Morrowind Code Patch Issue

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 am

I was just wondering if it is possible to use Morrowind Code Patch and a No-CD patch at the same time. I've heard you can use a .exe no-CD fixer after installing MCP, but I haven't been able to get this to work. Does anyone have a link to one that might work? I'm running the latest (1.6.1820) patch.

Just so you know, I own a legal copy of Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon, so don't start with the piracy crap. The thing is, I prefer to not carry discs around in my laptop case just so I can play the game when I'm travelling. I worry that the disc will get scratched or wrecked in some way, which would be the end of Morrowind for me; I live in Australia, and can only buy Morrowind from the US nowadays (for some reason stores stopped stocking it a long while ago), which means I have to pay the price of a modern game just for the shipping! So please, don't bother telling me off for wanting a patch so that I can ensure I can reinstall Morrowind if I ever reformat or replace my laptop.

Thanks guys, sorry about the rant, just bugs me when people assume I've pirated the game, when it's been worth around $10 (the price of dinner) for a few years now (until stores stopped stocking it of course)!
Monika Fiolek

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm

I was just wondering if it is possible to use Morrowind Code Patch and a No-CD patch at the same time. I've heard you can use a .exe no-CD fixer after installing MCP, but I haven't been able to get this to work. Does anyone have a link to one that might work? I'm running the latest (1.6.1820) patch.

If you wish to use both the mcp, and play without the disk, your better off downloading Daemon Tools Lite, and some iso burning/copying software, that way you can create a false cd/dvd drive on your hard disk, and have the iso image of your copy of morrowind play off of it. The current no cd patches do not work with MCP, or vice versa as far I know.

Edit: Honestly though, its not worth the effort, there is no way that your dvd/cd drive is a limiting factor in your morrowind performance, and you may in fact encounter more errors trying to play w/out the disk than with it. Personally, I understand the desire for the convenience, but I can't really say that the pros outway the cons. Beyond that, I'm not sure of the legality of copying the iso image of the game...I am sure there are more knowlegable people on these boards then I.
Vincent Joe

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 10:35 pm

You can use the MCP with a no-cd patch, but you will have to patch yourself the executable after applying the MCP. It's not really difficult, an hex editor and a basic knowledge of hex editing will do the job. Just remember that you're not allowed do to that. ;)
Nymph

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 pm

I used a no-cd crack for my legal copy for a while and overall it's a pain in the neck. There are NO performance issues playing from the disc. It takes very little effort to put the disc in the drive when you want to play.

I recently picked up an extra GOTY online for about $12 U.S. in case something ever happens to my copy of my favorite game. A small investment if one is worried about future disc damage.

Legal is better.

And it's only a matter of time before this thread is closed, BTW.
JD FROM HELL

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 pm

As far as US copyright law goes, you are allowed to make a backup of electronic media. So why not just burn a copy of MW as your *play* disk, then keep the real one in storage. No harm no foul if it breaks, except for having to wait 'till you get home for making another.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks guys, I might try the imaging thing if I get desperate, but it's kind of a pain to have to burn my game and install Daemon tools just to play it.
I tried applying the no-CD patch first then MCP, but did not work.
I'm not looking for performance enhancement, I just want to carry my laptop around without having to worry about carrying CDs for every game that I own.
flora

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:02 am

There is no performance drop because the disk is accessed only when game is loading to check if it's original. But I don't know whether that would work with backup copy of Morrowind, or not - I didn't try it.
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:41 am

There is no performance drop because the disk is accessed only when game is loading to check if it's original. But I don't know whether that would work with backup copy of Morrowind, or not - I didn't try it.

The Morrowind disk (or at least my version) doesn't have any anti copying stuff. No bad sectors or anything like that. Just a simple check if the file exists.

Or it at least, doesn't check for the bad sectors.
Mandi Norton

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 am

We don't really want to have no-CD discussions here, sorry.
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Return to III - Morrowind