I Just Discovered the Most Overpowered Enchantment

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Absorb Stamina. I'm playing an assassin/thief character, and have level 15 enchanting. I took my falmer sword and put a drain stamina enchantment on it with a grand soul gem, and reduced its power down so it only drains 1 stamina point per hit. I went to test it, and you can pull of consecutive power attacks without pause. I just slaughtered all of whiterun with this beastly weapon, and it has over 500 charges because it's so weak.

This is crazy, and I thought I'd share it. Amazing thing to have. I have 500+ hours in Skyrim and I've never discovered how awesome just 1 point of stamina drain can be.

Edit: Changed Drain Stamina to Absorb Stamina.
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 am

Drain, or absorb?

And I can usually wipe out armies of people with no stamina so, I'm not sure of the significance of this.
lucile

Post » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 am

Having one point left in stamina is enough for a power attack to still work?
Steve Smith

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 am

yup. Thats the purpose behind veggie soup and venison stew.

Considering that those already exist, the 1pt absorb is an ok enchant. Certainly not OP considering the former is made out of cabbage and tomatoes.
Alex [AK]

Post » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 am

Yes. You only need 1 stamina. If you have more, then it will drain the normal amount. But you need at least 1 stamina to do a power attack.
Drain, or absorb?

And I can usually wipe out armies of people with no stamina so, I'm not sure of the significance of this.
Absorb it sounds like.
Michelle davies

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Considering that those already exist, the 1pt absorb is an ok enchant. Certainly not OP considering the former is made out of cabbage and tomatoes.
Bethesda really knows how to make a game not challenging. :stare: It is almost a new challenge. :pinch:
sally coker

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 am

Yes, absorb. Sorry. And the significance of this is pretty great for me, but I guess I'll explain it.

I would choose to raise my stamina through leveling because it would give me more power attacks and bashes. With this enchantment, all I have to do is make contact with the enemy and I have enough power to bash or power attack. Bash-swing-bash-swing-bash-swing. Or if you don't use a shield, you can just constantly rain power attacks down and focus all of your level ups into health or magicka if you're a hybrid. I think this is absolutely fantastic, and opens new doors for hybrid characters.
Siobhan Thompson

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:52 am

And I would say this is better than veggie soup because you don't need to consume anything, and you still have 500+ charges at minimum enchanting with a grand soul gem. I can only imagine what you would have at max enchanting.
Juan Suarez

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Thus enchanting a weapon with Absorb Stamina affords the highest asking price of any enchantment on that weapon.
Big mike

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Good tip. I'll keep an eye for such a thing. For the first time ever I have a character who uses two-handed so this should come in... um, handy.
Lucky Girl

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm

This is monumental. I don't think anyone else is seeing how amazing this is haha. I should make a list of the uses for this. Being a light-armored shield-and-sword warrior on master difficulty might be able to contend with the archer build.
Daniel Lozano

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:03 am

wow this is brilliant
Lilit Ager

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm

i feel dumb lol. this is going to be tried. im stickin with Mehrunes Razor when i go two handed for the insta kill chance, but another blade with that would be sweet.
Alexx Peace

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm

i feel dumb lol. this is going to be tried. im stickin with Mehrunes Razor when i go two handed for the insta kill chance, but another blade with that would be sweet.

Two handed? Do you mean dual-wielding, cause the razor is a one handed weapon.
Liv Staff

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Bethesda really knows how to make a game not challenging. :stare: It is almost a new challenge. :pinch:
I really don't get what you mean by this, I mean, it's a single player game, how you play is up to you, if you want a challenging game, then don't hunt around for exploits, simple as that. If you are one of those people unable to resist cheats and glitches, well that's something you should bring up with your psychiatrist, not the game developers.

back on topic, seems like a neat enchant, I know I always run out of stamina fighting some of the higher level dragons, between power attacks and shield bashing, this could come in handy.
Charlotte Henderson

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 pm

... We discovered this way back in Nov.

The most effective dps weapon set in all my testing so far is having all the dual wield perks and two max-upgraded Daedric one-handed weapon. One is enchanted with fiery soul trap and absorb stamina. The other is enchanted with fiery soul trap and absorb health.

Having absorb stamina enables you to fire off unlimited power attacks and absorb health is an effective form of health regeneration against ranged opponents sniping you from far while you are mowing down the melee opponents in your face.

Details on fiery soul trap: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Fiery_Soul_Trap
BRIANNA

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:45 am

I really don't get what you mean by this ...
I will explain it to you.

Combat is a game mechanic. Games offer combat for a reason. For some games is combat everything, or rather it is their only aspect. In Skyrim is combat not everything. There are many things one can do in Skyrim without a fight, which adds diversity and freedom to the game. The purpose of combat is however a particular one. Combat is there to create challenges.

Power attacks require you to have stamina, just like magic requires you to have magicka. Not having enough stamina should result in a punishment, like not being able to do another power attack and failing to block. It is the same with magic and when you run out of magicka and you become unable to cast another spell. The combat mechanic creates a challenge and the player needs to overcome it by planning for the case when he/she runs out of stamina, magicka and health.

The problem I see is that when it is enough to need only one point in stamina to do a power attack then you lose some of the challenge.

Imagine being able to cast any spell if you had only one point in magicka. Why increase magicka at all on a level up? You could simply use the 100 you get at start and not ever increase the amount of magicka on your character.

Imagine being able to take any amount of damage and to survive if you had only one point in health. Same here. The health regeneration could end up making you immortal.

Ask yourself then, why put any points into stamina when you can just use a weapon like the OP or eat a soup?

Stamina stops being a challenge.

And yes you can play the game the way you like. I think this is pretty obvious. I do like a good fight and the challenge that comes with it. It is what makes a fight good to me. I have no problem with the challenges, in fact I want them and it is why I bought this game.

It kind of creates a new challenge, too. The challenge to compensate for the flaws of Skyrim's combat mechanic and to maintain it to keep combat challenging. This is not why I buy games...

I see it as a bug.
Andrew Lang

Post » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am

lol agreed.

This is not why I buy games...

I see it as a bug.

Not really a bug, just a design that does not make logic to you.

I personally tend to learn about the game then use the information to design the character I want, rather then expecting common sense from the game, there are a lot more broken quests and quest items that actually stop you from progressing the story, thouse are more significant then allowing your character to performing power attack with 1 stamina, you should not be that easy to give up the game by saying 'this is not why I buy the game'.

Even able to perform power attack with 1 stamina, the game still provide enough challenge.
lilmissparty

Post » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 am

Not really a bug, just a design that does not make logic to you.
Which is why I say that I see it as a bug. Do not tell me what makes sense or what is logical to me. I dislike nonsense. I do not have to like it, do I?
Philip Rua

Return to V - Skyrim