Skyrim's Elves vs LOTR Elves

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:34 am

The psijics are very powerful, but something mages dont have is numbers. People like potema for instance still need grunts on the ground despite their power.

Amanda Furtado

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:55 am

Just like how armies would need magi in order to succeed against other magi.

Anyways, I'm just going on the same bat[censored] crazy rant at Tonedog above, just mage-flavored.

Peter P Canning

Post » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Graceful sissy? Feanor of the Noldor stood in front of the Valar and swore an oath against their will, calling down eternal darkness upon himself if he broke it.

Orcs are also Elves in LOTR. Corrupted by Morgoth, mostly around the First Age.

Lillian Cawfield

Post » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Nords don't :P But yes, its cool, we all have our preferences. Truth is the army that utilizes all weapons at their disposal is the one better equipped for victory. Even Nords once upon a time used magic more widely and not just the thu'um. I think if they're independent and can't rely on imperial battlemages, that will happen again.

Philip Lyon

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:50 am

A Calaquendi could walk up to an Orc and throw him halfway across Skyrim.

Tamika Jett

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:51 am

To me if an altmer obliterated a room of nords, redguards and orcs with a zap, I'd just be like "bummer, a wuss just obliterated a bunch of tough badasses with his wussy zap, what a wuss". If an elf flicked his wrist and nuked an entire town I'd be like "why is that limp wristed wuss nuking a town? Can someone please arrest that wuss and hold him accountable for his diabolical misdeeds?", I mean again, it just has absolutely nothing to do with what I admire and what I'm talking about, and in no way de-wussifies them. If anything it magnifies their wussiness that they use such cheating cowardly tactics.
The ceo could conceivably smuggle a billion dollar laser gun into the room in his anus and obliterate the linebacker, he could have used his influence to have the room rigged to drop a gas mask just for him before gassing the linebacker, all irrelevant. To me the linebacker is the badass regardless of any outcome because we all know man to man he squashes the ceo's head like a graqe, he's the better animal, IMO.

Katie Samuel

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:27 am

Educate me on how he would achieve this, I plead somewhat ignorant to calaquendi prowess, all I know is they look like big wusses. I find that kind of silly and fantasy-immersion breaking if a twinkle toed fairy elf is that strong.... or is this magic again? Because if it is, I don't care.

Alada Vaginah

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 am

Ok... and when did he start grabbing people, holding them down and beating them to death... I mean when did he do something to contradict "graceful sissy"? Because what you just outlined sure as hell doesn't do that.

Elena Alina

Post » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:17 pm

He led his host against a few thousand Orcs and wiped them out. Died in the process, but...

His sons and the other Eldar then:

-Annihilated a number of Orc armies

-Killed Balrogs

-Fought Morgoth in person, nearly winning

These people pretty much spent the entire First Age killing Morgoth's minions. They forged the strongest armors and sharpest weapons the world has ever seen. They used those weapons to slaughter thousands, if not millions, of Orcs. They rushed headlong into battle against massive armies and almost impossible odds. They hurled themselves against any foe, no matter how great.

Gwen

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:27 am

Enchantments. I'm sure Nords use enchantments extensively. I mean, yeah, magic is the most natural thing in the world and magi are basically scientists of Nirn. What's stopping some Nord magi from popping up in armies again, anyways?

Well, I did say that is my preference, like how I acknowledged your worshiping of brutes is yours. The better 'animal' would be one who is the fittest (which doesn't necessarily mean physically fit, exclusively) "Cheating" and "cowardly tactics" are fair game in nature. It doesn't matter if one is more powerful than the other. Remember, this is a world of magic. If the brute can outwit the mage, then the brute would win. If the brute is a moron, then the mage can just light them on fire and be done with it, because they'd be both stronger and smarter--more fit than the brute. They used everything they know to their advantage, just like any 'animal' would.

Abi Emily

Post » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Hyperbole. He would easily kill a few dozen Orcs in combat, using good old fashioned sword and armor.

Sweets Sweets

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:13 am

TES Elves are a very diverse group, wile LOTR Elves are all very alike. I like LOTR Elves, but there are TES Elves I hate and TES Elves I like. I can't truly say ones better then the other, though if I had to spend time with some it would be LOTR Elves (you know your going to be treated okish with them at least).

Sammygirl

Post » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:49 pm

No I really want my big BA, heavy armor wearing, battleaxe swinging http://i.minus.com/ibhCIOkdqc3qW.jpgto be my next male character instead of my http://i.minus.com/ieUtidHUNg8lM.jpg.

Jason White

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:06 am

Would you mind terribly toning down the male chauvinistic stereotypical gender-role enforcement?

It's starting to get on my nerves and it crossed the line of being offensive long ago.

Look around you, the world sure as heck doesn't comply to your narrow convention, why should any work of fiction do so?

Pat RiMsey

Post » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:02 am

It's kind of funny that posters here go around assuming that the elves of LotR are effeminate pansies, considering what we've seen of the elves.

Finrod dueled Sauron.

Fingolfin's majesty was so great that the hosts of Angband thought he was the Vala Orome, and he inflicted seven great wounds on Morgoth himself.

Feanor created the greatest artifacts ever known to Arda, and he pursued Morgoth to Angband before fighting the Balrog-host.

Gil-galad fought Sauron himself on the slopes of Orodruin alongside Elrond, Cirdan, Isildur and Elendil.

Elrond and Galadriel were routinely forced to wrestle with the Will of Sauron as the Dark Lord's mental assaults grew more and more frequent.

james kite

Post » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Did I mention gender in here?

cassy

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim