Kvatch Rebuilt Site infected?

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. Oh yeah, I got lots of pop-ups and whistles! I think both Firefox and MSE detected something and went into high alert! Everything got removed - no probs.

Edit: Keep us posted. I've an avid fan of KR and would like to know where things are at. Thx.
Brian Newman

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:01 am

Alright, glad to hear. I'll also try to. I am a fan as well.
Rodney C

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:11 am

Just checked Zaldir's blog and he responded to capitalsown: basically confirms that the forums were hacked and are now sending out a virus. He says he will contact Ionis to see what they're doing about it. Zaldir only does modding and has no idea how to fix. Might have to prod him to see how the KR add-on is coming :)
Lily

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 am

I actually just got back from Zaldir. I just sent him a PM asking if I can copy it to this thread. It seriously clears all this up.
Bambi

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:45 am

Statement from Ionis:

Hello,

I am aware of the problems with Kvatch.net, I'm quite saddened by the sorry state it's in, I had some good times on those forums lol. I have not spoken to the web host since before KR was released and even then it was Elessar who acted as intermediary handling the site business, thus he also had the FTP login details. Unfortunately Elessar is no longer active and this means I myself cannot actively do anything about it. I would advise you and everyone else to steer clear of the site.

Concerning the future of KR, I very much doubt there will be another version, with Elessar and the original team gone I cannot see myself or Zaldir releasing a 1.2. However Elessar and I have always had the view that KR should be open-source and moddable so if anyone wants to release bug fixes or what not they are welcome to.

In regards to KRU I left that in the capable hands of Zaldir, the last I saw of it it was quite far along so I may actually return to help him iron out a release, we shall see!

Sorry to keep everyone in the dark about Kvatch.net I hope this clears things up :).

Ionis

I'll edit it into the OP.
Kelsey Hall

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:27 pm

That's too bad. I knew Elessar and Ionis were gone, but at one point Zaldir thought he might do some things with KR once KRU was done. Maybe it's too much to take on. I'm wondering who's paying for the website though? They should just shut it down...
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 am

Huh? Ionis isn't gone... Also, I'm assuming Elessar is paying for it considering Ionis said he is the guy with the FTP authentication info. Anyways, just because it's the end of the original iteration doesn't mean it's over. Since Ionis said he wanted it to be free I'm sure another group can take up the reins.

Honestly, though, there wasn't much more I wanted from it content-wise.

Maybe a few randomly generated quests sort of like the settlement defense quests in Shivering Isles so that area didn't just seem dead when you finished all the quests.

I'd also liked to have seen that settlement below Kvatch where refugees stayed to have become a full fledged, minor town. Voice acting would have been great, too.

In terms of content, KR is absolutely solid.

Now, there were a few aesthetic things and minor bugs (I remember that manor where the gardener lived was marked as yours, or at least not his. You couldn't trespass, you could sleep in his bed, and you could take everything. It was pretty funny. I also remember the bandits weren't marked as hostile, not sure why, maybe they didn't belong to the bandit group in the CS. You could walk right in and take the shipment. You could even talk to them all. That was also pretty funny) but those aren't factored much into content for me.

I DID, however, think the castle interior was too dark and I think the walls should have had a different mesh instead of using the same mesh from the destroyed interior. Er, if you know what I'm trying to say.

ANYWAYS, I am tangenting off like crazy here. But whatever, I'll keep running with it.

With that all being said, however, I'm not sure if it's really worth anyone taking up the KR reins, considering how painfully obvious it is TES V is going to be released soon, what with all the leaks and such.
Lauren Graves

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 am

We had a long thread going on the KR forums on the bugs we wanted fixed. There are a few. We also wanted quite a few enhancements. Basically there was enough work for a substantial release. You've just listed a couple that we didn't even mention. We had issues with the Count. There are also issues when the player chooses to become Count. Apparently there are also problems when you try to do the arena stuff - I've never done any of them personally, so I can't comment.

Somebody should fix the site or remove it. I don't think it's right to leave it sitting there feeding a virus to anybody who visits!
Scarlet Devil

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:08 am

Short of contacting the host, there's not much to be done until the domain expires in April 2011.

TESA had a project going for quite awhile to add voice acting. I wonder how far along that got? Whatever they've recorded, plus whatever stuff you guys wanted to do and some bugfixes a 1.2 release would have been nice to see to round things out.

Spoiler
The player statue is also bugged, it moves.

Honey Suckle

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm

We had a long thread going on the KR forums on the bugs we wanted fixed. There are a few. We also wanted quite a few enhancements. Basically there was enough work for a substantial release. You've just listed a couple that we didn't even mention. We had issues with the Count. There are also issues when the player chooses to become Count. Apparently there are also problems when you try to do the arena stuff - I've never done any of them personally, so I can't comment.

Somebody should fix the site or remove it. I don't think it's right to leave it sitting there feeding a virus to anybody who visits!

Well if they are using a browser like IE and therefore don't get a warning, frankly they deserve the virus. No I'm kidding :). Yeah, the whole fixing/removing thing is going to be an issue, I think. Ionis did say that Elessar handled all the server stuff, and he's gone. Maybe he payed for it yearly or something, and the server hasn't expired yet. I don't know. It appears Elessar is really the only one who is capable of doing anything immediately. Anyways, I listed bugs that weren't mentioned? By the way, I think a few of those were from a slightly earlier release, because I do remember playing it later on a new hard drive without some of those bugs. I do remember having problems with the Arena. Not sure what it was exactly, but I remember having some sort of problem. I think it may have had to do with exiting or something.
JESSE

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Maybe a few randomly generated quests sort of like the settlement defense quests in Shivering Isles so that area didn't just seem dead when you finished all the quests.

I'd also liked to have seen that settlement below Kvatch where refugees stayed to have become a full fledged, minor town. Voice acting would have been great, too.

With that all being said, however, I'm not sure if it's really worth anyone taking up the KR reins, considering how painfully obvious it is TES V is going to be released soon, what with all the leaks and such.

Yeah, I used Kvatch Rebuilt last play-through and enjoyed it immensely!...up until all the quests were done and my statue installed. After that there was little reason to visit the city. For that reason alone I'm using another of the Kvatch renovation mod this time 'round. (The one I use now doesn't allow active participating (quests) during rebuilding, but its various phases can be observed.)

I will point out that an excellent town on the site of the Kvatch refugee camp already exists if one installs http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/Decrepit_Waste/ESIV%20Oblivion/WolfsGateNorth_1.jpg. In conjunction with http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/Decrepit_Waste/ESIV%20Oblivion/KvatchEastWatchTowerBanners_1.jpg (which has had a fairly recent update) Kvatch County is much enriched. Both can be found at NEXUS. I'll not provide links due to the recent virus scare there.

Not sure why the theoretically upcoming release TESV makes further development of Oblivion mods pointless. Morrowind still has an active and healthly modding community, and there's even a major upgrade for Daggerfall (DaggerXL) in the works. Surely Oblivion will be the same.

-Decrepit-
jessica Villacis

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 am

Not sure why the theoretically upcoming release TESV makes further development of Oblivion mods pointless. Morrowind still has an active and healthly modding community, and there's even a major upgrade for Daggerfall (DaggerXL) in the works. Surely Oblivion will be the same.

-Decrepit-

Not really pointless, I just mean I don't know if it's worth going to all the work without seeing how the next game is going to be. Frankly, I've always been a little disappointed with Oblivion. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. It just had a lot of problems. Like how everyone looks 65 years old, and the youngest looking character you could possibly create in the vanilla game still looked somewhere between 30 and 45. Or leveled mobs. Or lack of vocal diversity. See, I think Morrowind still has such a big modding community because, honestly, Morrowind is still worth modding. Seeing what a great job Beth did with Fallout 3 when it came to NPC models and voice acting really has me excited for the future. I don't know if Oblivion will still be worth modding if TES V meets expectations.
Robert Devlin

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 am

I think I share the opinion of many here when I say there isn't going to be a TES V. However, there's a thread dedicated to that speculation and I don't want to derail this one. As it stands now the Kvatch Rebuilt site is busted and we should just stay away from it. We'll just have to see if anything develops with KR or KRU.
naome duncan

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 am

Fair enough. However, I'd like to discuss that with you andalaybay sometime.
latrina

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:59 am

I don't think the site isn't spreading or feeding any virus, because I can't visit http://www.kvatch.net/ site anymore and the forum is also gone.
Laura Ellaby

Post » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 am

When he posted that before, it was there and was attempting to feed people a virus if the forum link was used.
Zosia Cetnar

Previous

Return to IV - Oblivion