[WIPREL] Nexus Mod Manager in open beta

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 am

Straight from Skyrim Nexus...

It is with great excitement that I am happy to announce that the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) has entered open beta and is now http://www.skyrimnexus.com/content/modmanager/.

NMM is the product of 11 months of work creating a simple yet feature rich tool that everyone can use to download, install and manage their modifications for the games the Nexus sites support. It is the successor to OBMM and FOMM so if you're a user of either then you'll want to move over to NMM to gain continued support and features. We currently have support for Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and the Nexus sites have been updated with new "Download with manager" buttons on file pages on these sites.

When you have NMM installed you will be able to click these buttons to instantly start file downloads (no ads, by the way!). Another click when the download is finished will install the mod. You can start as many file downloads as you want and NMM comes with full download pausing and resuming, so even if you exit the program the next time you start NMM it will resume your unfinished downloads from where they left off.

NMM is the successor to OBMM and FOMM, created by the programmer who took over from Timeslip, Kaburke.

Using the Nexus Mod Manager is completely optional, you don't have to install it to get mods from us, and your modding experience can remain exactly the same if you so wish.

I want to remind you that this is an open beta test which means that NMM is not a finished product. In all likelihood it will never be a finished product as we'll be constantly working on it to add new features and additional game support but right now, NMM is at it's "core" stage. That means we've added in all the important functionality that you need to download, install and manage your mods and we're at around the same level as OBMM and FOMM were, but we're in a much stronger position to really push on and make an even more awesome mod manager for you. We'll be adding in lots more over the coming weeks and months. This open beta is designed to allow you, the users of the program, to provide us with important feedback when it comes to any bugs or crashes you come across when using NMM. If the program doesn't work for you and you don't tell us, we can't fix it. So it's really important you provide us with the information we need if you come across any bugs or errors!

There's lots more information available on NMM, including information on the project, how and where to post bug reports and how you can help us with the development on NMM in our http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/forum/439-open-beta-feedback/. It all uses the same user account as your Nexus user account so don't worry about that!

NMM is completely open source software. That means we're releasing all the code to the program so that you, or anyone, can look at what we have done. It's released under a copy-left GPL license that means you can help us to develop NMM, or you can create programs that work or integrate with it if you wish.

We are a modding community and we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for people sharing their work with others, be it the game developers sharing their toolsets with us, programmers sharing their utilities or mod authors sharing their work. Without people sharing their knowledge with others we would have nothing, and that's why releasing our code as open source is important to us. It means that:

• You can trust that what you're installing has no hidden files, no spyware, no adware and nothing nefarious
  • You can modify and use the source code in whatever way you wish, so long as it adheres to the GPL license
  • You can help us with the development of NMM through https://sourceforge.net/p/nexusmodmanager/home/Home/, or create your own tools and utilities that work in conjunction with NMM
  • Rather than only having a small team of closed developers working on the program, anyone and everyone can help contribute with their own skills and ideas
  • NMM is a community-driven project based on sharing knowledge with others, rather than coveting it and using it to turn a profit

If you come across other sites and programs that do something similar to NMM, ask the authors why they haven't made it open source yet.

Please don't post bug reports here! Bugs need to go in our http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/tracker/project-3-mod-manager-open-beta/ and we'll get them fixed as soon as is possible.
jess hughes

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 am

Oooh, nice. I'm gonna try it right now.
Stu Clarke

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 am

Well... this'll be interesting. I hope my input improved things. Please, please, please everyone: scroll down, and read the "Open Beta" and "Limitations" sections. They are not that long, and they are important.
Brad Johnson

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 2:12 am

We currently have support for Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and the Nexus sites have been updated with new "Download with manager" buttons on file pages on these sites.

I might just be a little foolish here... but I can't get this to work. This means that mods on the Skyrim Nexus can be downloaded using NMM? So, where exactly is this button? I did find a toggle for showing the button in my preferences but it won't show up for me.

Nevermind they just showed up... That was me being too greedy. Now let's try it out.
Georgine Lee

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 4:48 am

I might just be a little foolish here... but I can't get this to work. This means that mods on the Skyrim Nexus can be downloaded using NMM? So, where exactly is this button? I did find a toggle for showing the button in my preferences but it won't show up for me.

*facepalm* sorry, my brain is a little frazzled today in between DoS attacks and router changes and blah blah blah.

Fixed! And sorry!
Khamaji Taylor

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 9:22 am

A unified manager for Oblivion and Skyrim (and FO3/NV if I ever get back around to playing them)? This could be very cool!
Prue

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 3:20 am

It does give me the option to download files but unfortunately only throws errors when I attempt to download them using the manager.

I probably do have the log files that it generates but it might be faster for you to confirm on your end, Dark0ne?

The mod I'm attempting to download: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=191
Elle H

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Awwwwww yeah. Time to test it out.
Alisia Lisha

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Decided to check my log out anyway while you check it out on your end, Dark0ne.

Here's the juicy bit of the log:
Exception: Message: 	Requested Service not foundFull Trace: 	System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Requested Service not foundServer stack trace:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)Exception rethrown at [0]:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)   at Nexus.Client.Messager.AddMod(String p_strFilePath)   at Nexus.Client.Bootstrapper.RunMainForm(String[] p_strArgs)   at Nexus.Client.Program.Main(String[] p_strArgs)
kiss my weasel

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 am

I probably do have the log files that it generates but it might be faster for you to confirm on your end, DarkOne?

The mod I'm attempting to download: http://www.skyrimnex...file.php?id=191

The bottom download works, the top one doesn't. If you've got the time, please can you post it up in http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/tracker/project-3-mod-manager-open-beta/? If not I can do it a bit later for Kaburke to take a look at.

I assume it's because the file isn't actually a mod but a config change, but I'm no expert :)
Sara Lee

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 7:47 am

Alas, I continue to run into this error every time I load it up.

Crashdumping an Exception:Exception: Message: 	Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.Full Trace: 	System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.   at Nexus.Client.Util.UacUtil.get_IsUACOperatingSystem()   at Nexus.Client.Util.UacUtil.get_IsElevated()   at Nexus.Client.Settings.UI.GeneralSettingsPage..ctor(GeneralSettingsGroup p_gsgSettings)   at Nexus.Client.MainFormVM..ctor(IEnvironmentInfo p_eifEnvironmentInfo, IGameMode p_gmdGameMode, ActivityMonitor p_amtMonitor, UpdateManager p_umgUpdateManager, ModManager p_mmgModManager, IPluginManager p_pmgPluginManager)   at Nexus.Client.Bootstrapper.RunMainForm(String[] p_strArgs)   at Nexus.Client.Program.Main(String[] p_strArgs)Running Threads (0)
Bethany Short

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 2:48 am

I get an error when I try to launch NMM for Skyrim. It works with New Vegas. Tracelog as follows:

Spoiler
Trace file has been created: TraceLog20111115163234.txt
Mod Manager Version: 0.12.0.0
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1Tracing is forced: False
Discovering Game Mode Factories...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes
Checking: Fallout3.CSharpScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Fallout3.CSharpScript.dll: cannot find dependency CSharpScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: Fallout3.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Fallout3.Fallout3GameModeFactory
Checking: Fallout3.XmlScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Fallout3.XmlScript.dll: cannot find dependency XmlScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: FalloutNV.CSharpScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\FalloutNV.CSharpScript.dll: cannot find dependency CSharpScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: FalloutNV.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.FalloutNV.FalloutNVGameModeFactory
Checking: FalloutNV.XmlScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\FalloutNV.XmlScript.dll: cannot find dependency XmlScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: GamebryoBase.dll
Checking: Oblivion.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Oblivion.OblivionGameModeFactory
Checking: Oblivion.ModScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Oblivion.ModScript.dll: cannot find dependency ModScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: Skyrim.CSharpScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Skyrim.CSharpScript.dll: cannot find dependency CSharpScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Checking: Skyrim.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.SkyrimGameModeFactory
Checking: Skyrim.XmlScript.dll
Cannot load C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes\Skyrim.XmlScript.dll: cannot find dependency XmlScript, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Determining Game Mode: (From Selection Form) Skyrim
Game Mode Factory Selected: Skyrim (Skyrim)
Creating Game Mode mutex.
Looking for Skyrim.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\
Game Mode Built: Skyrim (Skyrim)
Installation Path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\
Install Info Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\Install Info
Mod Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods
Mod Cache Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\cache
Mod Download Cache: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods\downloads
Overwrite Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\Install Info\overwrites
Scanning for read-only files...
Initializing Mod Repository...
Registering supported Script Types...
Discovering Script Types...
Discovering Generic Script Types...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\ScriptTypes
Checking: Antlr3-2.Runtime.DotNet20.dll
Checking: Antlr3.Runtime.dll
Checking: AntlrUtil.dll
Checking: CSharpScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.ModManagement.Scripting.CSharpScript.CSharpScriptType
Checking: ModScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.ModManagement.Scripting.ModScript.ModScriptType
Checking: XmlScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.ModManagement.Scripting.XmlScript.XmlScriptType
Discovering Game Mode Specific Script Types...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\GameModes
Checking: Skyrim.CSharpScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Scripting.CSharpScript.SkyrimCSharpScriptType
Checking: Skyrim.XmlScript.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Scripting.XmlScript.SkyrimXmlScriptType
Found 3 script types.
Registering supported mod formats...
Discovering Mod Formats...
Looking in: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\ModFormats
Checking: FOMod.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Mods.Formats.FOMod.FOModFormat
Checking: OMod.dll
Initializing: Nexus.Client.Mods.Formats.OMod.OModFormat
Found 2 formats.
Finding managed mods...
Discovering Managed Mods...
Looking in: c:\Games\Skyrim\mods
Found 0 managed mods.
Initializing Install Log...
Checking if upgrade is required...
Path: c:\Games\Skyrim\Install Info\InstallLog.xml
Loaded from XML.
Found Dummy Mod: ORIGINAL_VALUE...OK
Initializing Plugin Registry...
Discovering Managed Plugins...
Discovering Plugins...
Looking in: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim.esm
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Update.esm
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim.esm
Registered.
Found: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Update.esm
Registered.
Found 2 managed plugins.
Initializing Active Plugin Log...
Initializing Plugin Order Log...
Initializing Plugin Manager...
Initializing Activity Monitor...
Initializing Mod Manager...
Initializing Update Manager...
Upgrading replaced Mods...
Uninstalling missing Mods...
Loading mods that are queued to be added.

Crashdumping an Exception:
Exception:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Full Trace:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Tools.AI.ArchiveInvalidation.IsActive()
at Nexus.Client.Games.Gamebryo.Tools.AI.ArchiveInvalidationBase..ctor(GamebryoGameModeBase p_gmdGameMode)
at Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Tools.AI.ArchiveInvalidation..ctor(SkyrimGameMode p_gmdGameMode)
at Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.Tools.SkyrimToolLauncher.SetupTools()
at Nexus.Client.Games.Skyrim.SkyrimGameMode.get_GameToolLauncher()
at Nexus.Client.MainForm.BindToolCommands()
at Nexus.Client.MainForm..ctor(MainFormVM p_vmlViewModel)
at Nexus.Client.Bootstrapper.RunMainForm(String[] p_strArgs)
at Nexus.Client.Program.Main(String[] p_strArgs)

Running Threads (0)
Vicky Keeler

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Pleeeeease post up any bugs in the bug tracker as we cannot provide support in this thread. If you get it in the bug tracker then we can fix it much much much quicker :)
Astargoth Rockin' Design

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 1:31 am

The bottom download works, the top one doesn't.
Both error out on my end, unfortunately. That seems a sound theory though. Will be posting it up on the tracker ASAP; just wanted to make sure I was available since I'm experiencing errors that you're not seeing on your end apparently.
Poetic Vice

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 pm

So, I downloaded a couple of mods now, and well.. it's awesome in its current form already. This is a MUST need. Thanks so much for creating things like this that make Elder Scrolls modding so great. I salute you.
Sarah Knight

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 5:50 am

Pleeeeease post up any bugs in the bug tracker as we cannot provide support in this thread. If you get it in the bug tracker then we can fix it much much much quicker :)

Done :)
James Smart

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 am

A quick question:

Some of the visual mods comes with just the folder called "textures" containing the visual mod.

However some mods use upper case "T" and some use lower case "t" for the textures folder. Does the manager take this into account or does it not matter that there is both a "Textures" and a "textures" folder in the data folder?
Jonathan Braz

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 10:24 pm

I downloaded the new version, It installed right over the closed beta version and seems to support Skyrim just fine. If I find any issues I will report them on the tracker.
Nicole Kraus

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 6:50 am

A quick question:

Some of the visual mods comes with just the folder called "textures" containing the visual mod.

However some mods use upper case "T" and some use lower case "t" for the textures folder. Does the manager take this into account or does it not matter that there is both a "Textures" and a "textures" folder in the data folder?

There will not be both a "textures" and "Textures" folder in Data. File and folder names are not case sensitive.
Craig Martin

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 6:32 pm

nvm I misunderstood :)
Joe Bonney

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 8:33 pm

What i meant is that in some mods the creator has named it Textures and in others it is named textures. As I assume the Mod manager "merely" extracts the zip files, based on what mods you install, you might end with both a Textures and a textures folder. It might not matter, just wanted to make sure :)

I know what you meant. Folder names are not case sensitive. "Textures" and "textures" are the same folder.
Syaza Ramali

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 pm

I know what you meant. Folder names are not case sensitive. "Textures" and "textures" are the same folder.

Yep sorry, hadnt grasped the folder system worked that way. Cheers :)
Lew.p

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 9:29 am

Does this application have a backup function for mods? Since I like to backup the mods I download in case they ever become unavailable, it would be a neat and useful option. Also, what about mods overwriting certain parts of other mods, like texture replacers? Is there any way to control exactly what is overwritten?

Thanks,

~DE
Chris Jones

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 am

Does this application have a backup function for mods? Since I like to backup the mods I download in case they ever become unavailable, it would be a neat and useful option. Also, what about mods overwriting certain parts of other mods, like texture replacers? Is there any way to control exactly what is overwritten?

A backup function is incoming.

When it comes to the technical stuff I'm not the best ambassador for NMM, but when I install a mod and there's a file conflict, NMM tells me and asks me what I want to do about it.
Crystal Birch

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 8:19 am

Seeing as TESNexus is rather difficult to access at the moment, could you put the download up at the NMM Sourceforge page as well. Also it's only logical to have downloads at Sourceforge if you are hosting the project there.
Elisha KIng

Next

Return to V - Skyrim