Real life equivalents to ebony and such?

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:27 pm

So Iron, Steel, Corundom, moonstone, and Malachite are all real things.

What about Ebony, quicksilver and Dwarven Metal? Im probably thinking too much into this but if the game lets you make Corundom composite armor maybe they thought out the other materials.

I was thinking that Ebony may be Tungsten, hence its darkness and heavyness. It may also be Obsidian, as it will not alloy with iron according to some in game book.

Moonstone, think, may be a form of Baddeleyite or some other type of Zirconia, rather than actual moonstones.

Quicksilver may be platinum.

Dwarven and Orchicalcum Ingots may be some sort of alloy, but i wouldnt know what.

Actually, if moonstone ore was Baddeleyite, and the Ingot was a brick of Zirconia, then Glass weapons make some sense. They would be a compsite of Malachite and Zironcia cermics, which would let them be light and very very sharp (if prone to breaking under heavy blows).
Brandon Wilson

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 am

i know ebony is valcanic glass (obsidian) and quicksilver is a real element irl (it is another name for mercury iirc)
cosmo valerga

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 am

i know ebony is valcanic glass (obsidian) and quicksilver is a real element irl (it is another name for mercury iirc)

The quicksilver in the game cant be mercury, since its solid at room temperature and in your inventory. Obsidian being Ebony makes sense in that, like Zirconia, it can be used ot make blades IRL. If it was some form of Skyrim-unique metallicly laced obsidian that makes more sense. But Quicksilver in-game just cant be mercury.
Chloe :)

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:36 am

There is no real life equivalent in game.

Glass and Ebony are not real world volcanic glass.

Glass and Ebony are the blood that seeped out of the heart of Lorkhan as it flew across Tamriel and landed at Red Mountain..
phil walsh

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:30 pm

In real life ebony is a wood, but in TES it's volcanic glass mostly found in Morrowind.
Lyd

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:35 am

as for dwemer metal, its an imaginary metal. But since nobody knew how to craft them besides dwemers, maybe its something like mithril???(Also imaginary).
I am surprised there isnt any Mithrils in this game. Didnt LOTR inspire many rpgs to add mithrils?
Laura

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 am

Actually, Mithril is a real metal. If I am correct, Mithril is made in the same way as Steel but they add a little extra to make it stronger and lighter than normal Steel. Thus, calling it Mithril.

Ebony is a wood in real life. Very fancy and strong too.

The metals required to make Glass are real as well. Same thing with Elven Armor...

Actually all metals in TES lore is real except for Daedric... As far as I know.
NEGRO

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Isn't Quicksilver the same as Mithril? (In TES)
JESSE

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:48 am

Actually, Mithril is a real metal. If I am correct, Mithril is made in the same way as Steel but they add a little extra to make it stronger and lighter than normal Steel. Thus, calling it Mithril.

Ebony is a wood in real life. Very fancy and strong too.

The metals required to make Glass are real as well. Same thing with Elven Armor...

Actualy Daedric armour is made out of Ebony, it gets the glow from the blood of the Daedric heart you use. The old school Daedric armour from Morrowind and Oblivion are made from something else though.
Syaza Ramali

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:55 am

I remember reading a book somewhere in Oblivion that Daedric armor was made from Ebony and forged with the soul of a daedra.

Actualy Daedric armour is made out of Ebony, it gets the glow from the blood of the Daedric heart you use. The old school Daedric armour from Morrowind and Oblivion are made from something else though.
mike

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 am

I remember reading a book somewhere in Oblivion that Daedric armor was made from Ebony and forged with the soul of a daedra.

Hmm interesting, I always assumed that Daedric armour was made from some kind of demonic metal found in the planes of oblivion.
Tiff Clark

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:33 am

There is no real life equivalent in game.

Glass and Ebony are not real world volcanic glass.

Glass and Ebony are the blood that seeped out of the heart of Lorkhan as it flew across Tamriel and landed at Red Mountain..

The second part of your commentis weakened by the sheer absurdity of the first part. Really? So the real world doesnt have Iron? Or curved swords (CURVED. SWORDS.)? Or a sky? Or trees? The game has these, and you said "their is no real life equivalent in game" without specifying a limit. Im guessing you ment Glass and Ebony, but in Skyrim Glass items do use at least one real-world item, Malachite. And the way they look and how the skill books describe them suggests they are indeed a composite ceramic. In Tamriel, all Malachite may be the blood of a dead god, but Malachite is still Malachite, regardless of its origin.

Edit: Never in my life have i types Malachite as much as that.
Darlene Delk

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 am

Lore wise daedric has always been ebony infused with the essence of a daedra.
I think Skyrim portrays this quite well.
It leaves out the ritual involved, of course, because it wouldnt really fit the game.

Glass and ebony have no real world equivalents.
There are some highly advanced ceramics that could duplicate the properties, but any naturally occuring mineral such as obsidian would be far too brittle.
Chloé

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:34 pm

In terms of rarity Platinum comes close to Ebony's real world equivalent :D
carly mcdonough

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 am

Corundum in the real world is a mineral that rubies and sapphires are composed of and is a form of aluminum oxide. Moonstone is another type of gemstone. Quicksilver is another name for mercury which is liquid at room temperature. Malachite is an ore of copper. As you can see none of these correspond with their representations in-game.

As for Ebony, Dwemer metal and daedric in-game. Ebony is the solidified blood of the god Lorkhan, Dwemer metal is condensed from souls and daedric is ebony that has been infused with the soul of a lesser daedroth (note: daedroth is the singular form of daedra).
Harry Hearing

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:10 am

Isn't Quicksilver the same as Mithril? (In TES)

I know in the real world, Quicksilver is a weaker metal and mainly used for jewelry or other small things.

@ Above people: Ebony is a real wood. A very strong and nice looking wood too. Rare to find because very expensive as well.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:11 am

Corundum in the real world is a mineral that rubies and sapphires are composed of and is a form of aluminum oxide. Moonstone is another type of gemstone. Quicksilver is another name for mercury which is liquid at room temperature. Malachite is an ore of copper. As you can see none of these correspond with their representations in-game. As for Ebony, Dwemer metal and daedric in-game. Ebony is the solidified blood of the god Lorkhan, Dwemer metal is condensed from souls and daedric is ebony that has been infused with the soul of a lesser daedroth (note: daedroth is the singular form of daedra).

Malachite and Corundum corrospond to their in game forms (just like iron and steel), hence me noting that in the OP. Corundum looks like corundom and malachite looks like malachite. Since you use them in bonded ceramic applications, this makes sense. Corundum at least, in the real world, is artificually produced for some hardened cermaic applications. Moonstone looks, in game, like its real life form but im not sure how it could be used.

Quicksilver, as you point out, doesnt corrospond to its in game form.

Since Ebony is a glass im going to put it down in my book as just "magic obsidian" Note that i dont bother refering to Daedric ebony. It is just another form (a more powerful form, granted) of the material.

Your explenation for how the Dwemer get their metal makes since, but could you give a link to the book that details this or name the game where it is revealed?

Also, this still doesnt explain orc metal.

as for dwemer metal, its an imaginary metal. But since nobody knew how to craft them besides dwemers, maybe its something like mithril???(Also imaginary). I am surprised there isnt any Mithrils in this game. Didnt LOTR inspire many rpgs to add mithrils?
It did indeed, but Quicksilver is the closest we get here. Dwarves in this setting, the Dwemer, use their own fantasy metal. Orchicalcum functions much like Mithril, a heavy rare metal thats better than steel.
Darian Ennels

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 pm

The second part of your commentis weakened by the sheer absurdity of the first part. Really? So the real world doesnt have Iron? Or curved swords (CURVED. SWORDS.)? Or a sky? Or trees? The game has these, and you said "their is no real life equivalent in game" without specifying a limit. Im guessing you ment Glass and Ebony, but in Skyrim Glass items do use at least one real-world item, Malachite. And the way they look and how the skill books describe them suggests they are indeed a composite ceramic. In Tamriel, all Malachite may be the blood of a dead god, but Malachite is still Malachite, regardless of its origin.

Edit: Never in my life have i types Malachite as much as that.
Reading comprehension is great isn't it? Someone responds to your own opening question and you assume it's in response to some question that's never been asked.

Skyrim malachite is nowhere near close to real world malachite.
Sian Ennis

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:37 am

Reading comprehension is great isn't it? Someone responds to your own opening question and you assume it's in response to some question that's never been asked.

Skyrim malachite is nowhere near close to real world malachite.

Please, explain how the Malachite is different. Simpler, obviously. Everything is simpler in a game. But i didnt find it fundamentally different.
Angus Poole

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 am

Please, explain how the Malachite is different. Simpler, obviously. Everything is simpler in a game. But i didnt find it fundamentally different.

Because it isn't made of blood and it breaks much too easily
kristy dunn

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:37 am

Because it isn't made of blood and it breaks much too easily

Nothing breaks in Skyrim! You could use the same rusted sword the entire game and it wouldnt break.

I also tend to find myself sceptical of this whole "dead god did it" reasoning since the in-game myths cant all be exactly true, as different races arnt in total agreement with each other.
Angel Torres

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 am

Nothing breaks in Skyrim! You could use the same rusted sword the entire game and it wouldnt break.

I also tend to find myself sceptical of this whole "dead god did it" reasoning since the in-game myths cant all be exactly true, as different races arnt in total agreement with each other.

You do realize they had access to the heart of the dead god that was producing the materials right?
Budgie

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 pm

You do realize they had access to the heart of the dead god that was producing the materials right?

The Tribunal did. The Sixth house did. (Everybody sorta did in daggerfall i guess) Niether used a lot of glass. And YOU dont in Skyrim, despite bieng able to get your hands on malachite ore and ebony ore.

Im actually willing to accept that "dead god makes minerals" bit since he did make the world. He really should have made everything (except magic) I do think however that Elven and Glass items, in Skyrim at least, are essentially ceramics, and that other than its toughness (since it indeed cant break) the in-game malachite is basicly...well...malachite.
It does mesh well. If Malachite and Ebony are his blood it might explain them being tougher than real world malachite and obsidian while still having their own properties (Ebony doesnt allow since it isnt metal, malachite will shatter if worked poorly)
Emma

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:58 pm

The Tribunal did. The Sixth house did. (Everybody sorta did in daggerfall i guess) Niether used a lot of glass. And YOU dont in Skyrim, despite bieng able to get your hands on malachite ore and ebony ore.

This heart is the heart of the world, for one was made to satisfy the other

The aedra made the world, Lorkhan's heart was also tossed in. It may be the source of the glass/ebony, but it doesn't all remain in red mountain or the surrounding area. Lorkhan's heart still pumps blood through dead gods bodies.
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

I (HOPE) this post was sarcasm. I really do.
lucy chadwick

Next

Return to V - Skyrim