Skyrim Relationships: Friendship, Romance, Marriage, Cheatin

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm

I never encountered that maid. (Don't think I ever bought a house in Skingrad.)

What was it about that NPC that you didn't like? And is she an automatic resident if you buy a house there?

http://uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Eyja

I don't think the NPC was all that terrible. In fact, it was a great start because she did react to changes to your character (contracting disease) and would also cook and provide food.
Alisia Lisha

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 pm

This thread svcks...I don't wanna put my questions here...damnit summer...now I might not make a character dedicated to you :'(
Jason Wolf

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 am

I find romance/marriage in a video game to be sad/lame/pathetic so I chose "none of the above" for all poll options. To me, it's TES going in a very wrong and bad direction.
Thumbs down for you Bethesda :down:
Jonathan Montero

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 am

"Hello. I saw mudcrab the other day.."

"Day and night she talks, each word more useless than the next"

"I am very fond of nice things. How fortunate I can afford them!"

"Give me cancer now God!"
Marquis T

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:33 am

I almost hope that if your wife moves to your house she spends a considerable time nagging. :P

lol that sounds familiar...usually nagging cos i play too many games :D ( i could be getting nagged in Stereo...AArrrhhh)

Really though ,this marriage thing will be amusing i think. Just a bit of "tounge in cheek" fun.
Christina Trayler

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:36 pm

You poll included humourous options such as romancing a Golden Saint or Dark Seducer.
But you forgot the Xivilai.
Xivilai are hot.

I must agree for the Xivilais, they are hot (but cruel - however I don't lose hope to find a tender one some day :wub: ). But I must disagree about the Mazkens: they are hot as well, that is as hell. I am already planning a bisixual polygamous Breton conjurer, worshipping both Sanguine and Dibella... :hubbahubba:
Kit Marsden

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:55 pm

I find romance/marriage in a video game to be sad/lame/pathetic so I chose "none of the above" for all poll options. To me, it's TES going in a very wrong and bad direction.
Thumbs down for you Bethesda :down:

I thought everyone wanted more options? This isn't a feature I care too much for in games, but the beauty is that it's there for people who want it. I welcome extra depth.
james reed

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I thought everyone wanted more options? This isn't a feature I care too much for in games, but the beauty is that it's there for people who want it. I welcome extra depth.

Exactly :) ..if you don't want to do it you don't have to .
jadie kell

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:33 am

Well, people want more options of the options they want. Not more options of the options they don't want. :teehee:
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 am

Well, people want more options of the options they want. Not more options of the options they don't want. :teehee:

Double edged sword :(
Lizs

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:55 am

Well, I have new questions to add to the debate.

Will wedding require dowry? In case the beloved one is of poor condition, it could open nice quests, requiring you to uncover ancient, long lost family treasures (s)he could use as dowry afterwards.

Will it be necessary to recieve a wedding allowance from the parents of the beloved? In case marriage happens without this, what consequences could it give cause to in the behaviour of the parents towards the player? And how will other relatives react? For example, a protective brother could ask you to prove your value through some quest, or simply try to kill you... I could even imagine a horrible situation where a just married wife or a promised one asks her husbands to flee from her natal town because she fears the jealousy of an incistuous relative, brother or father or uncle. Then the player would be forced to face horrible dilemmas, while killing the relative would lead her beloved to a desperate sorrow and possibly to a guilt feeling, since she revealed you the despicable thing, while not killing him would lead to pose a threat on his family due to the potentially murderous inclinations of the hated one.

In a more general context, I would like to know whether wedding could lead to jealousy, and how it would affect the relations of the player with the other NPCs, possibly breaking friendships. Will the ones who were dismissed to your advantage try to avenge?

That's a new bunch of possible ways to exploit the marital stuff I found, but perhaps am I hoping too much from a single game? But after all, it's a :tes: game...
Spaceman

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:52 am

I hope its not handled like fable :S
Esther Fernandez

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:18 pm

I hope its not handled like fable :S

I doubt it will. Some people don't realize Fable is designed to be silly and cheesed in aspects like that, whereas I doubt Bethesda will treat this in their own game with the same mentality.
BlackaneseB

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 am

"If this famous NPC is in Skyrim I want to pursue a romance or marriage with him/her"

Why is Jiub not there?!
BEl J

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:50 pm

"If this famous NPC is in Skyrim I want to pursue a romance or marriage with him/her"

Why is Jiub not there?!

Um...because you'd be romancing his dusty old bones if he was? :P
pinar

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Would you want guns if it was an option? More weapon diversity! :)

My point is, not all options are wanted. I think romance/marriage takes TES in a very bad/wrong direction, just like guns would (but in a different way, obviously). So... thumbs down for Bethesda, big thumbs down :down:
CYCO JO-NATE

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:20 am

I'll accept romancing if my only pick up line option is:

Hey baby, when can I raid YOUR dungeon?

I kinda like the idea of being able to get anyone to be your companion.

I shall find the most annoying characters in skyrim and create an amry of annoying the likes of which the world has never seen!

Or get every orc in skyrim on my side, find and raid a town killing all inhabitants, then move in and call it new orsinium.
Your Mum

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Or get every orc in skyrim on my side, find and raid a town killing all inhabitants, then move in and call it new orsinium.

Actually that sounds like fun - I hadn't considered that you can sort-of kind-of make your own faction this way.
Elisabete Gaspar

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Would you want guns if it was an option? More weapon diversity! :)

My point is, not all options are wanted. I think romance/marriage takes TES in a very bad/wrong direction, just like guns would (but in a different way, obviously). So... thumbs down for Bethesda, big thumbs down :down:

Adding guns would be quite different than relationships. It's a game filled with hundreds/thousands unique NPC's. Relationships should exist. The beauty is that we don't have to partake in it, but the people who want to can. I'm 100% for this.
hannah sillery

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Adding guns would be quite different than relationships. It's a game filled with hundreds/thousands unique NPC's. Relationships should exist. The beauty is that we don't have to partake in it, but the people who want to can. I'm 100% for this.

I have a feeling even those who voted "no" for the friendship option might enjoy some kind of friendship relationships with certain NPCs, depending on how this feature is implemented.

Even in Oblivion, for example, I completed certain quests simply because I found some of the involved NPCs interesting, and wanted to develop that little mini-narrative further.

If I didn't have any emotional investment whatsoever in any of the NPCs in the game, then I would start to lose interest in the stories of each of these quests, and even in the broader arc of the Main Quest. Is it really worthwhile to attempt to save a world you don't really care about?
Pumpkin

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I have a feeling even those who voted "no" for the friendship option might enjoy some kind of friendship relationships with certain NPCs, depending on how this feature is implemented.

Even in Oblivion, for example, I completed certain quests simply because I found some of the involved NPCs interesting, and wanted to develop that little mini-narrative further.

If I didn't have any emotional investment whatsoever in any of the NPCs in the game, then I would start to lose interest in the stories of each of these quests, and even in the broader arc of the Main Quest. Is it really worthwhile to attempt to save a world you don't really care about?

I couldn't agree more. I love the fact that Beth has implemented relationships into Skyrim. I've seen many a post over the months saying how Beth is great at creating worlds, but has lacked in the character/relationship department. Hopefully they have pulled it off and have created an even more immersive world.
Vicky Keeler

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:23 pm

she want my gold ????? sure if i want to divorce i bring a monster in the house and get it to kill her easy simple or make her to divorce so she wont have half of my 400k

yes i got 400k in oblivion :D

but if shes the one that the divorce she wont have the money right????
sam smith

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

My ideal romance option is a Dunmer Witch who will help me destroy the Empire.
Maddy Paul

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:30 am

she want my gold ????? sure if i want to divorce i bring a monster in the house and get it to kill her easy simple or make her to divorce so she wont have half of my 400k

yes i got 400k in oblivion :D

but if shes the one that the divorce she wont have the money right????

Excellent question - hmm....

Isn't it customary in most cultures to give up half your gold when you get divorced?

what if you have multiple houses, does she get to keep one of them?

/this will probably be incorporated into a fun DIVORCE MOD, rather than in the vanilla game
Natalie J Webster

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Never saw marriage coming up in an Elder Scrolls game.. Although, it should be enjoyable. I find it funny that they have Dragon in the "would you pursue romance/marriage with a..." List
Arn't Greybeards a type of Dragon as well? (It's in the list too).
I think it would be cool to marry a Dragon; However, I think I'd stick with an Imperial. Or if they don't have Imperials in the game Nord.
Emilie Joseph

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim