Should I get Mehrunes' Razor?

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 am

I have put hundreds of hours into Oblivion and the Shivering isles and I was just wondering whether Mehrunes' Razor is worth purchasing. Or for that matter, the other official plugins. I'm very tempted to buy them if they're anything like the Shivering isles or Knights of the nine, but i'm just a little worried about beating them in one day. Could someone please tell me how long some of the official plugins will keep me occupied?
Ashley Campos

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 am

Yay verily they be good like the froth of beer in a festival of merry mugament :foodndrink:

Mehrunes Razor DLC got plenty of great reviews and is pretty well designed. Nice dark dungeon romp. The Vile Lair DLC is a creepy sinister and quite evil home for the player with a great butler type companion who gladly goes out to kill in your behalf. The architecture is amazing. The Frostcrag DLC is gorgeous with a very warm feel to it and is perfect as a home for magic users capturing the caring mystical personality of the previous owner. It has tons of neat gadgets and is wonderfully isolated from the distractions of the normal world in the distant freezing cold Jerrel mountains.

The Battlehorn Castle DLC is another well made player home which has many a secret to bare if one but digs deep enough. Excellent for those who love a huge sprawling palace to express the magnificence that they are.

The Spell Tomes DLC adds alot of new spells to the game world which adds more spice to book hunters in search of arcane magic.

The Orrery DLC is a grand work of artistry which will have you awe struck in its lifelike construct qualities. Truly a clockwork masterpiece of gaming.

The Thieves Den DLC will take you to a place eerie and haunted. An echo of horror reverberating through time waiting in the darkness of eternity to slaughter with hatred unending all who dare enter its twilight world domain.

Surely i did not regret my DLC collection purchase.
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Some, like spell tomes and horse armor are not exactly quests.

The rest can probably each be completed within a day. Mehrunes Razor is a huge and good dungeon crawl, but still only a day or two to complete. None of them offer a 'questline' except SI and KOTN.
Ashley Tamen

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Mehrunes Razor is a good addon, it won't give you more than a days worth of running around to get to the prize, but it gives a nice expansive dungeon with a good story and moderate rewards.

If you really want a bang for your buck, I would suggest downloading the wizard's tower addon and then getting the mod frostcrag reborn. You will get an amazing player home unlike anything you have ever seen, powerful items, a huge(and I mean huge) dungeon/world to explore, challenging enemies, new spells, and days worth of finding everything there is to see. I wish all the official addons had such modfications to them. This is a mage-ish home, idk if that fits your play type or not, however I'm sure any power hungry individual would find this a suitable place as well.

I think any of the other official dlc are kind of hit or miss. They aren't bad, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them. Many similar/better mods can be used for free.
Baby K(:

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Mehrunes Razor is worth it, if you do it at level 20+ and you are an archer type character then you can collect loads of wonderful arrows.
Ray

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:14 pm

I absolutely love the DLC, especially Mehrunes' Razor, that one is my favorite. You get a really nice quest in a gigantic, and I mean gigantic dungeon. Its absolutely wonderful. I also like spell tomes a lot because it gives you something to look forward to in random loot. I never did the Orrery or Horse Armor, but I hear they weren't all that great. Then there are the "houses": Vile Lair, Thieves Den, Battlehorn Castle, and Frostcrag Spire. They are all great, and geared towards a certain archetype (assassin/creepy dude, thief, warrior, mage).
sunny lovett

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:08 pm

I'd ran the DLC (pluggins) as follows, starting with the best (KotN):

1. KotN

2. Mehrunes Razor

3. Fighters Stronghold
3. Wizards Tower
3. Vile Lair

4. Thieves' Den

5. Spell Tomes

6. Orrery
6. Horse Armor

For (3) they are all housing mods and depends on your character. 4 Thieves Den is also a housing mod, but I found it less useful and/or interesting than the others. Orrery and Horse Armor are not worth getting at all, in my opinion.

Not shown is Shivering Isles, because that is a full "Expansion" not a pluggin. It is definitely worth getting, and is an amazing expansion of the game.

All the above is "in my opinion" of course.
Ysabelle

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:40 am

Mehrunes Razor was a very fun dungeon crawl. The reward at the end was meh. I only used it a few times, then put it away in a chest because I can make a better weapon at the enchanting altar, or from the other Daedric quests.

Shivering Isles is definitely worth getting. It is the biggest, and most involved addon. It gives you a big new land to explore, lots of side-quests, new monsters, new weapons and armor, new things to summon, etc... It is definitely top on the list of extras. Do not hesitate to get it!

KOTN gives you a new questline to play out, a new faction to join, and a very cool new set of armor/weapons with the sword and board fighter in mind. Basically it is for your classic knight character. So not great for a magician, thief, or archer. It takes place in Cyrodiil, but does add a few new dungeons to explore during the quest.

The others are all kind of bland. Although I still have not gotten around to doing the Thieves Den yet, so do not count that one.

If you are playing on an XBox or PS3, Wizard's Tower is handy because it gives you spellmaking and enchanting altars. So you can use them without joining the Mages Guild. But if you are on the PC, you can just open the console and type in showspellmaking or showenchantment and get the same thing.

Fighters Stronghold gives you a castle, and a couple fights to go with it. If you are on the PC, you can find much better castles and quest mods at TES Nexus for free.

Vile Lair gives your vile characters a lair, including a free meal for vampires to snack on. Meh.

Spell Tomes adds in a bunch of books to the random loot that give you new spells. Not new spell effects mind you. They just took the vanilla spell effects and put them together in different ways than you see in vanilla spells. Nothing you cannot do yourself.

Orrery. Gives you a quest fighting bandits for a while, then a really neat planetarium to look at in the Arcane U. But once you stop oohing and ahhing over the neat gizmo, it just gives you a once a day power that varies depending on what time of the month it is. Since I never use powers like that, meh.

Horse Armor. If you have a horse, you can get two styles of armor for it. Looks snazzier, and your horse will live longer. So I would say a must for horse riders. Unless you play on the PC, where you can just set your horse to essential. But the armor still makes your horse look cooler...
Queen

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:30 am

i think that the equipment you get durring the quest of the dagger are better than the actual dagger!!
Samantha Wood

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:36 am

I say get them all apart from horse armor
Mehrunes razor was great it took me like 2-3 hours to do and I came back will +10k gold

And the house mods are a must have you wont regret it
Lady Shocka

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:16 am

MR was a blast. 500+ hours on me Dunmer Assassin. I would recommend it. Think ES Wiki says it has 23 zones all told. Some have already pointed out the good things about it. If your playing Vanilla, this is one of only a few places to get enchanted arrows. One thing that no one has mentioned: The best light armor (Vanilla) in the game is in this dungeon, but I don't want to spoil it if you have never done this. Good Hunting!

D~
sara OMAR

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:11 am

Thieves den is really nice for archer/stealth characters IMO. There's a Marksman trainer who can train up to level 75, any time of day or night, who also sells normal and enchanted arrows. There's other vendors who train and sell some neat stealth-oriented stuff, plus a fence for any stolen loot. I find the theme of the place to be kinda silly, but it's useful.
Bambi

Return to IV - Oblivion