Why do Americans celebrate Columbus Day?

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:17 am

is it true that the American education system says they were personally responsible for overthrowing Hitler? someone told me they do, but as far as I am aware it was the Soviets that hit Berlin

Jonny

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:50 pm

From what I was taught, yes, yes it does.

Scott

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Eh, my memory is a bit fuzzy. They most certainly emphasize America's involvement in the war over the Soviet Union (which doesn't come as a surprise). but I don't recall being taught America was personally responsible for overthrowing Hitler. I remember learning about the Soviet offensive on Berlin. Then again, I can't remember whether I learned that myself or if it was from the schools.

Adrian Powers

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:17 pm

We were taught that America put on an assault so large that Hitler committed suicide down here where I live! Nothing about the Soviets was mentioned. I do live in deep Texas, so that might explain it. :P

Brandon Bernardi

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:15 am

We single-handedly won World War Two with our eyes closed and one arm tied behind our back. We're that good. America is the Chuck Norris of countries. :D

Britta Gronkowski

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:09 am

Yeah, I definitely don't remember hearing that in school. Perhaps it was vaguely put as Allied powers where I was. However, I most certainly remember how one-sided the American Revolution is treated.

But yeah, I think it does go without saying that a lot of countries always try to make themselves appear more favorable throughout history.

Invasion's

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:26 pm

I recall reading about the Allied Powers, but it was only European countries and they were having so much trouble until American stepped in and rescued them.

Ah yeah, I remember the American Revolution. A friend who was born over the UK was taught something very different and I honestly am more inclined to believe that version.

I won't be surprised if the version of history changes depending on what State you're in. Now I'm curious.

Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:25 am

well, the Canadian education system does put alot of emphasis on the success we brought in the "unwinnable" battle of Vimy Ridge in WWI, and how the germans supposedly called us and the Australians "The Colonial Shocktroops"..

Tracey Duncan

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:26 am

Our education system would have you believe that we single-handedly beat both the Nazis AND the Japanese all by our lonesome while everyone else just sort of stood there on the sidelines watching.
The Time Car

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:48 am

Just throwing this out, At the start of WW2 the US army was smaller than Portugal's. Something like the 14th in the world. The USSR had the luxury of having the states give them billions in equipment, (lend lease) and ignoring Japan while the US fought a two front war.

Kim Bradley

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:36 pm

It's more of the event itself. People too often are using 21st century morals to judge historical figures. Had they not been brought up in the 21st century they may very well have supported Columbus. The whole world was pretty barbaric. The Aztecs weren't nice people having human sacrifices or the Native Americans brutal torture of captured enemies. But, people did not know better. Violence was more ingrained in the culture with capital punishment and mutilations a normal public showing.

America only joined the front in Europe after Germany had declared war on them. And the USA fought on those fronts with allies who accounted for over half the manpower. America had the luxury of being extremely far away from the Axis powers and having had 2 1/2 years of making money by supplying both sides. Russia was on its own on the Eastern front. It won because they had enormous manpower and German logistical error. The Germans moved too quickly into Russia with Blitzkrieg. This left soldiers without winter clothing and tanks without fuel. This ended with the ultimate collapse of the German 6th army at Stalingrad. Another error by the Germans. It was only taken because of its relationship to Stalin. Other areas had much greater strategic value.

Realistically, America joined for victory spoils. No wonder the brainwashing in schools is so great. The lend lease programmes, the Marshall plan, and the restructuring of Europe wasn't out the goodness of America's heart. Britain was forced to sacrifice its Empire which peaked in 1921 for the defeat of the Axis powers. If America had honourable intentions they would have joined from the outset.

Ludivine Dupuy

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 pm

No offense, but there's your problem.

I distinctly remember learning about the Eastern Front in my high school World History course. And this was a little Midwestern town.

Victor Oropeza

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:13 pm

No offense taken, I am fully aware how backwards it is down here, let's say our textbooks down here are rather...biased :P . Soviet = bad guys in the books.

One more month until I can move out at least.

Chris BEvan

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:42 am

My school taught that the Russians primarily were the reason Germany was defeated(which you would think given how small and redneck my town is, we'd have taught it was all the U.S.), but if you think Japan surrendered for any reason other then the U.S. you're deluding yourself. Our two nuclear strikes were the primary reason they bowed out of WW2.

Paul Rice

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:46 am

Colombus day, should be renamed white guilt day lol
Kristian Perez

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:04 am

Yeah, seriously. God forbid anything positive is said about the U.S. or a caucasion.

amhain

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:31 am

I have to say no to renaming it to America's Day. It's already been Columbus Day for a long time and there is no reason to change it. I honestly hate the "why aren't I included" mentality in today's society.

Sorry for double post. I'm on my phone.

Hope Greenhaw

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:28 pm

^this
Add Me

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:36 am

Ugh this kind of thinking annoys me. It was discovered for the known world. Of course the people who lived on previously undiscovered continents knew it was there. The whole era of discovery was discovering for your country. Hence why so many countries lay claim to Antarctica for example.

brb The Gigantosaurus discovered America because it lived in what is now the American continent when it was Pangea.

Guy Pearce

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 am

Instead of Columbus Day, why don't we celebrate the real first explorer to reach America in Leif Ericson Day?

Ringa-dinga-durgen
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:54 am

They already do in some states afaik :)

Matthew Warren

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:28 pm

In all fairness, I don't know if its so much "Why aren't I included?" as "Why are you celebrating a man that enslaved and murdered thousands of Natives?"

Although, generally, a lot of legendary historic 'heroes' turn out like that. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, Nelson Mandela led a group that committed brutal acts of violence, Teddy Roosevelt thought Mexicans were sub-human, and it turns out Atticus Finch was interested in eugenics.

Gotta take the bad with the good in some respects. People are products of their time. Columbus was a brave explorer and a man who's actions led to the first true joining of the Americas and Europe.....and he was also a harsh slaver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day

Yurga-hinger-dinger.

Anna Watts

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:28 am

Whoa, it's actually a thing? I have been lost for too long.

Though in Tommy J's defense, he did have a famial bond with his slaves, and I think he was in a relationship with one if I'm right.
Laura Simmonds

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:14 am

:lol: For the first part :)

The second is my take on things. Some person thought of something, translated something that hundreds of thousands of people before them never found or thought of and made some new discovery? Sorry, it is a very rare thing for a human being to come up with something nobody before ever thought of, or tried to prove. Technological advance? Yea, I believe it. Historical "re-writing?" Barring a new discovery (Diary, logs, other accounts), there is more than likely an "agenda" there. Skeptical, but not cynical.

But, we humans like to believe what we do, same for me. I'd rather "believe" (since I did not actually know the man) a nicer version, not someone else's version filled with judgements, especially judgements based on "new rules."

Nana Samboy

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:05 am

It's well known that FDR went over and punched Hitler in the face to end the war :P

I didn't bother to read up on it but did Zinn claim to find new writings or that the originals had translations with omitted info? I don't doubt that there's times when people will leave out or change the wording of touchy subjects when translating them or making the information available to children.

Hayley O'Gara

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games