Vigilant Tyranus Glitch Help

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am

Hey All,

Being that I'm not new to forums, I realize from a quick search that this glitch has been identified. I'm not here to complain or gripe about glitches and what not. I'm just here to pick the minds of people who may or may not have alternate suggestions to my issue.

I'm one Daedric Artifact away from getting Platinum, and the Mace of Molag Bal is that last artifact. Currently Vigilant Tyranus, the NPC who is supposed to start the quest "House of Horrors," doesn't show up in front of the abandoned house.

Since I love lists here's a list of the things I have attempted to solve this glitch - from things I have read across the internet - as well as facts surrounding my individual play through.
  • I've heard that there might be a level requirement to get the quest to start, I'm a level 58, so this doesn't apply to me.
  • I've heard that if you enter Markarth initially through the, "A Night to Remember," quest that the "Forsworn Conspiracy," quest doesn't initialize via the murder just inside the gates. I did not have this problem. When I entered the city of Markarth initially, the murder of Weylin occurred per usual. I've also completed the Forsworn conspiracy quest.
  • I've heard that if you ask the bartender at the Silver Blood Inn for "rumors" he will lead you to the witch hunter Vigilant Tyranus outside of the city by the stables, thus sparking the quest. Unfortunately, the bartender doesn't even give me the option to ask for such rumors. All I can do is rent a room, or buy food and ingredients, so this is not an option.
  • I've heard that Vigilant Tyranus appears only at 3 a.m. or other specific times during the day. I have waited by the door, hour by hour, and he has never appeared. So this is not an option.
  • I have heard that Vigilant Tyranus sometimes hangs out by the Stables outside of Markarth. I have been over, and under, around and through every inch of the stables outside of Markarth, and he has never appeared.
  • I have heard that you must complete the main story quest line within Markarth, the main story line of the game, as well as the faction quest line between the stormcloaks and the Imperials. I have completed the quest line within Markarth, and am the Thane of Markarth, own a house there, have completed the main story line in the game and defeated Alduin, and overthrew the Imperials in the faction war. So this is not the case.
  • I have heard that, if you complete various quests in or around Markarth that it could trigger Tyranus' appearance.So, I have cleared the mines of Forsworn in one quest, killed Nimhe in Nchuand-Zel Excavation Site for Calcemo, completed the following quest, "The Lost Expedition," and have literally picked clean Markarth of every single quest possible. Still, Tyranus has not shown.
  • I have heard that it is possible that Tyranus may have been killed in the completion of the, "Forsworn Conspiracy," quest when the prisoners are released. However, I opted to kill the Forsworn King and escaped on my own, thus eliminating the prisoners from the equation. I even searched the Hall of the Dead up and down to see if Tyranus was in any of the caskets and may have been killed on accident whilst I was playing through, but alas, he was not there as well.
  • I have even heard such far stretching rumors that if I buy the dog, "Vigilant," from Banning outside of Markarth at the stables, that Tyranus will magically appear. But....you get the point, Tyranus did not appear.
  • I even came up with my own solution to search the, "Hall of the Vigilant," just south of Dawnstar to see if maybe Tyranus was there, but again, he was not.
So, as you can see I have exhausted nearly every option I have read on the internet. Obviously I can't do console commands on the PS3, so I can't bring him to me, but maybe you all have alternate suggestions? I will try anything. I'm a bit of a trophy [censored], so I'm trying to find the solution to this problem.

Thanks for the help!
Matthew Barrows

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 4:57 am

I did this quest wih no probs... I do not remember if he was outside the house wen i came back 2 markarth tho, he may have already been inside the house waiting for ur entrance.... Try checking in the first room in the house, if hes not there, check thr actual shrine in the basemant. Hope this helps.
Hussnein Amin

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 6:14 am

I did this quest wih no probs... I do not remember if he was outside the house wen i came back 2 markarth tho, he may have already been inside the house waiting for ur entrance.... Try checking in the first room in the house, if hes not there, check thr actual shrine in the basemant. Hope this helps.
Farrah Lee

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 am

Yeah, the house is locked and "requires a key to open," so that doesn't work either. So frustrating haha
ZANEY82

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 1:00 pm

You mentioned weylin being killed but not margaret. If margaret is still wandering around try stealth-killing her out in the market where weylin gets killed. This is supposed to jumpstart the forsworn quest which you've already done but it may force tyranus to spawn. Worth a try maybe
Allison Sizemore

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 2:26 pm

You mentioned weylin being killed but not margaret. If margaret is still wandering around try stealth-killing her out in the market where weylin gets killed. This is supposed to jumpstart the forsworn quest which you've already done but it may force tyranus to spawn. Worth a try maybe

Yeah, thanks for the idea. I'll give that a run. I'm not sure if she's still alive or not. I remember searching her room in the silver blood inn.
Leonie Connor

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 5:12 am

Turns out Margaret was dead as well. haha So this didn't help either. So frustrating! There HAS to be something I can do.
gemma king

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 1:11 pm

I am also having trouble starting the House of Horrors quest, I entered the city for the first time through the A Night to Remember quest and none of the other quests in the city started right. I did manage to get the Forsworn conspiracy quest going by stealthing and killing Weylin, but even after finishing the quest and the mines quest Tyranus still wont spawn. Checked the Stables and all over town, still not there. I think I can still get the Oblivion Walker trophy without this but I really wanted the mace.

I really hope the next patch sets Tyranus up as a permanant spawn in the town instead of a triggered one, it would solve this problem.
Racheal Robertson

Return to V - Skyrim