WTF --- Why are bandits so powerful?

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:07 am

I'm specifically holding on to my perk points for Enchanting, Smithing, and possibly Potions. It's my belief Enchanting and Potions can take the place of the perks basic perk for one-handed and light armor. What gives here? I'm sick of getting my tail end handed to me (on default difficulty) by enemies that "should" be weaker. All of them kill me within 2-4 shots.
Chris Guerin

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:54 am

How many perks are you holding on to, precisely?
sexy zara

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm specifically holding on to my perk points for Enchanting, Smithing, and possibly Potions. It's my belief Enchanting and Potions can take the place of the perks basic perk for one-handed and light armor. What gives here? I'm sick of getting my tail end handed to me (on default difficulty) by enemies that "should" be weaker. All of them kill me within 2-4 shots.

If you are not putting perks into 1H and Light Armor what do you expect?
Brooke Turner

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 pm

If you haven't been spending any perk points, then that could very well be your problem.
katie TWAVA

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 am

I'm gonna guess the enemy is a heavy armored guy with a fire enchanted 2hander and you're wearing light armor. You're gonna get get OWNED!!!

Seems 1hander, shield and heavy armor is the only playstyle in this game that doesn't involve tons of frustration and running around.
ONLY ME!!!!

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Okay. Here's my point on that matter. Shouldn't it be our choice on what perks we wish to obtain? I feel obligated to throw points into one-handed, block, and archery. Where is the freedom of choice? Do we actually have 50 perk points to choose from? Or is it really less because certain perks are expected to be taken? Why am I playing "their" game? I thought I would be playing mine.
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:17 am

I have a solution for your problems. Start putting those points into Alchemy/Smithing/Enchanting and use your new found perks with those skills. Make good armor, enchant it and make loads of strong potions. Then go out and fight those bandits.

Edit: assuming of course you are "holding on to them" and haven't spent any yet.
Tiffany Holmes

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 am

No. Standard hide armor and a non-buffed Iron or Steel Warhammer or Battleaxe. Does anyone know what the default perks are that the enemy takes?

@ Ellert: That's kind of the idea. I'm going for a balanced PC -- stronger on the sword and board side of things. Magic is a support tool (ie: Restoration). I've already placed points in smithing and enchanting. Potion making has been left alone so far.
lolly13

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:29 am

No. Standard hide armor and a non-buffed Iron or Steel Warhammer or Battleaxe. Does anyone know what the default perks are that the enemy takes?

1. Things level with you to an extent. If they didn't there'd be no challenge.

2. If you are going to get by by enchanting/smithing/alchemy, you HAVE to use them. If you're only doing that stuff, you should be able to make amazing weapons/armour/poisons/potions that should get you by.

If you don't use the stuff you perk-up, you're not going to get anywhere.
Lucie H

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Okay. Here's my point on that matter. Shouldn't it be our choice on what perks we wish to obtain? I feel obligated to throw points into one-handed, block, and archery. Where is the freedom of choice? Do we actually have 50 perk points to choose from? Or is it really less because certain perks are expected to be taken? Why am I playing "their" game? I thought I would be playing mine.

It's up to you to spend the points in what area you want to be successful in. It sounds like you want to be successful in combat. If that is the case, you should invest points in combat. If you don't care about your success in combat, don't invest your points in combat, it is your choice.
Frank Firefly

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 am

I'm gonna guess the enemy is a heavy armored guy with a fire enchanted 2hander and you're wearing light armor. You're gonna get get OWNED!!!

Seems 1hander, shield and heavy armor is the only playstyle in this game that doesn't involve tons of frustration and running around.

Incorrect, sir.
Timara White

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Bandits usually are wearing some type of am that makes their perks stronger... i would suggest lvl up your weapons and armor... also if needs get a companion. :intergalactic:
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:29 am

Level scaling chuckles at its throne :)
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:06 am

How many perks are you holding on to, precisely?

I'm holding on to 13 at the moment.

I can make glass armor. I can enchant things with stamina and health. My block is up to Elemental protection. Oh, and base enchant is 4/5. And and and, I can improve Skyforge Steel to Legendary status.
gandalf

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 am

Does anyone know what the default perks are that the enemy takes?

You're making a massive assumption here, that Bethesda has created a consistent, rule-based system shared by all creatures, players, and npcs.

Hahahahaha, sorry, that was too funny. Bethesda would NEVER do something so...so...competent.

In reality, NPCs have waaayyyy larger health pools than the player, and in general deal waaaaay less damage. You can't really talk about what 'perks' they take - they're playing by different rules altogether.
Alexxxxxx

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 am

I'm holding on to 13 at the moment.

I can make glass armor. I can enchant things with stamina and health. My block is up to Elemental protection. Oh, and base enchant is 4/5. And and and, I can improve Skyforge Steel to Legendary status.

You can do these things but are you? You shouldn't be having any problem with any bandit at that level BUT you have to spend perks. Without putting perks in the base (the bottom most perk) of 1H, Light Armor or Block you are going to be severely gimped unless you are rocking extremely over powered weapons an armor.
Lovingly

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am

1. Things level with you to an extent. If they didn't there'd be no challenge.

No, if there were no level scaling there would be challenges you could overcome by reaching higher levels, as it is you are just making enemies more powerful by gaining levels.

Kind of backwards if you ask me.
Isabella X

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:12 am

I beg to differ. They must be given some basic perks. Otherwise, it would be too easy as others have stated. I have no way to prove my theory. But, I stick to my "assumption".
Samantha Wood

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:29 am

First, it sounds like you're not putting perk points into anything. Saving all your perk points for crafting that you apparently aren't doing just means you're not improving anything at all. If you were just crafting you'd likely have some pretty beefy armor, enchants and potions to make up for your inability to fight in any way.

Second, if you don't take any combat skills you can't realistically expect to be able to fight well.
Natasha Biss

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:15 pm

If you insist on being a smith then why do you leave town? The other NPCs don't leave town you know...
Brιonα Renae

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I beg to differ. They must be given some basic perks. Otherwise, it would be too easy as others have stated. I have no way to prove my theory. But, I stick to my "assumption".

Either way it doesn't matter. I'm level 17 with my new character (Block, 1H & Light Armor with some Smithing) and Bandit Marauders don't even put up a fight. You're gimping yourself somehow.
Rob Davidson

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 am

At level 15 I could 1HK a Bandit Marauder with my Iron Dagger with x30 damage on Master
Cheryl Rice

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Where is the freedom of choice? Really? You made the choice to gimp your character. With choices come consequences, sorry. Getting owned by bandits is a consequence of not using perks for combat. If that's such a problem, you also have the choice to lower the difficulty.
adam holden

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:21 am

So you are not placing perks in combat skills and now complaining mobs are owning you?

3 / 10
Mason Nevitt

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:00 am

I am trying to use perks where they count the most. If you can enhance one-handed through enchantments, do you really need the perk? It's possible that I'm gimped. I may make a one-handed enchanted ring or amulet. If it's even possible. But, I like to use those for elemental protection.
Jonathan Braz

Next

Return to V - Skyrim