Low FPS on PS3 other solution...

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Ok so almost a year ago i have bought Skyrim with all DLC's for my PS3, even if i allready have it on my PC... "Trophy junkie" :P

Anyways, even after the latest Patch i got really LOW FPS when playing over 150h and a save file over 14mb.

What i noticed is that after restarting my PS3 and turning off auto save, it just didnt do the job for me, the game was still laggy as hell, actualy unplayable, it was like a SkyrimSlideShow.

SO!

I solved the entire problem by reducing the HDMI Resolution output and lowering the Colors in the Display Settings.

I have been playing with the setups for a while and i have found out, that Skyrim on the PS3 can be played with a high FPS rate without losing to much on the Graphical quality:

What to do:

Settings \ Game Settings \ PS - Upscaler Off <- This one might not do much change but its better Off, turn it On when playing PS One Games.

PS - Smoothing Off <- Turning this one off will greatly improve the PS3 FPS Rate. (Works on other games as well: Mass Effect 3 etc...)

Settings \ Display Settings \ Video Output Settings \ Select HDMI cable \ Select Costum Method \ Select only 576p and 720p <- The difference in FPS is like night and day! Graphics, well you wont see much difference lets be honest...

Settings \ Display Settings \ Screen Saver \ Do Not Use

Settings \ Display Settings \ Cross Color Reduction Filter Off <- I didnt test with just this option on, so i dont know if it helps, but who cares just turn it off...

Settings \ Display Settings \ RGB Full Range (HDMI) Limited <- Now this one is Skyrims sworn enemy, i found out that if it is set to FULL the game will stutter every 10sec when running around the RIFTEN AREA, turn it to LIMITED and all you gonna see stutter is the Texture loading on the trees in the distance, the FPS on the other hand is going to be smooth! Well, the colors are a bit blank though, but some textures like Water and stones will actualy look much better then before when all textures seemd like they where humping each other. So yea go with LIMITED.

Settings \ Display Settings \ Y Pb/Cb/Cr Super-White (HDMI) Off <- i dont know what this does, i didnt find any graphical difference except that the FPS was better when turned off.

Settings \ Display Settings \ Deep Color Output (HDMI) Off <- If you have RGB FullRange on Limited then turn this off as it wont work otherwise, at least in Skyrim.

So, if your game is still slow after deleting saves and restarting your PS3, try this options, you can always turn them back on, also they work wonders on other games ;)

Hope It Helps

BR Vasja

Spooky Angel

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:52 am

Interesting, I'll try this out when I pop Skyrim back in the tray.

I get terrible framerate when I'm in dungeons with smoke or fog. Its really bad in forts.
Jack Walker

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Oh i see, give it a try it works great on my PS3 :smile:

I even got a great framerate in Mass Effect 3 specialy in Multiplayer where there is to many explosions.

Also i was able to do the last 2 Capture the Fort with the Storm Cloaks with a steady frame rate, before the changes was a slide show.

Chris Duncan

Return to V - Skyrim