Target Location delivery type (spells)

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:27 am

Hi there, I've just begun scripting in Creation Kit and am having some trouble figuring something out. I am trying to script a magic effect that is of the delivery type Target Location - in essence delivering the scripted effect at the location the player is aiming at. The problem I am having is there doesn't seem to be a way to call the coordinates of the object/terrain of the targeted location to be able to put those to any use.

Is there a way to determine this or am I barking up the wrong tree? I have read about other people having similar issues but it didn't seem that anyone had tried using the Target Location delivery type so I thought I would ask

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers
Josh Trembly

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:11 am

If I remember right, the topics that have been on here about this have concluded that you can't cast spells at scenery, only at an object

(Have a search, though; I might be mistaken)
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 pm

well, the summon spells use target location, where the location is usually the ground and surroundings (though actors do not work). you can read out the locations coordinate by spawning an explosion object. you should check out the voicethrow shout, it exactly does all this stuff. what you basically have to do is creating a new explosion with a spawned object assigned. you can attach a script to this object which can read out position and stuff. create a new magic effect, set it to target location. the effect is "spawn scripted ref" (don't know, if thats important at all, but you never know). assign your new explosion object. and specify an area(!!!) for your effect! create your spell as usual, that it.
AnDres MeZa

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:10 am

That is excellent, MrMuh, thanks for the suggestions. I had thought "spawn scripted ref" would be something useful in this situation but the wiki says that it's not used. I'm going to assume "not used" means not used by Bethesda in the game, not that it shouldn't be used by anyone.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:06 am

actually, they did use it. though they were still too lazy mentioning it on the wiki. I also found much more stuff stated in the wiki as being "useless" or "obsolete" actually being used in magic effects.
marie breen

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Nevermind.
Samantha Wood

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 am

actually, they did use it. though they were still too lazy mentioning it on the wiki. I also found much more stuff stated in the wiki as being "useless" or "obsolete" actually being used in magic effects.
The Creation Kit Wiki as it is a continual work in progress. If you have knowledge, rather than calling the wiki editors lazy, you should add it to the wiki.

The Effect Archetypes section definitely needs help: http://www.creationkit.com/Magic_Effect#Effect_Archetypes
Just note where you found those effects that it says are not used...
Benji

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 pm

If you really want a location you can use, make an invisible (and very fast) projectile, have it spawn a custom (invisible) explosion that drops an invisible object, and reference that object in your script.
Patrick Gordon

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm

The Creation Kit Wiki as it is a continual work in progress. If you have knowledge, rather than calling the wiki editors lazy, you should add it to the wiki.

The Effect Archetypes section definitely needs help: http://www.creationkit.com/Magic_Effect#Effect_Archetypes
Just note where you found those effects that it says are not used...
well, of course I know the wiki is WIP. though, it would have been much better, the guys who were initially writing those articles admitting they don't know what this or that is used for, instead of irritating the reader by bluntly stating it is not used.(btw. I am not calling the wiki authors lazy, just the gamesas article writers since this article is there from the very beginning)
Amy Melissa

Return to V - Skyrim