Skyrim Relationships: Friendship, Romance, Marriage, Cheatin

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:40 am

haha, let's hope it won't end up like Bioware nowadays. :celebration:
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 pm

I have often heard about the possibility that the player should have to be unfaithful.

However, I haven't heard as much on the possibility that the player could be cheated on as well. How should the player learn about his/her spouse's unfaithfulness? Should he learn that by hearing rumors (though this wouls be weird seeing NPCs talking openly of the spouse's behaviour in front of the player) or spy him/her? And once he knows, what should be the options the game offer him to react?

In a similar context, will friends and spouses be able to lie and manipulate the player, leading her/him commit crimes he otherwise wouldn't so that they can reach their own, possibly evil, hidden purposes? How should then the player learn their true goals?

Will the spouse be able to use every item that happen to be at his or her disposal in the house shared with the player? Or even which is not in that house but in another house belonging to the player?

Will it happen that the spouse becomes jealous and suspicious while you did not cheated on him or her? In that case, will you be able to find and, err, dispose of the source of the rumors you could suffer from (possibly a dismissed suitor who wants to seduce your wife, or even to seduce yourself once the wedding is broken)?
Sweets Sweets

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Oh and I nearly forgot.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Beauty_and_the_Bandit? That is, if (s)he appears to be charming, will I be able to pay the fee and then try to seduce him/her, or let him/her go and try afterwards to find him/her back? Possibly asking other highwaymen or people of a thieve's or smoker's guild for information about the mysterious guy/girl?
kirsty williams

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:32 am

Why is the lust argoinen maid (lifts-her-tail) lossing to a nameless bar maid from a screen shot?
...yes i know thats not how you spell argoinen...
emma sweeney

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:26 am

I have often heard about the possibility that the player should have to be unfaithful.

However, I haven't heard as much on the possibility that the player could be cheated on as well. How should the player learn about his/her spouse's unfaithfulness? Should he learn that by hearing rumors (though this wouls be weird seeing NPCs talking openly of the spouse's behaviour in front of the player) or spy him/her? And once he knows, what should be the options the game offer him to react?

This presents fascinating opportunities for some really fun quests, and a much more interesting relationship with that NPC; however, sadly I think it would be too ambitious for the devs to pull off in the vanilla game. Fortunately, I imagine there are a lot of these kinds of features that could be added to a relationships overhaul mod, enhancing the complexity of romance, marriage, cheating, divorce.

In a similar context, will friends and spouses be able to lie and manipulate the player, leading her/him commit crimes he otherwise wouldn't so that they can reach their own, possibly evil, hidden purposes? How should then the player learn their true goals?

I certainly hope so!

Will the spouse be able to use every item that happen to be at his or her disposal in the house shared with the player? Or even which is not in that house but in another house belonging to the player?

I think it's likely that spouses will consume food items, as we have seen NPCs consume items in previous Bethesda games.

I'm not so sure about spouses being able to relocate to various houses in cities spread out across Skyrim. I suspect spouses will only move in with the player if the PC buys a house in their hometown. The reason is because if you marry a baker, for example, or a merchant, s/he is not going to trek from Windhelm to Solitude every morning just to open up their shop. Since spouses will likely still have some sort of daily activity routine and jobs similar to whatever they did before marriage, I don't believe they would be able to relocate to far away towns unless there are a few select NPCs without jobs, that are designed to be able to relocate and serve primarily as adventuring companions.

Will it happen that the spouse becomes jealous and suspicious while you did not cheated on him or her? In that case, will you be able to find and, err, dispose of the source of the rumors you could suffer from (possibly a dismissed suitor who wants to seduce your wife, or even to seduce yourself once the wedding is broken)?

Fascinating idea - if this is not in the vanilla game it would be great to incorporate into a Relationships Overhaul Mod.
Kelly James

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 pm

I look forward to seeing how this aspect of the game plays out. But please, please, please, Bethesda, make the romance and marriage interests of both genders available to characters of both genders to accommodate all sixual orientations. Do this, and I will loudly proclaim the greatness of Bethesda Softworks to the farthest reaches of cyberspace.
ShOrty

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:09 am

I look forward to seeing how this aspect of the game plays out. But please, please, please, Bethesda, make the romance and marriage interests of both genders available to characters of both genders to accommodate all sixual orientations. Do this, and I will loudly proclaim the greatness of Bethesda Softworks to the farthest reaches of cyberspace.

They probably will so they don't have to deal with anything like http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/2883314/1. Personally, I'm wondering how much longer we'll go before they make a separate forum for romances.
Tom Flanagan

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Can you do gay marriage and six?no homo
Nathan Barker

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Can you do gay marriage and six?no homo

don't exactly understand how the two parts of your question fit together.

but so far it has not been confirmed whether there will be same six marriages or not.

since a lot of fans of Bethesda's previous open world sandbox RPGs like to try playing various races, both genders, various class builds, and enjoy unlocking unique dialogue options, I think there would probably be some fan backlash if same six romance options are not possible at all in the game.
Brooke Turner

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:20 am

http://roboawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Got_A_Bad_feeling.jpg
laila hassan

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 am

since a lot of fans of Bethesda's previous open world sandbox RPGs like to try playing various races, both genders, various class builds, and enjoy unlocking unique dialogue options, I think there would probably be some fan backlash if same six romance options are not possible at all in the game.

At this point I don't believe fan backlash is a deterrent for any of Bethesda's decisions. Look how many complaints there are already for different topics. They probably wouldn't be phased by people adding a lack of s/s marriages to the list :laugh:
Damian Parsons

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:21 am

I planned to marry a powerful conjurer in some gamethrough, but then I realized it could be dangerous in case I forget our anniversary. The angry spouse could invoke Valkynaz, Frost Monarchs and possibly even give the duke Kh-Utta of Scamps and his seven legions a chance to be feared again by killing the famous Dovakhiin.

Well, finally, a farming spouse whose best weapon is a broomstick is perhaps not a wrong choice?
TASTY TRACY

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 am

At this point I don't believe fan backlash is a deterrent for any of Bethesda's decisions. Look how many complaints there are already for different topics. They probably wouldn't be phased by people adding a lack of s/s marriages to the list :laugh:

You're probably right, though I don't believe talk of fan backlash is any way to influence the powers that be. The fact is, in the LGBT (lisbian, Gay, Bisixual, Transgender) blogosphere, any mention of gaming brings people singing the praises of lesser games such as Dragon Age and Fable, simply because they have been notoriously inclusive of LGBT gamers. Furthermore, those games actually drew many LGBT people into gaming in the first place. By reaching out to that market demographic, Bethesda would be doing themselves a favor. We LGBT consumers can be intensely loyal to those who recognize our existence and treat us with respect.
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 pm

GOOD GOD THAT POLL. WHAT THE HELL.

I really don't see the value of romance options in a video game. It's never been handled well and I certainly don't think gamesas will handle it well since I've never seen evidence to the contrary. The only way it might be possible is if they got some new writers. After Oblivion and Fallout 3 I certainly hope they did.
Fluffer

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:07 am

You're probably right, though I don't believe talk of fan backlash is any way to influence the powers that be. The fact is, in the LGBT (lisbian, Gay, Bisixual, Transgender) blogosphere, any mention of gaming brings people singing the praises of lesser games such as Dragon Age and Fable, simply because they have been notoriously inclusive of LGBT gamers. Furthermore, those games actually drew many LGBT people into gaming in the first place. By reaching out to that market demographic, Bethesda would be doing themselves a favor. We LGBT consumers can be intensely loyal to those who recognize our existence and treat us with respect.

"lesser games such as Dragon Age and Fable"? What was wrong DA? Unless of course, you mean DA2, which in that case, I don't think anybody praised it.
meg knight

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:14 pm

I would agree with you on this. As much as the Skyrim devs are eager to please the fans, they are painfully aware they can't please everyone. I was not proposing that a potential fan backlash regarding lack of same six marriage would necessarily influence the devs, merely that it seems there would be some fan backlash.

I do imagine, however, that even within the relatively small group of players which includes the devs and QA testers, there are going to be a number of people who would find it strange if there were no same six romance options in Skyrim.

Clearly, this sentiment is not limited to LGBT players, since many of us straight TES gamers would also find it a bit odd if there were no same six options in the game. Judging by the poll above, many who simply enjoy playing various races, both genders, various class builds, etc., are probably also going to enjoy unlocking unique dialogue options from same six romances with certain NPCs.

@JerzeyCJ - I think Hunting Wolf was suggesting that those games are "lesser" than Skyrim, in other words, if those games are praised, then Skyrim should be praised even more.
John Moore

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm

You have to remember that most fan backlash is the same small subset of people repeating their complaints over and over. It's seldom a cohesive complaint. Even the greaves/cuirass debacle, when polled on these forums, yields less uniform results than I'd expect (since few call that a good move).

Either way I do think Skyrim should embrace equality on this front. Tamriel hasn't been shown to be against that kind of relationship in any of the games I've played.
butterfly

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:30 pm

@JerzeyCJ - I think Hunting Wolf was suggesting that those games are "lesser" than Skyrim, in other words, if those games are praised, then Skyrim should be praised even more.

Exactly. Thank you.
le GraiN

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 am

so... your saying Gay people only play games because they can have six in them?

Chances are that they'll have same six marriages because of the sheers amount of whining that would come from people; "waaaah!!! why the [censored] can't my female elf do it with a female lizard?!?11111?!?! wtf!"

Also the fact that the press these days hook into any story and would manipulate it so that it came out as "Bethesda are massive homophobes don't buy this [censored]" and cause bad publicity.
Sweets Sweets

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 pm

of course there is six,
otherwise there wouldnt be any children
jessica robson

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:21 pm

so... your saying Gay people only play games because they can have six in them?

Chances are that they'll have same six marriages because of the sheers amount of whining that would come from people; "waaaah!!! why the [censored] can't my female elf do it with a female lizard?!?11111?!?! wtf!"

Also the fact that the press these days hook into any story and would manipulate it so that it came out as "Bethesda are massive homophobes don't buy this [censored]" and cause bad publicity.

I'm not sure exactly what Hunting Wolf meant, but I don't think he was suggesting that LGBT gamers only want to play games to have gay romances.

Probably he was referring to how anybody hears about an interesting game and tries it, then that leads to playing other games. For example if you are a sci-fi fan and read about Mass Effect on some blog, then try the game, like it and start buying other games.

In my case, I played a lot of strategy games, cRPGs and pen-and-paper RPGs when I was in high school, then didn't play any games at all for about 20 years until a friend lent me a copy of Civ4, which was fun because I had played the original Civ1 many years ago. That led me to try other games and for the past few years I have been an avid gamer.
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm not sure exactly what Hunting Wolf meant, but I don't think he was suggesting that LGBT gamers only want to play games to have gay romances.

Probably he was referring to how anybody hears about an interesting game and tries it, then that leads to playing other games. For example if you are a sci-fi fan and read about Mass Effect on some blog, then try the game, like it and start buying other games.

In my case, I played a lot of strategy games, cRPGs and pen-and-paper RPGs when I was in high school, then didn't play any games at all for about 20 years until a friend lent me a copy of Civ4, which was fun because I had played the original Civ1 many years ago. That led me to try other games and for the past few years I have been an avid gamer.

But I strongly doubt that anyone who is not interested in games will buy a game JUST because it has their sixuality options in, Just as someone who is looking forward to skyrim would not buy it just because they can't have same six relationships.

Civ brings back some memories...
Milagros Osorio

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:18 am

Civ brings back some memories...

LOL yes, Civ and the original Masters of Orion...good times
Allison Sizemore

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim