voice when they are flying around it really sounds cool.
Robert Devlin

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:45 am

I'd like to have much more dangerous high level dragons, and I'd also like them to appear less frequent. But when they do, they shouldn't always stay until killed, but wreck some havoc and then move on. And the roaring sound reverbiating in the mountains - pure awesomeness. The sounds are great, can't say the same about generic ambience loops which are way too short and don't even reflect the current weather (howling wind and not a tree moving :P - maybe it's my settings though, don't know).
Raymond J. Ramirez

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:42 pm

i dont encounter many dragons that arent near word walls and i wander the wild alot and some of the random dragons fly off in fear of my axe...many did i chase n shout at only to watch them fly into the horizon.

as for Ob gates being better your out of your mind...i dreaded having to go in them as finding my way thru the tunnels and into the right tower was a nightmare, not to mention all the xvilli (sp)
n dremora lords along the way
Matt Bigelow

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Ever had a fight with one of the big daddy dragons (elder/ancient)?

you are in for a shock
Jah Allen

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 am

Ever had a fight with one of the big daddy dragons (elder/ancient)?

you are in for a shock

I was quite shocked at how fast they went down to dual wield power attacks.
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 pm

I would prefer tough dragons, but they should be limited to being quest bosses, or on remote mountains. They should NEVER appear over a city, unless it's part of a real quest. Random dragons just svck.
CSar L

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Now I think of random dragon attacks as an FML... Especially when it happens in the middle of a town or at the College

has happened to me twice once at the college leaving hall of attainment... boom frost dragon, then one appered in whiterun only to be pelted by guards with (wait for it) arrows to the knee. (sorry couldn't help myself)
true story
Jessica Phoenix

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 am

ok, both me and my friend have had this happen to us: we'd be doing something in the hall of attainment, walk out, and BOOM. a dragon just lands right in front of us. I've had this happen like 3-4 times, but i've seen it happen to him maybe 8 or 9. anyone else having this happen to them? oh, and dragons are way better than oblivion gates. I really don't mind fighting them, if only they were a bit more challenging, and had a few more attacks. maybe i'll just kick the difficulty up.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:39 pm

I really liked the dragons at first, but after a while they became too frequent. I'd step outside of a city and BAM dragon attack, then fast travel to a bandit cave I needed to clear out and BAM another dragon. I want to tell them to take a break and calm down, I won't be leaving Skyrim for a while yet, pace yourselves.

And that's not even counting all the times they simply taunt you by flying slowly overhead, leaving you standing there gazing into the sky for 5 minutes like an idiot, before they just fly off to kill a rabbit 5 miles away.
Louise Dennis

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:00 am

I actually liked Oblivion gates, they increased my fame and offered some good loot and those things that gave enchants. I also felt like I was purging the Daedra as well, but I do understand why they seemed tedious after a while.

Dragon attacks are fine, but I just don't like when they attack when I'm all alone, I usually just kite them to a town or something.
jennie xhx

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 am

Not really a problem when I can dual-cast fully perked thunderbolts for free. :P
Blessed DIVA

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:50 am

You guys have to teach me how you get Dragons every 15 minutes.

I get a Dragon every 3-5 hours when lucky and most of them are pretty tricky for me still... (Yes, I tested all stages of the MQ; different characters.)
Kanaoka

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim