[Beta] Playable Orc race for Daggerfall

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 am

The Orcs are ready for others to try out.

You can replace Nords, High Elves, or Wood Elves with the green folk. Khajiit and Argonian don't work, as their armor is different to acommodate their tails. I decided that the Bretons, Redguards, and Dark Elves weren't appropriate to replace, as they are the primary races for Daggerfall, Sentinel and Wayrest respectively.

The mod doesn't attempt to replace the verbage of the character creation, or change the map, so you'll still create your character as one of the replaced race, but you'll see a choice of Orc faces, and the character's race will be correctly reflected in the in-game dialogs.

I found two different sizes of FALL.EXE depending on what patches etc. I had installed, so the install scripts will work with either of those. If there are other versions of it, the install should fail safely without affecting the game.

If you try it out, please report back here, so everyone else knows of any problems you hit.

Get it http://ghastley.org/daggerfall/docs/orcs.html - link is at the bottom of the page.
Allison C

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Looks good! :D
AnDres MeZa

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 5:41 pm

This is a great idea for a mod. However I can't seem to get it to work. When I run nord.bat to c:\dagger it ends telling me "Orcs mod has not been activated", and it creates a new directory with no files in it. Checking the DOSBox status window, I can see "Warning: file creation failed: c:\dosgames\DAGGER\ORIGINAL\HONKERS"
Vicki Blondie

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Is there more information in the Orcs.log file? The "not activated" message happens on any failure of any kind. The file referenced by the message is a test of whether the folder is writable, so it could be a permissions problem.
Maria Garcia

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

I really thought I wouldn't see another Daggerfall mod after Tipton's Werefall. Glad to see I was wrong.

I'll be sure to try this out - also, good luck with that Guild of prosttutes mod, it sounds very promising (wouldn't mind seeing an Order of the Lamp mod after you're done with that, hint hint :P)
Joie Perez

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Werefall was very useful in putting this together. Tipton had built a number of the tools you need to do the installation (including the .bat install scripts, which I shamelessly cloned). I haven't actually played it, but I've read the source!

GoP is suffering writer's block. There are a couple of quests cloned from the generic ones of the standard game (the kind every faction gives you) but I'm having difficulty coming up with something that's new and still possible.
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 1:41 am

I have a few outlines for quests written up, and some ideas that I'm never going to get around to actually making into quests. It's mostly for thieves, Dark Brotherhood and vampire clans but I think I had something for prosttutes.

I think I have some good ideas here (of course, I'm biased). PM me if you'd like to see them.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Here is what's in my orcs.log:

Spoiler
-- Begin Orcs installation replacing Nords:
-- Running 'verstr.chk' on 'c:\dagger\arena2\verstr.dat'
-- Original size is 97.
-- No destination copy requested.
-- Original size is 97.
- Verify Daggerfall 213 patch has been installed.
?0x16 "213"

-- Reply is 0
-- Check for safe-store directories.
-- Create directories for Daggerfall safe-store.
-- Safe-store original Daggerfall files in original.
FALL.EXE
1 File(s) copied.
BODY00I0.IMG
1 File(s) copied.
BODY10I0.IMG
1 File(s) copied.
FACE00I0.CIF
1 File(s) copied.
FACE10I0.CIF
1 File(s) copied.
-- Build new versions in new.
-- Running 'Nord.pat' on 'c:\dagger\fall.exe'
-- Original size is 1864183.
Verify failed:
String "Nord" not found in FALL.EXE
-- Running 'Nord2.pat' on 'c:\dagger\fall.exe'
Verify failed:
Orcs mod has not been activated.
-- End Orcs installation:
-- Begin Orcs installation replacing Nords:
-- Original size is 97.
-- No destination copy requested.
-- Original size is 97.
- Verify Daggerfall 213 patch has been installed.
?0x16 "213"

-- Reply is 0
-- Check for safe-store directories.
-- Restore Daggerfall files from original.
FALL.EXE
1 File(s) copied.
BODY00I0.IMG
BODY10I0.IMG
FACE00I0.CIF
FACE10I0.CIF
4 File(s) copied.
-- Safe-store original Daggerfall files in original.
FALL.EXE
1 File(s) copied.
BODY00I0.IMG
1 File(s) copied.
BODY10I0.IMG
1 File(s) copied.
FACE00I0.CIF
1 File(s) copied.
FACE10I0.CIF
1 File(s) copied.
-- Build new versions in new.
-- Running 'Nord.pat' on 'c:\dagger\fall.exe'
Verify failed:
-- Running 'Nord2.pat' on 'c:\dagger\fall.exe'
Verify failed:
Orcs mod has not been activated.
-- End Orcs installation:
Katie Pollard

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 pm

There are more versions of FALL.exe than I knew. I ran the installer multiple times with different combinations of patches/new quests and only found two sizes of that file, so I produced patches for both. You have a third. The length in the log doesn't match either one of mine.

What other mods, or quest packs do you have? I know Werefall doesn't change the size of FALL.exe, and most quest mods aren't going to need to touch it, but I haven't played with all of them.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 5:19 pm

The version I have came directly from Bethesda's site, and with the patch that came with it.
Dawn Porter

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Correction: that length does match, I was looking at the size of the disk file (rounded up to nearest sector). That must mean that one of the two .pat files is wrong.

Edit: I downloaded a copy of that file and applied patch 213 as contained in it. The orc installed worked for me. (Nord2.pat applied). I'm stumped. What offset is "Nord" in your copy of FALL.exe?
Monika

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion