Skyrim Relationships: Friendship, Romance, Marriage, Cheatin

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 pm

Discuss Relationships, Romance, Marriage and Divorce here:

Today's Q&A responses revealed that you can now enter into romance relationships with NPCs in Skyrim and even get married, according to Bruce Nesmith:

7) Will we be able to have relationships with the NPCs, romantic or otherwise?
Bruce: Absolutely! You make friends with people by doing things for them. Friends in the game will treat you differently. Some of them will even agree to go with you into dungeons and on adventures. You can even get married. If you own a house, your spouse will move in with you.

• Will your PC get married?

• Divorced?

• Will you remain faithful or perhaps flirt with other NPCs behind your spouse's back?

• What about if you get thrown in prison, do you think your wife would visit you and bring you a lockpick?

• How do you think getting married (or getting divorced) will affect Radiant Story quests?

• Do you think your spouse might get kidnapped by The Horme bandits, for example,

• Or if you anger your wife, that she might take out a contract on your life?

• What will happen if you follow your spouse around for a day?

• Will they continue performing the same daily activities and job schedule they had before marriage?

• If you marry a baker, or a shopkeeper, would you expect her to behave differently than if you marry a fellow member of the Dark Brotherhood?
  • a general in the Rebel army?
  • a bandit?
  • the leader of the Whiterun Witches' Coven?
  • an assistant librarian at the College of Winterhold, who spends all her time cataloging books for the Ysmir Collective?
  • an aristocrat, Clan Matriarch or even the Jarl of a Clan that rules one of the Nine Holds?

• What does everyone think this new feature means for modders?

• Many mods added companions and romance features for Oblivion, but now that there is this framework, does it make this easier for creative modders to implement new quests and stories involving NPC friendships or romance?

More interesting questions:

One question I overlooked is that of the marital relationship of other NPCs. Will you be able to break a marriage by seducing one (of both) spouse(s), and then get married with the one of your choice? Will you be able, as an evil character, to kidnap one spouse to force the other to do something for you? Well, it would raise many difficulties for the devs, but I hope that some day, the ES games will reach that level of complexity... (Perhaps with Skyrim already :bowdown: ?)

One of the most interesting of these questions, from a gameplay and story-telling viewpoint (but not necessarily from the point of view of role-play) is that ennemies may try to harm the player through his family. Or to kidnap the beloved one to force him doing something. This could lead to long fascinating questlines (and would offer a brilliant application to the radiant story mechanics, since it would be heavily depending on the previous actions of the player). I really hope it will happen.

Marriage opens indubitably many unexplored and promising areas for the Elder Scrolls game, and could add immense depth to the world and its role-play dimension, but it seems to be a very complex stuff to handel, from a story-telling viewpoint as well as from the point of view of gameplay mechanics. I am really curious to know how the devs will handel the following matters.

If marriage is in the game, then divorce surely should be in. But how do the laws of Skyrim allow it (if they do), to what conditions? Would it raise many problems related to ownership?

Divorce isn't the only way to make an end to a marital status. Will repudiation be in the game? Widowhood is an other possible outcome. How will the inheritance be handeled? Will I be able to play a black widow, chasing for heritage?

Will homosixual relationship be possible? Will they possibly give rise to a wedding? How will other NPCs react to people involved into homosixual relationships? And how will they react to people involved into interracial relationships? In addition to official marriage, will there be unofficial romantic kinds of union?

Will we witness marital ceremonies? Will, for example, magic be involved to seal the oaths in some way? How do two people worshipping different gods get married? What kind of ceremony will they attend?

Will advltery be possible? What kind of consequence would it give cause to? What are the dictates of the different religions regarding faithfulness? Most probably will they vary considerably from a cult to another. Will some of them tolerate polygamy?

What new crimes will the laws punish? The examples that pop into my mind are conjugal violence, and possibly advltery.

Will it be possible to make or adopt children? In case of interracial wedding, will it be possible to have hybrid children?

How will it be possible to seduce people, and will your chosen appearance affect the way different people react to your charming attempts?

Will there be forced weddings? Will a powerful mage be able to cast spells in a permanent enough way to force someone to marry him/her, which could be seen as a form of mental and de facto enslavement? In a similar context, will I be able to invoke a Mazken or an Aureal, to bind her/him to Nirn and then to marry her/him?

Will my wife/husband be able to follow me into dungeons? Will my ennemies try to harm me through her/him?

Finally, and I surely hope not to focus the debate on this nearly off-topic point, to the point I hesitate to make a thread to it, but it is sufficiently closely related to the marital stuff to be posted here, will there be nudity and sixuality in the game? I mean, it would be very strange that spouses wouldn't even know what each other look like.

Please keep on topic and pay heed to Summer's warning:

"Please just discuss the relationships that may or may not be in the game and steer away from any off topic conversation. We are not discussing real world law or bigotry here, we are discussing what will or will not fit into this game.

In addition I ask that you refrain from expressing your strong opinions about life choices in a way as to offend other members or groups of members of this forum. "

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1207572-skyrim-npc-relationships-friendships-romance-marriage-divorce/

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1207471-getting-hitched-romance-marriage-divorce/

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1207393-getting-hitched/
lisa nuttall

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:56 am

The only friend I need is gold.

natalie mccormick

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I have to say I am quite worried about this "relationship/marriage" thing in TES. I'm of the belief that we as a society and as individuals already don't take our serious relationships seriously enough and that it may be because we are not willing to do all the hard work required to make such relationships work and because we just don't put enough thought into just how serious it is. Inviting it into a game seems to somehow cheapen serious relationships further.

Sort of makes me sad because they could never put the work and time into these in game relationships to make them have any real significant meaning.

Absolutely, I've noticed that RL relationships certainly do require a lot of work if you want them to "work"

I can see what you mean about relationships in-game in some way perhaps trivializing the notion of a romantic relationship. At the same time, on some (perhaps very basic) level, as we play any decent RPG, we are already entering into a sort of virtual relationship with any NPC that inspires any kind of emotional reaction (even if that emotion is just sympathy or camaraderie) which is part of what makes any story great.

Even taking a step back from the interactive nature of games, if I watch a sad movie, for example, and actually cry (damn you PIXAR!), or when I read a page in a GRRM novel that makes me want to throw the book across the room, on some level by virtue of engaging with the world and characters of those stories, I have some basic sort of relationship with those characters, even if they don't exist IRL.

In this way, greater complexity in the relationships between the PC and NPCs in Skyrim, while it might trivialize the concept of relationships in some way, in another it is simply following in the footsteps of basic storytelling. A good story desperately requires characters that the reader, or viewer, or gamer, etc., cares about on some level.
Emmi Coolahan

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:37 am

I hope you don't need a perk to be gay, I mean, who wants to waste a perk on that? (From the other thread)

I don't want children, as children do not grow fast enough to fit into the Skyrim timeline (Arena was ten years, but all the other games took around 2-5 years to complete according to canon, and who wants a pooping baby if you don't get to have a teen/advlt son later.
vicki kitterman

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I understand that there is already a relationship section, and I've read through a bit of it... But it's kinda long, and I'm a teenage girl, I've got teenage girl things to do, like having a short attention span. But I fear for relationships. I was an avid Dragon Age player (not the second one, that one was yuck) and I felt they did a decent job with it. But one thing I didnt like was our lack of relationship options. They tried to fix this in the second game, and it ended up making the concept of relationships completely lacking and bland, and certainly NOT as interactive as the first game!

Now, Elder Scrolls is a whole new concept of a game, and they took a lot more time on the development on the game itself. But relationships are difficult to pull off, very difficult... and time consuming! How do you think the dynamics of conversation and relationships will work? Will we actually have to put effort into things, or will the people we decide to like just throw themselves at us happily? How about conversation... will we continue to have assorted conversation options,especially after marraige? Will relationships trigger random events? Will race, skills, guild preference, etc all affect relationships? Do you think that an Elder Scrolls game will actually make us make hard choices? Ever?

Dynamic and interesting characters are hard to pull off, and I don't want some boring stone moving into my house!
Crystal Birch

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:15 am

No to all of the above. I do not want a relationship in ANY way in Skyrim. Gold is my only friend.
Ryan Lutz

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Absolutely, I've noticed that RL relationships certainly do require a lot of work if you want them to "work"

I can see what you mean about relationships in-game in some way perhaps trivializing the notion of a romantic relationship. At the same time, on some (perhaps very basic) level, as we play any decent RPG, we are already entering into a sort of virtual relationship with any NPC that inspires any kind of emotional reaction (even if that emotion is just sympathy or camaraderie) which is part of what makes any story great.

Even taking a step back from the interactive nature of games, if I watch a sad movie, for example, and actually cry (damn you PIXAR!), or when I read a page in a GRRM novel that makes me want to throw the book across the room, on some level by virtue of engaging with the world and characters of those stories, I have some basic sort of relationship with those characters, even if they don't exist IRL.

In this way, greater complexity in the relationships between the PC and NPCs in Skyrim, while it might trivialize the concept of relationships in some way, in another it is simply following in the footsteps of basic storytelling. A good story desperately requires characters that the reader, or viewer, or gamer, etc., cares about on some level.

You may be right we'll see. And really I don't mind it being available to those who want it, I just hope it's handled in a mature manner. I almost hope that if your wife moves to your house she spends a considerable time nagging. :P

But for me, I will more than likely avoid being married as I avoid companions most of the time. I like playing the loner.
Claire Lynham

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:42 am

Since we're discussing all relationships does that mean that my Dwemer love-bot and I no longer have to hide our love from a cruel and indifferent world?
Naomi Ward

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:33 pm

No to all of the above. I do not want a relationship in ANY way in Skyrim. Gold is my only friend.

That's what I've been saying!
Dan Stevens

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:57 pm

But for me, I will more than likely avoid being married as I avoid companions most of the time. I like playing the loner.

This. :thumbsup:
natalie mccormick

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:36 am

I think it will be pulled off just as it is done for friendships. The more quests or tasks you do for a person, the better the chance of getting them into a romance, and marrying you. I am hoping that after you get married, there will be other tasks through the Radiant Story system.
xx_Jess_xx

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 pm

If you have no friendships or relationships, who does your character plan to leave all that precious gold to when he/she gets eaten by Alduin?

A deserving charity perhaps?
Saul C

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:38 am

Since we're discussing all relationships does that mean that my Dwemer love-bot and I no longer have to hide our love from a cruel and indifferent world?

Sure we don't care as long as you keep all details private. ;)
Solina971

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Really? Well there goes my book mod...
john page

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Cheating would be hilarious for let's plays. I can imagine the comments now, "You have to kill her, man. Hide the body where they'll never find it."
NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:44 am

How long are these threads going to go on?
Da Missz

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:01 pm

I Love You Summer. :whistling:
Strawberry

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:23 am

If you have no friendships or relationships, who does your character plan to leave all that precious gold to when he/she gets eaten by Alduin?

A deserving charity perhaps?

My gold comes with me to my grave!
jaideep singh

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:35 am

My gold comes with me to my grave!

What about melting it down into a solid gold tomb? :hubbahubba:
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:18 am

If i cannot make a character dedicated to summer i will :brokencomputer: my pc :(
Alada Vaginah

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:18 pm

What about melting it down into a solid gold tomb? :hubbahubba:

Sure. I could even be in a solid gold mausoleum.
Flash

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:33 pm

I think Bethesda saying they're going to make a serious attempt at romance is like someone with a bunch of popsicle sticks with googly eyes saying they're going to attempt a serious Shakespeare rendition.
Blaine

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Will we actually have to put effort into things, or will the people we decide to like just throw themselves at us happily?

As Bruce mentioned that you have to "do things for them" to get NPCs to like you, it seems that there will necessarily be some quests involved, just to reach the friendship level, let alone the romance level, or the marriage level.

Maybe some NPCs have certain kinds of huge quests, like rescuing their sister from a powerful Dragon Priest, that might correspond to a higher degree of gratitude than, say, helping them kill rats in their basemant.
Jonathan Montero

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 am

What on Earth do an office full of nerds know about relationships anyway? If it makes people happy then let I guess it's another of those "don't use it if you don't like it" things, but It's not something I cared for in the Fable series and it's not something I'll care about in TES either.
Angel Torres

Post » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:35 am

At some point during the game, I will attempt to: Befriend and romance some of the NPCs. I am not particular interested in marriage but i'll probably atleast try it at some point. Divorce? i doubt it, i mean i won't just romance the first and best NPC i find and i imagine i will play for many hours before i even explore this part of the game. As for children, no thanks.

I am most interested in pursuing a romance or marriage with an NPC who is Nord, though i could have voted on any of the human races aswell as Dunmer and maybe also Bosmer.

I will try one of the following romance or marriage options Male PC - Female NPC, and if it's an option, Female PC - Female NPC aswell.

I'm most interested in pursuing a romance or marriage option with an NPC who is I don't really care much about that as long as they have an interesting personality, which will sadly most likely not be the case if every NPC is romanceable.

If this famous NPC is in Skyrim I want to pursue a romance or marriage with him/her Non of them.
An Lor

Next

Return to V - Skyrim