[BETA/WIPz] Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics #2

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm confused. Not to sound too stupid or anything, but I just want to make absolutely sure: does this Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics pack add any new NPCs and unique dialogue for all the NPCs already existing in the game, or does the first pack just alter just the sounds and graphics alone?

And if the first pack does not add any new NPCs and adjust the dialogue for all the pre-existing NPCs already in the game so that their dialogue is unique, can you tell me if there will be a Morrowind Overhaul pack that will be released that does that and when it will be released?
ijohnnny

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Are you saying it's better because there are more trees?
in the final release you can activate vality's forested bittercoast and balmora mods whith the Morrowind Sounds and Graphics Overhaul Options :D

If you look closely, everything has shadows. That makes a world of different :) and MGE XE results in a huge performance boost, even with the shadows, which is priceless. The extra trees are a novelty, but I like it. Also the textures utilitized for buildings, in my opinion looks sharper and more in the spirit of Morrowind (look at the last pic). But again thats personal preference :)

Really what I was trying to get across was. MGE XE, use it! The shadowing and the performance boost is priceless.
Amanda Furtado

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 12:47 am

If you look closely, everything has shadows. That makes a world of different :) and MGE XE results in a huge performance boost, even with the shadows, which is priceless. The extra trees are a novelty, but I like it. Also the textures utilitized for buildings, in my opinion looks sharper and more in the spirit of Morrowind (look at the last pic). But again thats personal preference :)

Really what I was trying to get across was. MGE XE, use it! The shadowing and the performance boost is priceless.

But, does the guy whose blog pages you linked to have all of the sound and graphical enhancements in one large mod pack and can he create a self-installer that will install every mod cleanly and without difficulty and without any conflicts like K1NGPIX and his team? That is an important consideration for all of us Morrowind newbies who are new to Morrowind and don't know how to wrestle with each mod individually to avoid conflicts or who simply don't have the time and effort to do modding and who find the whole effort sort of overwhelming.
Emily Shackleton

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 6:29 pm

But, does the guy whose blog pages you linked to have all of the sound and graphical enhancements in one large mod pack and can he create a self-installer that will install every mod cleanly and without difficulty and without any conflicts like K1NGPIX and his team? That is an important consideration for all of us Morrowind newbies who are new to Morrowind and don't know how to wrestle with each mod individually to avoid conflicts or who simply don't have the time and effort to do modding and who find the whole effort sort of overwhelming.

To answer your question, no he does not. But, you're missing the point. His modding guide is considered, AFAIK, the best guide out right now. I gather this by the number of posts I've read on the topic, generated by the mass of discussion following the Morrowind 2011 release. In almost every thread on or about that topic, Morrowind community veterans pointed out that if you had the patience, Knots' guide would provide the superior gaming experience (against Morrowind 2011).

Now on to your comment about it not being in an easy-to-install pack. You're right, Knots' guide appears (and most likely is) difficult for people not familiar with Morrowind modding (myself included). In addition, the Morrowind Overhaul provides an aforementioned pack and is a large part of its purpose and the reason many newbies will use it. None of this I deny.

However,if you look closely at MorrowPlayer's comments, he says: "I really think you should consider add[ing] this guys work into your overhaul"

He is saying that since Knots did such a great job with his guide, perhaps it should be referenced when considering the mods to include and/or how to do it. He is not hating on the Morrowind Overhaul, just making sure KINGPIX and others know that this guide exists, is considered to be the best out there by many of the community, and perhaps a lot could be gleaned from reading over the guide and speaking with Knots. Maybe Knots could be consulted or even added to the team. The addition of MGE XE could make a HUGE difference on its own.
Holli Dillon

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 12:23 am

To answer your question, no he does not. But, you're missing the point. His modding guide is considered, AFAIK, the best guide out right now. I gather this by the number of posts I've read on the topic, generated by the mass of discussion following the Morrowind 2011 release. In almost every thread on or about that topic, Morrowind community veterans pointed out that if you had the patience, Knots' guide would provide the superior gaming experience (against Morrowind 2011).

Now on to your comment about it not being in an easy-to-install pack. You're right, Knots' guide appears (and most likely is) difficult for people not familiar with Morrowind modding (myself included). In addition, the Morrowind Overhaul provides an aforementioned pack and is a large part of its purpose and the reason many newbies will use it. None of this I deny.

However,if you look closely at MorrowPlayer's comments, he says: "I really think you should consider add[ing] this guys work into your overhaul"

He is saying that since Knots did such a great job with his guide, perhaps it should be referenced when considering the mods to include and/or how to do it. He is not hating on the Morrowind Overhaul, just making sure KINGPIX and others know that this guide exists, is considered to be the best out there by many of the community, and perhaps a lot could be gleaned from reading over the guide and speaking with Knots. Maybe Knots could be consulted or even added to the team. The addition of MGE XE could make a HUGE difference on its own.

Yes, perhaps you are right. If what you are saying is true, then Knots guide should be referenced when considering the mods to include and/or how to do it and he should be given due credit for providing a step-by-step guide which gives instructions on how Morrowind players can have the latest and greatest Morrwind out there. His guide is useful.

That does not, of course, take anything away from K1NGPIX and his team's effort, as they definitely deserve some praise for adding everything altogether into one mod pack and for thinking of creating an easy-to-use self-installer that will enable Morrowind players to have the options of what mods to install while making providing a convenient way to install the mods all at once. That makes it easier for all newcomers to Morrowind who are not, or do not have the time or effort to become Morrowind-literate. I'm sure future players of Morrowind will appreciate K1NGPIX and his team's effort very much, and will thank him very much for it once his mod packs are completed. And, as to whether or not Knots could be consulted or even added to K1NGPIX's team or whether to add MGE XE to K1NGPIX and his team's modpack, that of course, is up to them.

By the way, does anyone know how Knot's guide would work with mods that add more NPCs to Morrowind such as Morrowind Comes Alive and Living Cities of Vvardenfell?
Lori Joe

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 pm

How do you get in contact with Knots anyway? I couldn't find a way to do so from his blog. When I press the "Knots the Inane" link in the Contact section of the View my complete profile link at the right-hand section of his blog, I just get a message that reads: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (aim) isn't associated with any program."

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with Knots?
Everardo Montano

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi,

Yes I saw Knots' guide, I think that it's a very good guide, well written and complete (maybe the best out there) ! Yes we can do a "collab" and maybe include him in our team. We are a team that want to work with all the community and we like suggestions/help from all of you. So, yes, why not! Knots is for sure a competent person an he's welcome.
Oh, thanks for mention it, I forgot that guide in the link suggestions included into the Overhaul :)

Of course we know MGE XE, I tried it myself, and of course is amazing! But I will not include it since it's only a "beta/tech demo version". Or maybe we can include it as an option in this little customization program:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2461/mgsooptions.jpg
Maybe that can be an idea, which needs a complete guide. But remember that MGE XE actually has some little defects, and potentially can result in some problems when used by newbies.

To answer @ some of you: no, the Overhaul doesn't include NPC additions/modifications at all (except Animated Morrowind), because they aren't Graphics Mods.
They are included in the "suggested mods" links and they are 100% compatible with the package :)

I'm having trouble getting this installed properly.

After the step where I open the TESTool.exe and "Merge Objects for active plugins," I then open the launcher and go into data files but I have no "Merged_Objects.esp" mod to select.

Here is a portion of my TESTool log file:

I'm new to modding Morrowind so maybe I screwed up the first few steps involving the install of "Better Beasts?"

I'll try restarting the entire process tomorrow but if anyone could confirm my issue I would appreciate it.

Hey,
Yes, you kept all the .esp files from Better Beasts.
Just choose one (I suggest better beasts b.esp), and you will be fine.
This problem is solved in the final version, that contains LizTail New Beast Bodies :)

Thank you all.
Melung Chan

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 am

To answer @ some of you: no, the Overhaul doesn't include NPC additions/modifications at all (except Animated Morrowind), because they aren't Graphics Mods.
They are included in the "suggested mods" links and they are 100% compatible with the package :)

Thanks for responding K!NGPIX,

Do you intend in the future to create a modpack that includes NPC additions/modifications all in one package? Or is the Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics pack the only modpack that you guys will be making?
Jose ordaz

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Just an FYI...this "Knotts Guide" you all are talking about looks like the exact same guide I've seen on multiple sites by multiple people.

Don't know if the one you linked above is the original, but its certainly the worst formatted one I've seen.

There are lots of guides out there. I don't know of any that I'd classify as "the best" since so many are tailored to the person who wrote it.

Here's a good example as well: http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/
XPidgex Jefferson

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for responding K!NGPIX,

Do you intend in the future to create a modpack that includes NPC additions/modifications all in one package? Or is the Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics pack the only modpack that you guys will be making?

This is only the first pack.
We want to make a second pack that it's going to cover atmosphere, some gameplay, some quests, and so on.
That will be an hard work, but we are sure that something good can be done :)
Laura-Lee Gerwing

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 8:20 pm

How do you get in contact with Knots anyway? I couldn't find a way to do so from his blog. When I press the "Knots the Inane" link in the Contact section of the View my complete profile link at the right-hand section of his blog, I just get a message that reads: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (aim) isn't associated with any program."

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with Knots?

A little searching didn't pull up contact info, other than that in AIM his screen name is "Knots the inane". I added him as an AIM buddy in gchat, so we'll see what happens. If i get a hold of him, I'll point him here. Also, he has an Encyclopedia Dramatica account, with a post about his guide http://forums.encyclopediadramatica.com/showthread.php?t=9644.

If someone here is a member of their forums, they could probably contact him.

Just an FYI...this "Knotts Guide" you all are talking about looks like the exact same guide I've seen on multiple sites by multiple people.

Don't know if the one you linked above is the original, but its certainly the worst formatted one I've seen.

There are lots of guides out there. I don't know of any that I'd classify as "the best" since so many are tailored to the person who wrote it.

Yeah, its a good point. I was only trying to say that in the backlash of all the Morrowind 2011 drama, a lot of people were pointing out that Knots guide produces a better experience. My reading indicated that those who were writing about Morrowind 2011 (and there were a lot) felt that this was the best guide, overall. This is subjective on their part, and does not indicate a large amount of research on my part.

This is only the first pack.
We want to make a second pack that it's going to cover atmosphere, some gameplay, some quests, and so on.
That will be an hard work, but we are sure that something good can be done :)

SO eagerly awaited. I feel like I want to hold off playing Morrowind again until I have both packs from you guys... its just going to be SOooooo hard to wait the months(?) until both are released!

Thanks so much guys.
Queen of Spades

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't remember... is there anything actually necessary for any quests in the books? I understand that they will be in Italian. I know that just opening some will give you bonuses, but are any of them necessary to read for anything, or are they just for atmosphere/history?

It would probably be good for me to learn some Italian words like "shield" and "sword" and such so I can more easily identify the books that give bonuses!
lucile davignon

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 3:15 pm

That one, is the one I used the first time I tried to setup a morrowind modded. Its excellent, but trust me, they are NOT the same. Not be a long shot. Knots gives you a FAR better looking game, especially with the MGE XE, configued the way he suggests. This is of course completely BS'd by my personal taste. As for the Overhaul, just to stay on topic. I will follow you guys closely, and as I think I said early, I really like what you got going here. As I said in a post of my own, I might want to try and do a animation overhaul (by that I mean, changing all the animations), however I'll need some guides in how to get the animations into 3DS max, and how to get them back out.

With Morrowind now looking better graphically then Oblivion, you could potentionally revive Morrowind for the masses with this project :)
Bones47

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 am

Hey,
Yes, you kept all the .esp files from Better Beasts.
Just choose one (I suggest better beasts b.esp), and you will be fine.
This problem is solved in the final version, that contains LizTail New Beast Bodies :)

Thank you for your help with this. One additional problem I had was that my Merged_Objects.esp was not created in the Data Files folder so it was not showing up in the launcher. For some reason it was created elsewhere. My solution was to do a search of my whole computer to locate the file and manually move it into the Data Files folder.

Now I am on the AnimKit UI step and am receiving these errors:

Could not open the configuration file. Settings will not be saved this session. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Morrowind AnimKit\AnimKit UI Settings.xml)
Couldn't open the required file. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Animation\AnimModList.xml)
Anim Mod environment is not set up.

Here is where I have AnimKit installed: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Morrowind AnimKit

System Specs in case it matters:

Intel Core 2 6600 2.40 GHz
2 GIGs Memory
Radeon HD 4670
Windows 7 64 Bit

The installation guide is written very well and is easy to follow, I'm just dumb :unsure2:

Thank you for your time helping me.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 3:15 pm

lol.

I personally know Knots (that is one T). His guide has been on three sites; the Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums which was the original, then someone copied it to vrecommendedgameswiki on his permission, though he does not keep that updated. He moved his guide from EDF to that blog. It's the original work, and the formatting looks exactly the same as it always did. A list is a list, I'm having trouble seeing where he could have done better myself.

I am sure he wouldn't care at all if this overhaul 'took' things from his guide, I'm sure he's not so delusional as to think any of the mods in his guide are actually his, and he's helped other people out with their guides before. It's like you say, it's hard to classify one as 'the best' when so much is up to taste. It's important to have up-to-date MGE information, I think, but the textures and replacers out there aren't always for everyone.

He's pretty easy to get in touch with, anyway, if for some reason you want to ask him personally. He knows about this thread, he's mentioned to me he thinks you guys are doing good work.
Prisca Lacour

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I got your message, KINGPIX. Been following you guys for awhile.

I wouldn't mind helping out. Going to have to comb through your list though. I am a BIG fan of the installer interface you guys have come up with, I really like that you give people a choice in what to install.

Would be easier to discuss things in real time, at least for me. Do you guys have an IRC channel or something?

Besides the places Enzo mentioned, not aware of any other copies of my guide floating around. Not that I particularly care to be honest. I update regularly, so the only problem with that is those copies floating around probably won't benefit from my updates unless they link to my blog (which they likely don't, or I'd know about it)
Yvonne

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm

I got your message, KINGPIX. Been following you guys for awhile.

I wouldn't mind helping out. Going to have to comb through your list though. I am a BIG fan of the installer interface you guys have come up with, I really like that you give people a choice in what to install.

Would be easier to discuss things in real time, at least for me. Do you guys have an IRC channel or something?

Besides the places Enzo mentioned, not aware of any other copies of my guide floating around. Not that I particularly care to be honest. I update regularly, so the only problem with that is those copies floating around probably won't benefit from my updates unless they link to my blog (which they likely don't, or I'd know about it)

Is your guide to modding Morrowind compatible with all the other mods that add more NPCs to Morrowind and that change their dialogue so that they each have unique dialogue so that these mods don't conflict with the ones in your guide?

And if it is, can you tell me approximately where in the order of the installation of the mods according to your guide I would install these other mods that add more NPCs and change the dialogue of the NPCs in the game? Where would they go? Should I install these other mods before, after, or in the middle of the mods your guide says to install?
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Is your guide to modding Morrowind compatible with all the other mods that add more NPCs to Morrowind and that change their dialogue so that they each have unique dialogue so that these mods don't conflict with the ones in your guide?

And if it is, can you tell me approximately where in the order of the installation of the mods according to your guide I would install these other mods that add more NPCs and change the dialogue of the NPCs in the game? Where would they go? Should I install these other mods before, after, or in the middle of the mods your guide says to install?
LGNPC is listed in my guide which overhauls quite a bit of the NPC dialogue and gives many NPCs unique answers to questions like 'background'.

If you're talking about MCA or something else like it, then yeah, sure. They should be compatible. Truly, if you wish to install more mods after running through any guide or installing any pack, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to read the readmes of any mods you download so you have a fair understanding of them, and if you suspect load order is a problem, I recommend looking into http://code.google.com/p/mlox/wiki/Mlox. Load order with Morrowind is quite a bit less of an issue than it is with Oblivion or Bethesda's Fallout games, though.

I personally don't use any NPC dialog mods besides LGNCP. If you want my specific advice on a mod, I need to know which one it is as what you described could be several mods.

I think it'd be best if you kept any further questions related to my guide to private messages, comments on the blog, or posts in the EDF thread I link to at the end, since this isn't a thread about my guide! Cheers.
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I think it'd be best if you kept any further questions related to my guide to private messages, comments on the blog, or posts in the EDF thread I link to at the end, since this isn't a thread about my guide! Cheers.

True.

----------

Maybe with Knots on the team, the 2nd pack of gameplay/atmosphere mods could come out a lot faster, so that the entire project is done sooner. :)

I'm just really excited/anxious to get my hands on the finished project in its entirety.
Rachael Williams

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 pm

True.

----------

Maybe with Knots on the team, the 2nd pack of gameplay/atmosphere mods could come out a lot faster, so that the entire project is done sooner. :)

I'm just really excited/anxious to get my hands on the finished project in its entirety.

the HEAVY part of the second package, called Morrowind Overhaul - Game Experience, is the compatibilization between the various mods :D we will get back to work on that package as soon as king pix releases the final version of Sounds&Graphic :thumbsup:
Everardo Montano

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 8:43 pm

the HEAVY part of the second package, called Morrowind Overhaul - Game Experience, is the compatibilization between the various mods :D we will get back to work on that package as soon as king pix releases the final version of Sounds&Graphic :thumbsup:

Understood, and totally on board. Maybe by then MGE XE will be out of beta and ready for incorporation into MO

I must remember to have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw...
Brian LeHury

Post » Sat May 14, 2011 1:17 am

Ok, the release is now ready.
I will update the installguide, and finally I can upload it. :)
Marquis deVille

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Awesome! Can't wait Kingpix. Now like others here... going to try to keep patience for the gameplay pack. UGggggg ;)
Lovingly

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Yay, I can't wait to test it!

Awesome! Can't wait Kingpix. Now like others here... going to try to keep patience for the gameplay pack. UGggggg ;)

I hear you. There's no way I can hold off on trying the graphics overhaul, but will i be able to wait until the game play overhaul to start a full game?
Céline Rémy

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Is that the full version thats coming out now? I cant wait to try it. Im hoping it will solve my issues with shaders not working.
Matt Gammond

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind