how do i use azura's star?

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:50 am

it's currently empty so how do i fill it and how do i use it?
Wayne W

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:47 am

It fills like a normal soul gem, you use it the same way. I think it's got the priority of a grand soul gem so if you've got smaller ones empty it won't fill unless you are capturing a grand soul.
A Boy called Marilyn

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Common sense is a virtue.
Amanda Furtado

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 am

It works just like with normal soul gems, cast soul trap and kill the target or use a weapon enchanted with soul trap (cant remember the exact name sorry)
If your problem is that it doesn't hold souls yet you need to complete the Azura's Star quest which you can start at Azura's Shrine at the top of a mountain just south of Winterhold
ijohnnny

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:18 pm

it's currently empty so how do i fill it and how do i use it?

It works as a reusable grand or black soul gem, depending on how you choose to complete the quest associated with it. You fill it and use it just like you would regular soul gems of these types.
Chase McAbee

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 pm

This artifact is associated with the quest Daedric quest "The Black Star." You acquire the quest first from Aranea Ienith at the Shrine of Azura. You then are welcome to go talk to Nelacar at the inn in Winterhold. He will tell this item is capable of being a refillable black soul gem. Either person you talk to will have you go into the star to purge the soul within it. Each person has a slightly different ending to the quest, but I personally sided with Nelacar for enchanting purposes. I'm not sure how it works to fill it if you side with Aranea, but if you go the other route and turn it into the Black Star, it can only be filled with human souls (the same as a black soul gem). When it is the Black Star, it is never "consumed" and it just needs to be refilled. To capture a soul, you need the spell "Soul Trap" to either cast before killing your target, or you can disenchant it from a weapon and then place it on a bow. Both work the same way, but the enchant/spell has a time limit (target must die within X seconds). The quest conclusion is completely up to you. :)
Tom

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 am

Also to note, if you choose not to make it the Black Star, I think it needs to be filled with larger souls, something like a mammoth. I'm not sure there is anything else big enough to fill it besides human souls, which are placed in black soul gems. :)
Floor Punch

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:36 am

This artifact is associated with the quest [...]

Seriously? The topic alone is spoiler enough
Phoenix Draven

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Seriously? The topic alone is spoiler enough

Possible Spoiler ahead:

So from what I read a black soul is a sentient sould or human....correct? I also read that either star could host a white soul....what is that?
Cameron Garrod

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Possible Spoiler ahead:

So from what I read a black soul is a sentient sould or human....correct? I also read that either star could host a white soul....what is that?

As far as this, no, I don't think anything but human souls fills the Black Star. A white soul is something that is not human. Human souls are considered "black" because it's associated with a form of necromancy and is considered evil to kill someone. especially just to fill a gem, but alas, also makes them super powerful. A white soul is anything non-human. But, to fill this gem, it needs to be a grand soul, which is something like a mammoth. Hopefully this helps you.
Mr. Allen

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 pm

As far as this, no, I don't think anything but human souls fills the Black Star. A white soul is something that is not human. Human souls are considered "black" because it's associated with a form of necromancy and is considered evil to kill someone. especially just to fill a gem, but alas, also makes them super powerful. A white soul is anything non-human. But, to fill this gem, it needs to be a grand soul, which is something like a mammoth. Hopefully this helps you.

Actually I don't think it needs to be a grand soul to fill the gem, it can be any size. With regular soul gems they can hold any soul that size or lower, so a grand soul gem can be used to trap a petty soul if you want to, Azura's star works the same way only it is reusable
Roddy

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:37 am

Common sense is a virtue.

No its not
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't know if its worth using Azura's Star (I've done the quest). I've filled the Star, saved my game then used the Star to charge one of my enchanted weapons.
It does work but you loose the Star, when recharging a weapon. What was the benifit of that? :confused: I could get a Grand Soul Gem (or Black), fill it and use it!
Monika

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:47 pm

Actually I don't think it needs to be a grand soul to fill the gem, it can be any size. With regular soul gems they can hold any soul that size or lower, so a grand soul gem can be used to trap a petty soul if you want to, Azura's star works the same way only it is reusable

Yeah, what my post reads is that if you have it as the Black Star, it takes a human soul to fill. If you just have Azrua's star, it needs something like a mammoth (level 38). It's a grand soul gem, and unlike other soul gems, it does not allow for a lesser type soul to get cast in it. At least it doesn't for the Black Star, it could be different for the other version. The only type of Black Souls available are human souls, so any human soul will fill it with a grand soul.
Jack

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't know if its worth using Azura's Star (I've done the quest). I've filled the Star, saved my game then used the Star to charge one of my enchanted weapons.
It does work but you loose the Star, when recharging a weapon. What was the benifit of that? :confused: I could get a Grand Soul Gem (or Black), fill it and use it!

If you think you lost the star, look in your misc inventory for the item to refill it. If you lost the item, it's a glitch. This is a refillable soul gem, and also a daedric artifact. You use the item once, and then it becomes empty, where you must either go kill a human or a mammoth (to have a grand soul) with soul trap to recapture the soul (depending on which version of the item you have). I've never had the item disappear, so if you truly don't have it, it's a glitch.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Also, this item can be sold to vendors, so be careful not to sell it. I would think that's the only time the item would actually disappear, so be careful. My version is worth 1000 septims.
Ashley Tamen

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:16 am

And it's far more useful if you take the Rolling Stones' advice and Paint it Black!
Katy Hogben

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 am

This is incorrect. You do not lose it. It won't show up in the recharging menu if it doesn't have a soul in it, but it will still be in your inventory.

Yeah, what my post reads is that if you have it as the Black Star, it takes a human soul to fill. If you just have Azrua's star, it needs something like a mammoth (level 38). It's a grand soul gem, and unlike other soul gems, it does not allow for a lesser type soul to get cast in it. At least it doesn't for the Black Star, it could be different for the other version. The only type of Black Souls available are human souls, so any human soul will fill it with a grand soul.

The Black Star will only be filled with Grand Souls because it is a Black Soul Gem, and they are all like that. Azura's Star will hold White Souls, which can be any size. However, since it can hold a Grand Soul, any smaller empty Soul Gems you have will be filled first before Azura's Star will be used.
Katie Samuel

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:56 am

white star=hold only animals, mammoths have grand souls if you want to fill it with a grand soul, otherwise its good for just capturing animal souls and recharging enchanted items.

black star=holds all souls including human which are always grand and this one is good if you plan on doing a lot of enchanting.
Jamie Lee

Return to V - Skyrim