Moving player to a certain location

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:09 am

Hi everyone,

Currently, I'm looking for the correct way to move a player to a certain location. It will not be somewhere specific like a city or a dungeon, but a spot in the wilderness. What would be the best method to do this? How can I get the correct coordinates for the places I choose, in case I use a command that teleports to specific coordinates?

Thanks in advance!
lillian luna

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:42 pm

bump
Amber Hubbard

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:58 pm

The best way to do this would be to place an XMarkerHeading wherever you want to teleport to and then use a MoveTo command.
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks a lot! I'll try this right away.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:41 am

Well, not unexpectedly, I'm having problems.

I have created a XmarkerHeading. I made it a property of my script. When I use "player.MoveTo(MyRiverwoodWhiterunMarker)" it does nothing. When I use "TranslateToRef(MyRiverwoodWhiterunMarker, 500)", the player moves towards somewhere completely unrelated up in the air (my reference is somewhere between Riverwood and Whiterun, this place is somewhere over a giant camp west of Whiterum), and then drops to her death.

Any ideas?

Edit: This is happening in an OnHit event, if it's relevant.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 am

Game.GetPlayer().MoveTo (MyRiverwoodWhiterunMarker) fails too
Bonnie Clyde

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:06 am

I have NO idea what would cause that. I use MoveTO commands on the player all the time for use in my Portal mod.
EDIT: You could try Game.FastTravel()
Amanda savory

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:26 am

you might try to place your marker a bit above (as opposed to right on) the ground. maybe you just try to teleport the player underground. PlayerRef.Moveto(YourMarker) should do then.
also, http://www.creationkit.com/MoveTo_-_ObjectReference can be passed paramaters. like z-offset for example. ;-)
Wayne W

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Solmyr, are you certain the property has been set correctly and that the marker exists and is in the right place?

The reason I ask is the point in the air over the Whiterun giant camp is actually the coordinate origin of the Tamriel worldspace (aka 0,0,0). Moving or Translating to an invalid reference will sometimes send you there.
Syaza Ramali

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I have NO idea what would cause that. I use MoveTO commands on the player all the time for use in my Portal mod.
EDIT: You could try Game.FastTravel()
what's the difference between those (especially with the player being teleported when on a horse, gonna need this in one of my wip's)?
Darlene DIllow

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Setting the ReferenceID on the XMarkerHeading helps too for use in scripts which reference it.
JERMAINE VIDAURRI

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 am

Thanks a lot for all the replies! I have tried the suggested, but nothing helped. I even tried to use one of the game's own XMarker's, but it didn't work.

Now I suspect a different problem. My script was not self-made, and it loaded multiple .esm files. It is possible that the script itself belonged to the master file rather than the plugin I'm editing, which might be the reason behind the resistance of the game not to recognize the references.

To check if this is the case, I'll create an independent plugin of my own, and try the same thing. Since I'm a bit new to Skyrim scripting, this will probably take a while. I will keep you updated on the results. Thanks once again!
Nicole Elocin

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 am

in your script that will be moving the player add this:

ObjectRefrence Property MovetoPoint Auto

;move player to designated point

Game.GetPlayer().moveto(MovetoPoint)

save your script, should save fine.

Then go into properties, click on the 'MovetoPoint' and click 'edit value' assign the reference point. (simplest to have the renderview open and at location so you can just select it via that then trying to find it in the list).

save your mod, load it up, do whatever it takes to initiate the move bit, and boom yay!

Please note - Do not put ObjectReference inside a function
TIhIsmc L Griot

Return to V - Skyrim