NCR shoots on sight

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 am

I am accepted by the NCR, but have been attacked in-game for as long as I can remember. I have to go all the way back to level 7 to find a save that isn't hostile. The thing is I have had next to no interaction with them and what interaction I have had has been positive. My reputation only ever went from Neutral to Accepted. I have been able to get quests from the ambassador if and only if I can make it into his office before the surrounding hostile NCR members follow me into his office (at which point he becomes hostile). This is preventing me from full completion of the game as I cannot recruit Cass or do the NCR questline without it.

This happens regardless of what armor I wear. It also happens apparently regardless of your reputation because I would find it very hard to believe that having an accepted reputation means it's OK to be shot on sight.

Is there a fix for this in-game or will I have to wait (probably forever) for a patch?
Kira! :)))

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm

I am accepted by the NCR, but have been attacked in-game for as long as I can remember. I have to go all the way back to level 7 to find a save that isn't hostile. The thing is I have had next to no interaction with them and what interaction I have had has been positive. My reputation only ever went from Neutral to Accepted. I have been able to get quests from the ambassador if and only if I can make it into his office before the surrounding hostile NCR members follow me into his office (at which point he becomes hostile). This is preventing me from full completion of the game as I cannot recruit Cass or do the NCR questline without it.

This happens regardless of what armor I wear. It also happens apparently regardless of your reputation because I would find it very hard to believe that having an accepted reputation means it's OK to be shot on sight.

Is there a fix for this in-game or will I have to wait (probably forever) for a patch?

erm... the only ting i can think of is make sure your not wearing leigon armor and holster your weapon
Jonathan Braz

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:39 am

erm... the only ting i can think of is make sure your not wearing leigon armor and holster your weapon

Not only am I not wearing Legion armor, I don't think I've ever worn it. I also keep my weapons holstered. I'm telling you it seems to happen almost at random - I can finish the NCR quests if I'm lucky enough to make it to the Ambassador (or subsequently the Colonel) before somebody turns hostile. Oddly enough I made the best progress after killing some NCR troops and taking their Power Armor. The Ranger Armor I had from before didn't work (no, I didn't kill the person to get it).

At this point I think the only thing stopping me from 100% is recruiting Cass. She turns hostile almost immediately even though the NCR now likes me.
Miguel

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:20 am

Since faction armor isn't involved it does sound like a glitch, but out of curiosity what's your reputation with the Legion? Perhaps a high reputation with the Legion can make the NCR hostile even if your NCR reputation doesn't reflect that.
Baby K(:

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 am

Since faction armor isn't involved it does sound like a glitch, but out of curiosity what's your reputation with the Legion? Perhaps a high reputation with the Legion can make the NCR hostile even if your NCR reputation doesn't reflect that.

My Legion reputation was Neutral throughout the entire game to that point as I had ignored them. It did not appear to have anything to do with that.

I should note that I was able to complete the NCR quests today by killing the NCR troops that were attacking me inside the Hoover Dam. Once I did that, I was able to put on the Salvaged Power Armor and make it to the Colonel. After that, I have yet to be shot. This makes no sense, since I shouldn't be able to stop the NCR from attacking me by killing them (previously, wearing NCR armor from an NCR soldier I did *not* kill had no effect). In any case I can rather freely remove the armor now (I can't interact with the BoS wearing NCR armor) and the NCR now recognizes me for saving Kimball.

I still believe there is an issue with NCR hostility. Also, for another NCR quest (Return to Sender) I was unable to communicate with *any* NCR personnel *anywhere*. At Forlorn Hope, everybody simply acted like a hunting dog that had spotted somebody - they froze, mouths hanging open, and would not respond to me. They would not even respond to me attacking them, and only by killing one and attacking another was I able to break them out of their frozen state. Some traveling let me clear that hostility. I mean at this point it seems like you solve problems with NCR NPCs by killing them.
MR.BIGG

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 pm

My Legion reputation was Neutral throughout the entire game to that point as I had ignored them. It did not appear to have anything to do with that.

I should note that I was able to complete the NCR quests today by killing the NCR troops that were attacking me inside the Hoover Dam. Once I did that, I was able to put on the Salvaged Power Armor and make it to the Colonel. After that, I have yet to be shot. This makes no sense, since I shouldn't be able to stop the NCR from attacking me by killing them (previously, wearing NCR armor from an NCR soldier I did *not* kill had no effect). In any case I can rather freely remove the armor now (I can't interact with the BoS wearing NCR armor) and the NCR now recognizes me for saving Kimball.

I still believe there is an issue with NCR hostility. Also, for another NCR quest (Return to Sender) I was unable to communicate with *any* NCR personnel *anywhere*. At Forlorn Hope, everybody simply acted like a hunting dog that had spotted somebody - they froze, mouths hanging open, and would not respond to me. They would not even respond to me attacking them, and only by killing one and attacking another was I able to break them out of their frozen state. Some traveling let me clear that hostility. I mean at this point it seems like you solve problems with NCR NPCs by killing them.

the same damn thing is happening to me my friend. i am on good terms with the NCR, yet at certain camps they just open fire on me, ruining numerous quests i had going. i wish i had something other than my rage and anger at Bethesda to offer you, but i do not. i have no real problem with small bugs and glitches, but ones that [censored] up the storyline of the game and/or the main quest, are TOTALLY inexcusable, and those that would call me a 'whiner' can bite me.
TWITTER.COM

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:19 pm

the same damn thing is happening to me my friend. i am on good terms with the NCR, yet at certain camps they just open fire on me, ruining numerous quests i had going. i wish i had something other than my rage and anger at Bethesda to offer you, but i do not. i have no real problem with small bugs and glitches, but ones that [censored] up the storyline of the game and/or the main quest, are TOTALLY inexcusable, and those that would call me a 'whiner' can bite me.

I have a very similar problem. When I wear NCR armor (even with neutral or accepted reputation), I get attacked ONLY by unique NPC's. If I don't have NCR armor on, I get shot on sight.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:34 am

Every time I leave the dam during the president visit quest, they all start shooting at me. Basically the same issues tc and others are having and my rep with them is inconsistent.
Laura Shipley

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:15 am

PLEASE NOTE PEOPLE.

If you are wearing any kind of NCR faction clothing, no matter what your status with them are, IF THEY FIND OUT WHO YOU REALLY ARE, THEY WILL ATTACK YOU.

It doesnt matter if your idolized. THEY WILL STILL TRY AND KILL YOU.
W E I R D

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:10 pm

PLEASE NOTE PEOPLE.

If you are wearing any kind of NCR faction clothing, no matter what your status with them are, IF THEY FIND OUT WHO YOU REALLY ARE, THEY WILL ATTACK YOU.

^This^ is untrue and is supposed to be untrue according to the game mechanics because it states that officers etc. see through the disguise no matter what, which would mean (according to you) at all times every time you are in the presence of an officer whether liked or disliked you will be shot on-sight which does not happen and isn't supposed to happen if you are neutral, accepted, liked, etc. The only time I have ever had a problem with a faction attacking me is if I switch into their faction armor when someone from that faction can see me. It's like the game gets confused because this has only happened intermittently and not 100% of the time.
Flutterby

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 am

I was on NCR's side the entire game except for killing the leader of the Crimson Caravan which didn't push it to hated or anything like that. Hell, I only had to do that because there was another bug earlier on.
Dj Matty P

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:38 pm

I finished many quests with the NCR and I am "liked" by them, or that's what my Pip-Boy tells me. THen out of nowhere (well, sometime after I added Veronica and decided to visit HIdden Valley and start those quests) NCR troopers started shooting me on site. If I am wearing NCR armor, Lt. Haggerty at Helios One shoots me on site while everyone else seems to leave me alone. ALong with this, I am "vilified" (according to Pip-Boy) by the Powder Gangers but their font is green and do not shoot me on site (they used to before NCR started shooting at me). I can't even begin to understand what happened. Maybe the game somehow switched up the indexes of the Powder Gangers and NCR, but I dont know how this game was programmed.
Shae Munro

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:27 pm

NCR has made alot of enemies in New Vegas about 90% of armor makes you hostile to the NCR off the top of my head i can think of:

Legion obviously
Powder Gangers
Brotherhood of Steel
Great Khan
umm i forget what they are called but they look like african warriors the bone skirts and what not(i hope you know what im talking about cause i cant explain it better)
the escapees (they are powder gangers without being powder gangers)

so yea pretty much safe armor includes
wastelander clothing
and reinforced armor mk1 mk2 etc etc

also if your companions are an favored enemy of the NCR they will always be hostile
example i like the sniper that you get in Novac, he is a former NCR 1st ranger, so if he is my companion i am always hostile to anyone from that list i gave above, so unless im looking for a fight i have to send him away for a little while, perform my task, then go pick him back up. (but often i just shoot my way through)
Dawn Farrell

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm

I've been having the same problem. It's gotten so bad that after I managed to get through Restoring Hope they raised me to "Accepted" and showed their affection by putting me on the ranger hit list. Now everywhere I go Rangers attack me and as I kill them my rep goes down. This really seems to support the affection being "inverted." Maybe if I kill enough rangers they'll hate me and leave me alone.

Haggerty has always attacked me, I just had to work around it.

In NCR bases I'm genuinely in good shape as long as I'm in uniform. The only ones who attack me are dogs and "military police," who I think are supposed to see through your disguise. Still, seems like my save is broken. Also lucky me, i don't have internet access for my PS3 so this fabled patch won't do me much good.
Jose ordaz

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:42 am

PLEASE NOTE PEOPLE.

that makes no sense what so ever. but regardless of that, i wear the mk.2 combat armor and helmet, am idolized by the NCR, and have been given the NCR support radio. but when i use it, i am attacked by the solider regardless of what i am wearing. so this has little or nothing to do with the armor being worn, but has to do with the utter stupidity of Bethesda and Obsidian.
Makenna Nomad

Return to Fallout: New Vegas