Skyrim and Tesselation

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:38 am

Will The Pc version have tessellation ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uavLefzDuQ
Claire Jackson

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 pm

By the sounds of it I'd say no, but who knows. We don't know yet if it will have direct x 11 support.
Jeff Turner

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:09 am

Not having dx11 support would be so wrong. It's not only about the end of 2011, it's about the years to come when the modders can help Skyrim keep up with newer games should they have the tool included.
JD bernal

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 pm

We don't know, but it seems very unlikely to me.
Monika

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 pm

I would voice my support for it (especially since I just bought a new computer). I hope it's in!
Ash

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 am

Wut tessellation !?! i think the pc version will be very close to the console version ;)
Samantha Jane Adams

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I'd like to see it too.
Quick draw II

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:20 am

We don't know, but it seems very unlikely to me.

Yeah, sadly. :confused: Skyrim seems like the perfect title to use tesselation and show what it could mean for a game. I hope they have some time left before 11-11 and some brave programmer gets adventurous. :thumbsup:
Penny Courture

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 pm

The problem right now is with the 360 and ps3 being more popular than pc, and said companies milking sales in those, the PC gaming market is stagnating. And I don't think we'll see improvements unless a game is a PC exclusive or the next gen consoles come out.
vanuza

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:26 am

Again, Todd being comfortable with XP32bit makes this unlikely.
Talitha Kukk

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:56 am

I hope Skyrim will take advantage of DX11, or at least support it so modders can use it.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Does anyone know what the real technical barrier a programmer would be looking at to support DX11? I mean if the game doesn't already have it, is it even something that can be implemented now? It sounds like this would have needed to be a design decision from the beginning.
Ross Zombie

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Look at p. 52 GI-article. Very flat ground and hay-roof with very very little depth.
That is proof there is no tessellation. It would look soooo much better.
On that pic, it just looks flat and unrealistic. Kind of ugly in my honest opinion.

I'm hoping for at least tessellation support by DX 11.
And I'm hoping for something like maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcAsJdo7dME to increase depth if tessellation is not in.
Steph

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 am

If it doesn't, I would be very sad. Skyrim would be dated before it even hit the shelf.

@hlvr: It's been stated that the magazines saw the console version, so their screenshots wouldn't have it anyways, even if it is in the PC version.
Kaylee Campbell

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Look at p. 52 GI-article. Very flat ground and hay-roof with very very little depth.
That is proof there is no tessellation. It would look soooo much better.
On that pic, it just looks flat and unrealistic. Kind of ugly in my honest opinion.

I'm hoping for at least tessellation support by DX 11.
And I'm hoping for something like maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcAsJdo7dME to increase depth if tessellation is not in.

Those screenshots were taken from the game's Xbox 360 engine graphics. While I'm aware that the game's whole is based off of the consoles, I am absolutely certain that the game will look MUCH better on the PC.

So I'm cautiously optimistic here.
Stephy Beck

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:07 am

Even the 360 supports some minor forms of tessellation, so it'd be really nice for it to be in - but it's already confirmed that all platforms will look approximately the same, and tessellation could increase visual fidelity so much that apparently it's not *fair* :\
Kelsey Hall

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:21 am

If it doesn't, I would be very sad. Skyrim would be dated before it even hit the shelf.

@hlvr: It's been stated that the magazines saw the console version, so their screenshots wouldn't have it anyways, even if it is in the PC version.

Those screenshots were taken from the game's Xbox 360 engine graphics. While I'm aware that the game's whole is based off of the consoles, I am absolutely certain that the game will look MUCH better on the PC.

I know I know. It's taken on the consoles. BUT. If Skyrim had tessellation, they would obviously show screens on the PC version. So we can rather safely assume tessellation is not in yet.
It probably won't be in later either.
That's why I brought up parallax occlusion mapping. That's the best alternative to tessellation, in order to bring depth to otherwise flat, ugly and unrealistic textures (sorry if I sound pessimistic, but that's kind of the truth, really).
Flash

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 am

I whanna see this graphic on the pc version !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTuAw_i7ngI (whatch in hd) soo i can burn my gtx 570 ! XD
Anne marie

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 am

PR standard would be to show the best-looking version, wouldn't it? Many promotional screens of Fallout 3 and Oblivion were from the PC version with maxed settings rather than the medium-low settings the consoles got.
Drop that optimism, now! ^_^
lauraa

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 am

Why do you need something like dx11??
The game will look great. Remember Morrowind "Alongside the compliments, however, came criticism that the game designers had overstretched themselves, leaving glitches in various spots, and made a game too taxing to be run on an average machine, with one reviewer calling it "a resource pig"."
Dx9 is in it's best years, there is no experimentation, no risks. Let them make a great solid game with the tools that they can trust so that we can have less glitches, bugs, a great looking game and a solid performence.

BTW I have I7 930, HD5970 and if I can run the game on 1920x1200 and move those sliders to the right I'll be happy, and I don't want to worry about running the game and frame rate drops.
YO MAma

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 am

I know I know. It's taken on the consoles. BUT. If Skyrim had tessellation, they would obviously show screens on the PC version. So we can rather safely assume tessellation is not in yet.

There's no reason to believe that. GI is a console magazine (or mostly a console magazine), and it's logical that they show screenshot for the platforms that are (sadly) more popular.

If they had released Tessellated PC screens, it'd be considered to overhype the game.

So I'm also reasonably optimistic. Plus, I believe Todd and some other devs already stated that the PC version will have higher quality than the consoles. Let's hope they include DX11 features in that definition.

Why do you use Trilineal and 16x Anisotropic Filtering? You could get enough with a crappy Bilinear (or Point) one, isn't it?
Your Mum

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:08 am

The game will look great. Remember Morrowind "Alongside the compliments, however, came criticism that the game designers had overstretched themselves, leaving glitches in various spots, and made a game too taxing to be run on an average machine, with one reviewer calling it "a resource pig"."
Dx9 is in it's best years, there is no experimentation, no risks. Let them make a great solid game with the tools that they can trust so that we can have less glitches, bugs, a great looking game and a solid performence.

BTW I have I7 930, HD5970 and if I can run the game on 1920x1200 and move those sliders to the right I'll be happy, and I don't want to worry about running the game.

Except that adding nice visuals like tessellation doesn't require any additional effort from anybody but the graphics programmers, who are going to be programming graphics anyway. Tessellation would *not* reduce performance, it is a system where you can very quickly modify the quality of things on the fly in order to give more detail closer up, and smoothly fade in detail as you get closer. It could increase performance, by reducing the need for too detailed LOD at large distance, as well as removing the issue of that same LOD not being detailed enough when you're up close.

And in any case, that's a very selfish position to take, don't you think? You want the game to have fewer features to you can run it on max, despite the fact that having features you couldn't run wouldn't actually make your game look worse, you just wouldn't have sliders to the right? "If I can't have it, then nobody can!" mentality isn't healthy.
KRistina Karlsson

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:21 am

Because DX11 gives the game the potential to look a lot better.
It's all about how it looks, and how it can look when modders get their hands on it.
Adam Baumgartner

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:29 am

BTW I have I7 930, HD5970 and if I can run the game on 1920x1200 and move those sliders to the right I'll be happy, and I don't want to worry about running the game.

If you think DX11 is some glitchy tool that is risking to cause bugs and performance issues, you're sooooo wrong. You should read up on it.

First, DX11 has NOTHING to do with bugs or glitches in the game. Second, DX11 would increase the performance of using certain technologies many many times more than DX9 would.
Performance issues, glitches, bugs has to do with the game (and in this case partly also the Gamebryo engine...).

If everything thought like you, we would still be living in the middle-ages... saying "Oh but the oil lamp is the best thing in ages! Why would we need electricity? Screw that! Let's ditch it forever!" (sorry for the sarcasm :))
Dean

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:05 am

I think it's a good time to say....

ADVANZALISTS UNITED!!!

(Sorry for the bad joke :D).
Genocidal Cry

Next

Return to V - Skyrim