List of Known Quest Conflicts

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am

I learned the hard way that you can't finish "Oh My Papa" peacefully if you complete the quest "Don't Make a Beggar of Me" first. PCs have a workaround, console players are stuck. That got me thinking - are there any other quests in this game that, if completed, break other quests? I'm not talking about choosing a faction or doing things that entail the failure of another quest - I mean situations where a quest that SHOULD be completable cannot be due to some earlier quest.

Known:
-"Don't Make a Beggar of Me" will prevent the straightforward completion of "Oh My Papa."
Tamika Jett

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 am

-Completion of the main quest will make all other quests unplayable.
Chris Cross Cabaret Man

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 am

I'm serious. I know there's a guaranteed conflict between "Don't Make a Beggar of Me" and "Oh My Papa." If you complete the first before the second, you cannot complete the second without killing. This is not, however, an intentional outcome of "Don't Make a Beggar of Me."

Are there any other such conflicts?
CHangohh BOyy

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:03 pm

If you usurp Elder McNamara and make Hardin the new elder you have to blow up the BoS bunker before the "You'll Know it When it Happens" quest, as opposed to allying them with the NCR.
Shannon Marie Jones

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:23 am

If you usurp Elder McNamara and make Hardin the new elder you have to blow up the BoS bunker before the "You'll Know it When it Happens" quest, as opposed to allying them with the NCR.

This is not a bug related quest conflict, I get annoyed with people thinking it is. Hardin survived the NCR attack on Helios One and hates the NCR with a passion, this all comes out in his dialogue, why would anyone expect to be able to get him to say oh okay I was wrong and ally with the NCR? Sometimes you make a decision that will preclude you from making alliances or ending the game in a certain way, that's a good thing.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:44 am

This is not a bug related quest conflict, I get annoyed with people thinking it is. Hardin survived the NCR attack on Helios One and hates the NCR with a passion, this all comes out in his dialogue, why would anyone expect to be able to get him to say oh okay I was wrong and ally with the NCR?

I didn't see you specify bug related, sorry.
biiibi

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 am

I didn't see you specify bug related, sorry.

It wasn't even me who specified anything (the OP DID however specify that), I guess you weren't concentrating too well - we've all done it sometimes no harm done :D
Jaki Birch

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 am

It wasn't even me who specified anything (the OP DID however specify that), I guess you weren't concentrating too well - we've all done it sometimes no harm done :D

I must be out of it, I thought you were the OP in my reply...

Going to bed now.
Jessica Stokes

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 am

If someone’s got the time (I don’t) it would be super cool to compile the known interrelated quests bugs on one page.

edit: On the wiki that is...
Dawn Farrell

Post » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 pm

I know one bug:

Dont repair tabithas robot if you want to upgrade raul, because if you upgrade its robot then loyal will dissapear into the side of black mountain for some reason....THIS ALSO MAKES VOLARE IMPOSSIBLE SO DO THAT QUEST EARLY ON.
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:41 am

This is not a bug related quest conflict, I get annoyed with people thinking it is. Hardin survived the NCR attack on Helios One and hates the NCR with a passion, this all comes out in his dialogue, why would anyone expect to be able to get him to say oh okay I was wrong and ally with the NCR? Sometimes you make a decision that will preclude you from making alliances or ending the game in a certain way, that's a good thing.

You are making an assumption of what a character would think or would not think, which isn't exactly the same as game mechanics...

Strictly going by the definition of a coding bug, it is not a coding bug; however, it is an error/oversight in quest development. If you help Hardin become overseer first, and then you follow the NCR quest, the NCR quest still gives you a choice (destroy/diplomacy), but in reality, you cannot make a choice, because there's no dialog trigger/option to even ask. So, a ) there should be a quest check to see who the Elder is, and based on that, either give you the destroy/diplomacy option, or just the order to destroy; or b ), a dialog trigger where Hardin tells you he will never help the NCR.
Cheryl Rice

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:08 am

"You can count on me" and "There be Grass", just happen to me last night.
Chantelle Walker

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 am

For the record, I exhausted all the dialogue paths I could find with Hardin, and he didn't say anything to me that suggested he hated the NCR. It's entirely possible he had further dialogue, but that it was unavailable for some scripted reason or perhaps via a glitch. I inadvertently shot myself in the foot by supporting Hardin despite being careful about trying to align the NCR and Brotherhood.
Alexxxxxx

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Also, completing 'How Little We Know,' before completing (or even initiating) 'Bye Bye Love,' will render the latter unplayable. I believe you can do them in the other order without problem.
Guinevere Wood

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 am

If you talk to Old Lady Gibson at the Gibson Scrap Yard before meeting ED-E, the quest "ED-E My Love" will still point to her but will not actually start with her. In the interest in giving as few spoilers as possible, I'll just say that you CAN continue the quest by talking to someone else, who is named on the wiki (though it didn't work for me last time I played even though I did start with Old Lady Gibson, so I'm not sure what the deal is...).
Dalia

Return to Fallout: New Vegas