Is there a free program to open .ace files?

Post » Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 am

[quote name='peachykeen' date='14 June 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1276539282' post='16043873']
WinRAR isn't freeware, but you can get it free, which is what the topic title says. There's both the trial version, which has a little nag box but works just fine (apparently forever, it hasn't turned off on me yet), or this:
http://www.win-rar.com/unpluggedinfo.html
Which is the portable, unplugged version and works just fine. The download is even from their site, so it looks like it's legitimate.
[/quote][quote name='haplobartow' date='15 June 2010 - 04:28 AM' timestamp='1276568896' post='16046370']
@ krzymar Yeah, those are all free programs ;).
[/quote]
I just replied the way, as I understood the question for completely free software, and not for a shareware, that is free to download, but not entirely free to use:
[quote name='ninja of ni' date='13 June 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1276459321' post='16040079']
(--snip--) Does anyone know of a completely free program for opening this type of file (--snip--)?
[/quote]
Either WinRAR or "WinRAR unplugged", or WinACE are shareware, and in the firm I work, they can't be used (after the trial period, if someone installed them earlier, or at all otherwise, if they aren't bought), even if the end of trial message doesn't start to display, and they aren't free for non-commercial / personal use either. So, if somebody states that they want a completely free software, I search for it, just to give the most legitimate solution for them, and not post a link to first most popular shareware, or trial of non-freeware but free to download program, which license says, that if you want to continue using it after the trial period, you must pay for it.
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Mon May 24, 2010 4:15 pm

I just replied the way, as I understood the question for completely free software, and not for a shareware, that is free to download, but not entirely free to use:
Either WinRAR or "WinRAR unplugged", or WinACE are shareware, and in the firm I work, they can't be used (after the trial period, if someone installed them earlier, or at all otherwise, if they aren't bought), even if the end of trial message doesn't start to display, and they aren't free for non-commercial / personal use either. So, if somebody states that they want a completely free software, I search for it, just to give the most legitimate solution for them, and not post a link to first most popular shareware, or trial of non-freeware but free to download program, which license says, that if you want to continue using it after the trial period, you must pay for it.

You are correct, those aren't totally free. I suppose it's up to the OP at this point whether they want to use trials/shareware or no, but either way, we've all managed to put together a pretty good-sized list of archive programs. ;)
And in there, you mention that you can't use those "in the first [you] work", is that just company policy or something? I know I've heard plenty of stories with companies refusing to use open-source and such for fear of catching the GPL bug :P, instead forcing employees to use whatever it was they bought last quarter.
jessica breen

Previous

Return to III - Morrowind