[REL] Wearable Lanterns

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Wearable Lanterns

Author: Chesko

E-mail - chesko.tesmod@gmail.com

////////////////Update 1.1:

* New lantern graphics, much more befitting an oil-burning lantern. Will add glass at a later time.
* Fixed trailing flames. The candles have been replaced.
* Followers should equip lanterns when given them, and they should produce light.
* Much smarter lantern light. It should (hopefully) always go away when unequipping, and always light up when equipping.
* A new book, a "Manual of Lantern Care", has been placed on top of a barrel to the right of the Riverwood Trader. Reading this book allows you to set new configuration options.
* Three configurable brightness settings from the book.
* New troubleshooting functionality from the book. This section will be expanded later.

Download

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=17416

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=72925849

Localized Versions:

http://modgames.net/load/304-1-0-11980

Description

Adds a craftable, wearable Travel Lantern that can be hooked onto your belt! Let it light the way in dark dungeons while you keep your hands free during combat and adventuring.

The lantern's placement on the belt was inspired by http://i.imgur.com/bH7aj.jpg. Not a great screenshot, but you get the idea.

This mod was inspired by a thread on the Bethesda forums, started by Iradiated BOXES, who asked if such a mod already existed. It seemed that it didn't, and I figured it would be simple enough to whip up in a few hours. Here it is!

How To Get The Travel Lantern

A Travel Lantern can be crafted by combining a Lantern (miscellaneous item) and a Leather Strip at a Forge. The lantern hooks onto your belt on the back and to the right. It produces light that is slightly brighter than a torch, so that it throws enough light in front of the player as to still be useful when playing in 1st person (since the light is slightly behind you).

Known Issues

The lantern may clip slightly with maces, and with some armors (most notably Iron). There is not much I can do about this.

Troubleshooting

"I put the Travel Lantern away, but it's still producing light!"
OR
"I put on the Travel Lantern, but it doesn't produce any light!"
Just put the lantern back on / take it back off again. The script sometimes needs to "see" who the player is once so that it can work correctly. This usually only happens once after loading your savegame.

"I can't find a Lantern to craft the Travel Lantern with!"
I added a new, unowned Lantern for your convenience to the right of the Riverwood Trader, next to a barrel. See http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/images/17416-1-1337541258.jpg for the exact location.

"I put on the Travel Lantern, but it doesn't produce any light!"
Please use the "No BSA" version instead.

Compatibility

The Travel Lantern uses apparel slot 55, which is the same slot that the Back Right packs from Bandoliers use (which equips to the same location). All this means is that your rear right back will unequip when equipping the lantern. This was to ensure compatibility and reduce clipping.

There should be no direct conflicts from using this mod with any other mods, including mods that add carryable lanterns.

Final Words

Thank you to the folks in the thread (http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1375303-lantern-on-waist-mod) for the ideas and for motivating me to do this fun project.

I'm not looking to revolutionize the world of lantern simulation technology, this was really just a quick, simple mod just to see if I could do it, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I hope you are, too. It could be made more interesting, such as requiring oil or some other fuel, or making it go out when swimming and require relighting, etc. Maybe when I'm less busy with my other projects (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=11163) I'll come back to visit it (or, you know, when I get frustrated and need something else to work on).

Thanks for reading, enjoy!
nath

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 5:21 am

Downloading right away! Thanks for doing this.
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 pm

sorry about this guys , but how can i change my username ??

plz help if you know
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 12:06 am

sorry about this guys , but how can i change my username ??

plz help if you know
Hi - you can't change your user name, although we can request minor corrections like capitalization or spaces or something. Since you just joined, and have no post count, I suggest you just create a new account instead. Unused accounts eventually get purged. You can PM me or any moderator with questions rather than derail a thread. :)

Now, back to the topic at hand folks. Thanks. :)
Oceavision

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Nice idea, seems like this will be very useful. Even being a mage who could cast Candlelight, having to do so all the time gets annoying. Did you think about adding this to some of the leveled lists? Might be cool to occasionally come across bandits or other evil doers that had one in use now and then, assuming they would equip it.
Love iz not

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 2:34 am

Maybe down the road. I'd like for it to be purchasable at general goods stores as well. I'll revisit it sometime after things have calmed down with some of my other mods.

Edit: Just pushed a minor update that increases the light radius slightly. The lantern light was a bit dim.
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 5:02 pm

This works like a charm, exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the mention as well :biggrin:, I only wish I had spelt my user name correctly all those years ago haha.
Sweets Sweets

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 am

*Deleted Post*
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 2:55 am

That was fast.
Michelle Chau

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 pm

this with your arsenal mod = http://i.imgur.com/LR7r7.jpg :banana:
Tasha Clifford

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 6:10 am

Wow I was actually going to request this exact thing like a week ago but I didn't think it would be possible. Great work!
Greg Swan

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Another must have from you Chesko! Well done!
matt white

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 am

I said that I wasn't going to spend much more time on this, but I got a lot of requests and I don't think they would take too long to implement. You're happy, I'm happy.

* 3 new lanterns; a lantern that hooks onto the front of your belt (near the dagger slot on the left side), and a smaller front and back variety.
* Lantern oil! A full lantern will be very bright, and will get dimmer as it runs out.
* Will see about allowing you to convert a travel lantern to a "carry mode" so you can put it in your hand if you want to.
* Your lantern will go out when swimming (or perhaps you will simply unequip it).
* Try to implement a more suitable glow effect.

* Will offer a "Wearable Lanterns Lite" version for those who don't wish to play with lantern oil mechanics or other complexities.

Writing the lantern oil script now. My plan is to make them last 16 minutes, which is 4x longer than a torch. Every 4 minutes, they will get progressively dimmer. A bottle of lantern oil will provide 50% of the oil needed to have a full lantern. (This is so that, if you want to top your lantern off when it's at 75%, you're only wasting half the bottle of oil instead of 3/4ths).

Not sure yet if I will support Dwemer oil. Perhaps I could make it restore 100% oil instead of 50%, to give it a bit of incentive.

Dropping your lantern will dump out the oil. Don't drop your lantern! (this is a technical restriction)
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 6:02 pm

Sounds great, cant wait for the update :)
josh evans

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Finally i dont have to be a rogue and learn candlelight spell,now if someone can figure something for clairvoyance spell.
1 thing where do u get oil?
Nicole Mark

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Is the new version out yet?
Emmie Cate

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 4:41 pm

If it was, I would have mentioned it. So, no, not yet.
Sophie Louise Edge

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 8:07 am

Sounds good. Will the oil be a store item, or can you craft it?
John Moore

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Wearable Lanterns 1.0a is now available http://modgames.net/load/304-1-0-11980

Thanks, Sandraniks!

Will the oil be a store item, or can you craft it?
Store-bought only most likely. I will see about adding it to junk leveled lists if doing so will not cause compatibility issues so that you may find it in random places.
liz barnes

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Very cool mod! It will go perfectly with those mods to decrease ambient Dungeon/Cave lighting. I like the idea of the new version having the oil run out after awhile. I would guess you'd purchase it from a store. I wonder if Nords would use fish oil or whale oil or just import olive oil from Cyrodiil. Maybe you could make the oil obtainable/craftable from fish or Horker fat since there aren't any whales currently. Slaughterfish seems like it would be an oily fish and a good candidate for rendering oil from its flesh.

Anyways - Great mod, thank you!
Farrah Lee

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 8:25 am

Such a cool idea, really nice I would suggest having a red light lantern and a blue colored one too, just for variety sake
Crystal Clear

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 4:29 am

Hi, you say it conflicts with Bandoliers as it uses the same slot. Is that a dangerous/crashing conflict, or will it just mean you can't wear both the back right bags, and a lantern at the same time? Much like you can't wear 2 helmets...
Or, will you be able to wear both with lots of unsightly clipping?
Nicholas C

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 4:39 pm

It will unequip the right hip bag that is located in the same space that the lantern would go when your lantern is equipped, nothing more. I never said that it "conflicts"; if anything, this was to ensure compatibility and reduce clipping. I'll make this more clear in the OP.

I spent last night working on http://i.imgur.com/IAe9n.jpg, since we're going to be using oil, after all. You can see the refill port, reservoir, and the flame spigot. I'll also be adding glass sides as well. (Which, mind you, are protected by metal pieces, so at least there's that).

The candles (and their annoying flames) are now gone, replaced with a very nice, warm glow effect that doesn't trail. I'm working on getting a small flame into the lantern as well (that won't trail). I will probably copy the torch's effect and scale it down since it already has many of the properties I want, such as flames that behave properly when running and a heat refraction effect. Next up is a front version, and a carryable version. Then I just move down the feature list.

To reiterate, oil consumption will be optional.
Kitana Lucas

Post » Mon May 28, 2012 3:46 am

That all sounds amazing. Great work on the lantern detail too. I never would have thought to add something like that. You are one productive mofo Chesko!
Jesus Sanchez

Post » Sun May 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey Chesko,

Great stuff. I have been running with the "Usable Lanterns" mod foe weeks now. The light is dimmer than a torch and a smaller radius, as it should be IMO. However that mod doesn't have a fuel consumption option.

Seeing that you are implementing that into your Lanterns, as well as having a customizable light feature and the ability to carry them, in lieu of them hanginbg off your character, gets me excited. I will be following this and looking forward to using this mod instead, when these features are added.

Keep it up,
- Mr. 5
Marina Leigh

Next

Return to V - Skyrim